Sponsored by:

CPO'd 997 2009: Good price?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by bave
07 S is a real bad deal. That car is a stripper and the 09 has the update, 2k miles, and effectively the same price.
I went to look at both cars and kinda disagree BOTH are good cars at the right price.
Originally Posted by Trader220
You can probably get the 09 brand new around 68-70 just for a comparison, but you're right with the CPO is a pretty good deal
Dealer says neither car is offered as a CPO as they are on the lot now. However they can do so at the customer's wishes AND of course additional cost.

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
CPO is the better deal, but I agree that it's plain jane on the options list. As you probably know, options don't add a lot of value to a used car so you want as many as possible in the used market.
See above. Both cars have remaining factory warranty only. CPO would be an extra cost or would need to negotiate that point.
Originally Posted by Giacomo
Between the two the 09 is the keeper. Now, an 07 C2 in the high $40's, that's another story.
Dealer will look at my options on the boxster and get back to me to see if we can get some good numbers that we both can live with! LOL
Originally Posted by BoxsterG
I always miss my Boxsters but I will get another one soon. That 09 is not a bad deal since it will CPO'd.
See above.
Originally Posted by uvgaal
The s is the better deal. Nobody wants the c2 in two years time (thats when you probably would want to sell it looking at ur history). hell nobody wants it right now. The price does not matter, interest rates are zero. the c2 will end up being way more expensive then the s.
I kinda agree in a way. My 1st '05 997 was a base car and not an S and I ended up saving $4k or so at the dealer but putting almost 1/2 that back in the car with an aftermarket exhaust and dual pipes and some things that the S already had. So yeah sometimes it is just better to buy the S instead of the non S I agree. Now if it comes to $$$ and they come back with a reasonable price pt for the 07 S; I'd take that one likely vs the 09 non S as I could absorb more equity loss I will have with my 09 Boxster since I haven't had it that long.
As for selling in 2 yrs? NO that was a spouse induced mistake selling my 05 997...I've regretted it almost every day since! Will not make that one again!
Old 11-30-2009, 10:03 PM
uvgaal
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Will not make that one again!
What makes you so confident? Did you get rid of her?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:51 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uvgaal
What makes you so confident? Did you get rid of her?
No she got my 09 Cayenne S so I think that dept is now covered and if I upgrade back to a 997 I will be left alone! LOL
Old 12-01-2009, 12:23 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always like to value the wholesale Porsche 911 market - at least in my region -. I get calls all the time and normally can get close to manheim numbers.

I don't count much for options (15% markup) - I go straight to invoice - and then back up $7-8k per year. Generally, that gets me in the right ballpark as what wholesale is worth.

$85k MSRP New - Invoice - $73-ish - depends on model
-$8k - $65k.

Sounds like this car isn't marked so high - I think closer to $62k is wholesale.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:18 AM
Dave in Oregon
Instructor

Funny, how we tend to gravitate to what we are used to. I had a reverse response. I owned a 2001 Boxster S that I custom ordered and took delivery in October of 2000. It was the BEST Porsche I have ever owned and I had owned 3 911's previously. However, I lusted after the 997 ever since it was introduced in 2005. Last August I picked up a used 2007 997 C4S with only 9500 miles for $66,000 and sold the Boxster for $19,000. While the 997 C4s is a definite upgrade in terms of comfort and response, I still miss the simplicity and nimbleness of the Boxster. Both Porsches are excellent sports cars but they are like comparing apples and oranges. I am still adjusting to the difference in driving styles. While I cannot say one is necessarily better than the other, I can say that the mid-engine is a superior handler and that if Porsche ever slapped the 911 engine into the the Boxster/Cayman line, it would be curtains for the 911 as we know it ! It is not easy to appreciate the difference of these two cars during ordinary street driving, but on the track is where you will appreciate the handling prowess of the mid engine. I would suggest taking your '09 Boxster to a Driver Eduscation (DE) track day to get a new appreciation for just what this car is made of. After I took delivery of my Boxster S in 2000, I took it to DE days at Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, and PIR in Portland. THAT mad me realy appreciate the handling prowess of this magnificent two seater.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:55 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave in Oregon
Funny, how we tend to gravitate to what we are used to. I had a reverse response. I owned a 2001 Boxster S that I custom ordered and took delivery in October of 2000. It was the BEST Porsche I have ever owned and I had owned 3 911's previously. However, I lusted after the 997 ever since it was introduced in 2005. Last August I picked up a used 2007 997 C4S with only 9500 miles for $66,000 and sold the Boxster for $19,000. While the 997 C4s is a definite upgrade in terms of comfort and response, I still miss the simplicity and nimbleness of the Boxster. Both Porsches are excellent sports cars but they are like comparing apples and oranges. I am still adjusting to the difference in driving styles. While I cannot say one is necessarily better than the other, I can say that the mid-engine is a superior handler and that if Porsche ever slapped the 911 engine into the the Boxster/Cayman line, it would be curtains for the 911 as we know it ! It is not easy to appreciate the difference of these two cars during ordinary street driving, but on the track is where you will appreciate the handling prowess of the mid engine. I would suggest taking your '09 Boxster to a Driver Eduscation (DE) track day to get a new appreciation for just what this car is made of. After I took delivery of my Boxster S in 2000, I took it to DE days at Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, and PIR in Portland. THAT mad me realy appreciate the handling prowess of this magnificent two seater.
Thanks Dave. Appreciate it. Will see what what becomes of the 997 upgrade search and the dealer's numbers. Am not above keeping the car like others have said but if I have a preference for reasons you mentioned space, and comfort the 997 wins as I don't have to plan out what I am doing in the car (i.e. don't plan to go shopping while in the Boxster unless it'll fit in the front seat! LOL) With the Carrera I never thought much about it...also my 2 kids do fit in the Carrera eventho I have a 4 seat BMW for that...there have been multiple times when I've had to pick them up from someplace and I am in the Boxster....opps! I also agree tho a fully non-detuned flat 6/997 or 997 S engine in a 987 would be a beast. Maybe they should do that with the new Boxster Sypder since it will be a unique and special ed vehicle I hear.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Dave in Oregon
Instructor

Mdrobc, I appreciate your need for space since you have two lil' ones. If that were the case for me, then the Carrera would be THE car ! Good luck with your search and I hope that you find the perfect car for you.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:05 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I
I kinda agree in a way. My 1st '05 997 was a base car and not an S and I ended up saving $4k or so at the dealer but putting almost 1/2 that back in the car with an aftermarket exhaust and dual pipes and some things that the S already had. So yeah sometimes it is just better to buy the S instead of the non S I agree. Now if it comes to $$$ and they come back with a reasonable price pt for the 07 S; I'd take that one likely vs the 09 non S as I could absorb more equity loss I will have with my 09 Boxster since I haven't had it that long.
As for selling in 2 yrs? NO that was a spouse induced mistake selling my 05 997...I've regretted it almost every day since! Will not make that one again!

One thing to consider. A 2009 C2 has the same power as a 2007 C2S. I think the 2009 deal is excellent.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:33 AM
bave
Advanced

I went to look at both cars and kinda disagree BOTH are good cars at the right price.
It is your money, but I disagree. The 2007 is a pretty typical car, none of the desirable options. It doesn't have full leather, PSE, Sport Chrono, *** or anything else that really drives enthusiasts to purchase a car. Then at 62k you can find far better vehicles.

I have seen a number of 07 C2S and C4S with similar or less mileage, far better optioned, sell for far less. Mid to low 50's.

The 09 on the other hand is a good deal, the base model will perform pretty close to the prior gen S and has a similar level of options, mostly just creature comforts, but is simply the newer model with the upgraded engine.

It's a no brainer for me, colors being aside.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:17 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bave
It is your money, but I disagree. The 2007 is a pretty typical car, none of the desirable options. It doesn't have full leather, PSE, Sport Chrono, *** or anything else that really drives enthusiasts to purchase a car. Then at 62k you can find far better vehicles.

I have seen a number of 07 C2S and C4S with similar or less mileage, far better optioned, sell for far less. Mid to low 50's.

The 09 on the other hand is a good deal, the base model will perform pretty close to the prior gen S and has a similar level of options, mostly just creature comforts, but is simply the newer model with the upgraded engine.

It's a no brainer for me, colors being aside.
Bave....reread what I didn't say...I said both are good cars..at the right money! 62k is TOO much for that 07 997 base which also a non CPO car which means it would reach its warranty in 2010 earliest or another 33,000 miles whichever came 1st. The 2009 the dealer seems to have magically moved up from $65k on the internet sale back to $67995 when I went to see it and also is NON certified. Says the car came from one of his customers who buys a new Porsche every 8 months or so....hmm either the guys is crazy or I am to believe that one!

Either way like I said for the right price...either car is good but I think and you guys are confirming that better prices are out there!
Old 12-03-2009, 11:18 AM
uvgaal
Rennlist Member

Every time somebody asks for a price on an 06 or 07 the only feedback seems to be that its way too high. Thats just a load of bs . All this is based on is the one insane deal that somebody got on a car he bought somewhere in april/may when the stock market was in the tank and everybody thought the world was falling apart. the 62k is asking price. you can probably get it for 15% less. there is nothing wrong with it. if you like it get it. There always somebody out there who got a better deal.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:06 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Says the car came from one of his customers who buys a new Porsche every 8 months or so....hmm either the guys is crazy or I am to believe that one!
I've now hung out on this forum long enough to see that some people really do this.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:10 AM
plz
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dD/dt
I've now hung out on this forum long enough to see that some people really do this.
I suspect the people who really do it a lot never hang out on forums.

Quick Reply: CPO'd 997 2009: Good price?