Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTMS

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009 | 08:08 PM
Pincomar
Advanced

Default PTMS

The weather was nice today so fitted my winter wheels/tyres to my car. This will be the 4th year I have used these TPMS equiped wheels, but the first time I have used them on my 997.2 (previously on my 997.1). I selected Winter Tyres in the TPM menu, but then the car fails to detect the new wheels? A couple of ideas:

The batteries need replacing in the TPMS?

Something has changed in TPMS between 997.1 and 997.2?

It now takes more than a 15 mile drive to recognise the wheels? (It didn't used to).

Ideas welcome!

Mark.
Old 11-28-2009 | 08:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

There is a change to the TPMS since the 997.1 design. I have found that it takes at least 10 miles for the car to 'acquire' the new signals. Give it some time.
Old 11-28-2009 | 10:34 PM
uvgaal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pincomar
The weather was nice today so fitted my winter wheels/tyres to my car. This will be the 4th year I have used these TPMS equiped wheels, but the first time I have used them on my 997.2 (previously on my 997.1). I selected Winter Tyres in the TPM menu, but then the car fails to detect the new wheels? A couple of ideas:

The batteries need replacing in the TPMS?

Something has changed in TPMS between 997.1 and 997.2?

It now takes more than a 15 mile drive to recognise the wheels? (It didn't used to).

Ideas welcome!

Mark.
Not answering your question but why are you putting on winter tires? Its gonna be 64 tomorrow in Nashville. Arent you afraid you’ll wear them down very quick?
Old 11-28-2009 | 11:55 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Gen 2 has a new more responsive TPMS.
The wheel senders are different for Gen2

With the correct sensors it will calibrate in blocks, not miles!
Old 11-29-2009 | 12:02 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

my 997.2 TPMS learned 3 while sitting on shop floor and the 4th after about 120 ft.
Old 11-29-2009 | 12:06 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Some TPMS Info:

Unlike the previous system, the new TPM system no longer has individual antennas in the wheel housings, but has trigger transmitters, a central antenna, and enhanced wheel electronics.
The new wheel electronics unit in the wheels not only has a transmitter or sender, but also a receiver. This means that it can only send information when requested to do so by a trigger signal. On one hand, pressure values are updated quickly after starting the system or adjusting the tire pressure at a service station using a rapid sequence of triggers, while on the other hand, this reduces energy requirements as there are no more triggers and the pressure sensor does not send any more signals after the ignition is switched off. Compared to the previous system, in which each pressure sensor sends one signal per minute even with the ignition switched off, the new energy manage- ment system and a larger battery in the wheel electronics unit have succeeded in increasing the battery service life by up to 30%.

Each wheel has a wheel electronics unit fitted at the valve and a trigger transmitter on the body side in each wheel hous- ing. This sends a 125 kHz impulse to the related wheel electronics unit using a sig- nal from the TPM control unit, thereby triggering the wheel electronics unit, which transmits the pressure-related information to the central antenna. The central antenna is positioned almost cen- trally under the floor of the vehicle. The bi-directional capability of the trigger system makes the new generation TPM system considerably more robust and faster.

Teaching process
Following a wheel change and the subsequent selection of the new set of tires in the TPM menu, the relevant positions of the new wheels are taught to the new TPM system generally after approx. 60 seconds (previously: generally after approx. 10 minutes).
Old 11-29-2009 | 10:28 AM
Pincomar
Advanced

Default TPMS

Originally Posted by uvgaal
Not answering your question but why are you putting on winter tires? Its gonna be 64 tomorrow in Nashville. Arent you afraid you’ll wear them down very quick?
It is all about the averages here. Historically I know that from the first week in December it starts to get cold here. To be able to change the wheels when it is mild is just too good an opportunity to pass up. I will be honest I am not sure you even need winter tires here, but I am committed to driving the car every day, rain or shine (and that includes snow, ice, etc).

Mark.
Old 11-29-2009 | 10:31 AM
Pincomar
Advanced

Default So...

Originally Posted by MJones
Some TPMS Info:

Unlike the previous system, the new TPM system no longer has individual antennas in the wheel housings, but has trigger transmitters, a central antenna, and enhanced wheel electronics.
The new wheel electronics unit in the wheels not only has a transmitter or sender, but also a receiver. This means that it can only send information when requested to do so by a trigger signal. On one hand, pressure values are updated quickly after starting the system or adjusting the tire pressure at a service station using a rapid sequence of triggers, while on the other hand, this reduces energy requirements as there are no more triggers and the pressure sensor does not send any more signals after the ignition is switched off. Compared to the previous system, in which each pressure sensor sends one signal per minute even with the ignition switched off, the new energy manage- ment system and a larger battery in the wheel electronics unit have succeeded in increasing the battery service life by up to 30%.

Each wheel has a wheel electronics unit fitted at the valve and a trigger transmitter on the body side in each wheel hous- ing. This sends a 125 kHz impulse to the related wheel electronics unit using a sig- nal from the TPM control unit, thereby triggering the wheel electronics unit, which transmits the pressure-related information to the central antenna. The central antenna is positioned almost cen- trally under the floor of the vehicle. The bi-directional capability of the trigger system makes the new generation TPM system considerably more robust and faster.

Teaching process
Following a wheel change and the subsequent selection of the new set of tires in the TPM menu, the relevant positions of the new wheels are taught to the new TPM system generally after approx. 60 seconds (previously: generally after approx. 10 minutes).
Does that mean that 'origninal' TPMS sensors won't work with the new system? It certainly sounds like it?

Mark.
Old 11-29-2009 | 11:59 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

^
Probably not correctly if at all
Old 11-30-2009 | 11:35 PM
Pincomar
Advanced

Originally Posted by MJones
^
Probably not correctly if at all
My dealer tells me you are correct. 997.2 uses a different TPMS system from 997.1 and the original transmitters don't work. $700 + installation. Perfect!

Mark.
Old 12-01-2009 | 01:06 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Excellent info from MJones....thanks for sharing !!

$700?..... I think price might be $450 or less from the right source.....including valves stems, mounting screw, monitor, and valve caps......install is a DIY in 20 minutes (before the tires are mounted of course )

Quick Reply: PTMS