Sponsored by:

997.2 FVD Brombacher ECU Flash Report

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 02:19 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JSeven
So Porsche needs to open the engine and put new cams, new exhaust system, new intake , new ECU and other minor mods and still only gets 28Hp with their X51 option, they were the ones who build this engine.

And FVD with new exhaust system and ECU gets 44Hp

I know FDV is a very old Porsche tuner, but please, do you really believe your car is making 44hp more?????????????? If that´s make you happy that´s cool, but doesn´t give much credibility to your knowledge.

J.Seven
I hear ya! And I appreciate your disbelief. I totally agree some exhaust/ECU power gain claims are pure BS Especially if they are not header back systems.

Please keep in mind the horsepower number (44 that I saw) is the sum total of:
1. Full headers, 200 cell cats, eliminated center can, optimized pulse scavenging, full length larger diameter tubing, gas flow conducive bends. See their site for the full info.
2. An ECU flash that allows me to take full advantage of 100 Octane unleaded fuel. Which is what I always use (noted in a different post with pic of the local pump). It would be a safe bet the 100 produced the "extra" 6 hp I saw (over FVD's claims of 38hp/29tq)

Not sure if you looked at the pics in my exhaust install post, but the FVD piping bends were opened up at every point. The stock hydroformed headers, if you closely examine them, are greatly compromised with various crimps and pinches and the cats mounted way too close so as to optimize cold-start light off for emissions, but at the expense of power/torque.

The beautiful thing about this system is the nature of the power delivery:

The longer tube length of the headers greatly enhance torque across the lower/mid part of the curve. This is what you want for everyday driving. Top end HP at the expense of low end torque is just stupid for a street car.

The dyno chart also shows the top end HP gain that comes from increased tubing diameter, which would otherwise kill torque.

Result- linear power delivery from bottom to top. And you don't have to rev the crap out of it to get to the power.

While a Dynolicious is not a perfect solution for obtaining objective results, it is generally considered very accurate if used as instructed. And far more objective than the butt dyno.

I 've not read anywhere claiming FVD doctored a dyno sheet, and I have certainly read some other mfg's have shown unrepeatable power gains.

And why would they go to all the trouble to manufacture a system of such visibly high-quality and put their reputation at stake to lie about the power? Based on my experience with anyone there that I had contact with, they are not about hype and marketing BS. Rhonda is no order taking secretary, she knows her product inside and out and there is never any feeling of just trying to sell you something.

If you read all the FVD posts, you will find my experience with them is typical.

Hell, I asked for a quote and they were willing to build me a full titanium system! But I choked on the price What other manufacturer even could do that for a 997.2 C4S? And stand behind it with a warranty against cracking?

Anyhow... just some food for thought.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:38 PM
asu_lee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 964C4
Thanks for your replies, you 2 !

I asked my questions, because:

- SOFTRONIC says their file is 1MB as opposed to 128KB from other companies. - My tuner, who is highly experienced with chip tuning, says that flashing through the OBD port is not the real way of modifying the ECU. He says, the loaded file goes like on top of the OE file... So, a 128KB file is "lighter" and a 1MB file could be heavier...

- Loosing the tuned file if dealer puts updates: I understand that at any time I can flash back the tuned file, but how do I know if the update erased my tuning ? Maybe with "real" chip tuning (sending the ECU to the tuner, instead of flashing with a cable through the OBD port) the tuning is more solid

Again, I am not a pro, but I've read a lot and just post here what I've found. If I am wrong, please educate me

Your tuner is full of crap.

The code simply does this...a subroutine is inserted and is run as a branch off the main program(with its own parameters). If the chips were older, the size of the code would be very important. It takes less time to run through a program with 10 commands than say 1000 commands. As chips are improved the number of commands is not as important....but still important as the same rules still apply. Does the 128k subroutine work better than the 4M subroutine? If the 4m program and the 128k program do the same thing, I'd say the 128k programmer is more skilled than the 4M programmer.

Burning the code on the chip is not any better than having a subroutine....unless the total code is smaller. Too small can be bad too...If sensors work every 3ms and your code is querying every 1ms that can be an issue as well. It is complicated. I do not mess with it as there are too many variables that experts need to understand. I just don't have a good feeling that a couple of guys in a tuning shop know how the CPU on my car works. I know and it is extremely complicated. You need to look at A/F mixtures as you can run rich and get more ponies as well.

For a non computer example, think about talking to someone with a great vocabulary and someone with a bad vocabulary. Lets say you are talking to the person with a good vocabulary and the word "melancholily" is used. The person with the bad vocabulary needs to explain "melancholily" which is more words than "melancholily". (128K vs 4M of code)

Good luck,
-Lee
Old 12-12-2009, 07:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Yeah, I never know about all these claims of 30-40hp on a new Naturally asperated Porsche. My thoughts are with the Porsche X51 are:
Porsche has to tune the car for all type of fuel and keep the engine safe with different climates and fuel and driving styles.

I would think with a X51 engine if you opened up the exhaus and intaket some more and tuned for car for this you would see mosre than stock engines with the same aftermarket parts.

I always believe in the theory that if you change 1 thing you have to change other things because everything has to work as a system.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Savyboy,

Just wanted to ask you for your feedback since you have had the set up on the car for a few months now. Anything of interest? Any issues? By the way the GT3 is getting much closer now, right? Can't wait to see the pics!

Thanks,
Rhonda

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Want to learn more about us? Click here...

Old 02-24-2010, 06:14 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rhonda@FVD
Savyboy,

Just wanted to ask you for your feedback since you have had the set up on the car for a few months now. Anything of interest? Any issues? By the way the GT3 is getting much closer now, right? Can't wait to see the pics!

Thanks,
Rhonda
Funny you ask...

Heading to Spring Mountain for the Las Vegas PCA DE event this weekend. Super stoked to scrub the remaining tread off the tires. Also have my Race-Keeper video/data system fully tuned- so should have some good video/sound to post, and feedback from other attendees.

The car has been running 100% in all of our snow and cold weather. No CEL since the flash. Very happy with the investment in my FVD exhaust system and flash!

Issues? Yes- not enough opportunities street driving to wring it out and let it sing 5000 rpm to redline is like a narcotic. Aural crack-cocaine. Musical nicotine.

RS will be in port this weekend, and hopefully at dealer a few days after that. If luck holds should take delivery second week of March.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:41 AM
MusicCity_997
Intermediate

Savyboy's claims of HP gains seem very realistic to me.

I have a race car (not a p-car) that is running a true standalone engine management (megasquirt). With my laptop I am able to alter air-fuel ratios, advance, injector pulse characteristics, and the list goes on so I'm familiar with the hp gains tuning can yield. On the dyno, playing with just air fuel ratios and advance can yield significant improvements. I would imagine that our 997's were designed to run with 93 octane so switching to 100 octane, improving the airflow and then tuning to take full advantage of these improvements should yield significant improvements.

Congrats Savyboy.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 PM
SKYKING
Advanced

Savyboy, how was the DE this past weekend? Please tell us how the new system performed now that you have broken in the complete setup. Software + exhaust system.
Any issues at all?
Thanks
Old 03-02-2010, 02:39 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by SKYKING
Savyboy, how was the DE this past weekend? Please tell us how the new system performed now that you have broken in the complete setup. Software + exhaust system.
Any issues at all?
Thanks
Issues...Yes, my issue was driving through multiple duststorms on the way there and partially plugged the air filters! Ugh I guess I learned to carry some torx drivers to open the airbox. I had to "run as I 'brung".

None the less, in my run group, white, as I was new to this track, I was passed only by a 07 GT3 on Cups and a Dodge Viper ACR on slicks (all makes were welcome. Lots of Porsche, Corvettes, BMW m's, etc). Otherwise held my own. It sounds phenomenal on the track and ran flawlessly.

Using Sport Plus in video, so all shifts are being managed by the electronics. I am not shifting manually.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56-1_rrcvbE
Attached Images     
Old 03-02-2010, 03:59 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

I thought the FVD Stage 3 came with BMC filters ?

Nice pic with the E92 M3 stuck behind you. How did it compare on the track ? I know driver skills are always involved, but you did you feel the M3 was against you ?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:07 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Car sounds great in the video! Interesting challenging track too. I thought the FVD system came with BMC filters?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 PM
savyboy
Drifting

I did not order the BMC filters with the FVD set-up as I did not want to deal with cleaning them (an oiled element). Been there, done that, no thanks even for a couple HP.

I don't know how it compared to the M3's as they were always behind me...lol. Seriously. That pic was after a run group start and the closest any of them ever were to me. I think we averaged 8 laps per session and I usually lapped the slower folks at least once. Not the Beemers though.

The 997.2 can outbrake any other street car I know of that you will find on a track. So corners were an easy area to make time. Go deep, threshold brake, trail a touch to the apex. I didn't want to be an jerk and shove the nose of my car up the rear of the car in front of me coming into corners, but hard not to do. Also, being a White group I think most folks were not quite as comfortable as I was on the straights where I would hit 120-125 (back straight). Thanks PSDS training!

My PCCB's were flawless, the rotors look pristine, and pad wear is minimal. I don't comprehend folks that say they are not appropriate for track? That is such BS. I have 16 track sessions on mine now. Tried to get the Pagid P50 greens installed for this event just to try them, but the correct ones for the rear didn't arrive on time (my fault).

Let me see what other in-car footage I have and I will try to start another thread and not hi-jack my own thread- haha...

Last edited by savyboy; 03-03-2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: correct "the M3" to "the M3's"
Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 964C4
I thought the FVD Stage 3 came with BMC filters ?

Nice pic with the E92 M3 stuck behind you. How did it compare on the track ? I know driver skills are always involved, but you did you feel the M3 was against you ?
At a tight technical track the BigMW would have a tough time.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:53 AM
giorgioerrani
Track Day

very good, FVD Brombacher is well known as being quite good (even if 44 HP seems too much for me...)

just interesting in knowing if you have checked how many Db have you got now at 5000 RPM

thanks
Old 03-12-2010, 11:11 AM
rvklein
Racer

savyboy, I love your RS's color combination and as a whole I don't really like the new RS decals.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:05 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by giorgioerrani
very good, FVD Brombacher is well known as being quite good (even if 44 HP seems too much for me...)

just interesting in knowing if you have checked how many Db have you got now at 5000 RPM

thanks
I am curious myself. Idle to about 2500 RPM is not loud, just deeper and rumbly. Avoid big/quick throttle and it is quite civilized. But running up the throttle it does get loud. I think Rhonda told me it was around 98db mid-throttle and 102db at WOT? She might chime in and clarify.

Originally Posted by rvklein
savyboy, I love your RS's color combination and as a whole I don't really like the new RS decals.
Thank you for your kind comments. Another poster, in France I believe has some camera phone pics of his delivered Blue/Gold car in a thread and it looks so sharp. He went with reds though and not PCCB. I think with the ceramics it will be awesome. But then now all the RS combo's look great to me. If Porsche would EVER RELEASE MY RS FROM PORT (Boston) where it has been sitting for 12 days I could take and post some actual pictures! haha...

I saw a Cream White '10 GT3 today at Thunderhill and it looked fantastic.

Quick Reply: 997.2 FVD Brombacher ECU Flash Report