Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man, what happened to "paint to sample" prices? Waay high...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

It is ridiculous. We paint a variety of finishes every day, and yes, there are some (mostly tri-stage) finishes that cost 2x or 3x over the basics. But beyond the minor material costs, the labor is NO different.

The paint systems at Porsche are all computerized, and paint flows directly from the computerized mixing station to the guns. They do need to set up for it, so there is some breakdown/buildup/delay cost, but regardless, the differential b/w a PTS and standard finish process could not be more than 1k, if that.

Why is it so insanely high? Why does Porsche rape us on nearly every option?

BECAUSE THEY CAN, and we sort of like this stuff, so we're willing to pay for it.

Agree, exchange rate has some effect, but overall, it's just pure profit for Porsche. You should, however, do as you wish, as it is your money, your car.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Bruce R
Three Wheelin'

Received 478 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Here you go.

I've owned it since September. Did I say how happy I was? Part of that giddiness could be my first 911 feeling, part also because I can share my car with my girls and certainly part of it is the pts Maritime.
Attached Images      
Old 11-26-2009, 11:24 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

i dont think its "that" bad, the interior to sample is almost a steal at 240$ more than the red/other specialty colors.. for 240$ id love to order it but dont wanna do the waiting game
Old 11-26-2009, 11:40 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 92 Posts

These are mass production automobiles. It's the assembly line disruption/diversion that costs. I have a friend that's a higher-up at Audi. They offer the same service for around the same price and say it's essentially at cost but done to attract a certain customer.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:12 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i dont think its "that" bad, the interior to sample is almost a steal at 240$ more than the red/other specialty colors.. for 240$ id love to order it but dont wanna do the waiting game
The part of this that you need to understand is the complexity and expense down the road if something covered in that special leather to sample part fails. Then you could be without a matching mirror or something else for nearly a year. As with many manufacturing operations, they are not set up for ease of future supportability. So factor that into your desires. Paint to sample is one thing. Leather to sample brings with it an entirely different set of issues.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:06 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

Bruce, the car looks incredible. Thanks for sharing the pics--you look pretty happy, dude.

I recently went to Munich and took delivery of my BMW, at which time I also took a tour of the factory and witnessed the paint part of the line in full swing. I just wanted to add that I saw them go from red to black from one car to the next. I asked our tour guide and he said it was a custom color and the system was controlled from a glass room across from us where three men were working on what looked like large computers overlooking the paint area. Then the next car went back to red. There was no delay at ALL. The cars just kept moving on their line.

While I haven't toured the Porsche plant, I can say without hesitation, there was ZERO delay on the BMW line. The tips of the spray guns were self cleaning so they could purge the last color instantly and move to another. They would even change the color of primer which was somewhat tied to the color of the paint; darker color paints got darker primer, etc.

So, I don't know why the cost is so obscene, and it is obscene, but to say that you must pay to be different.

While I love silver, black and white, they are just too common for me to buy. I swear I see three 997's in black a day. Not bad, just common. In my opinion it's bad enough Porsche is banging these things out at more than 100,000 units now (997 models), (http://www.themotorreport.com.au/113...-reaches-100k/), I just don't want a common color.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:59 AM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry, but I think the increase may be my fault. I pointed out the marginal cost of paint to sample over the special paint was pretty small, making it a relative bargain. [Paint Color thread from 6/18/08 if you want to see the same kind of responses back then.]
Old 12-01-2009, 09:08 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

We needed someone to pin it on--you da' man.

My PTS color request has been sent in, so let's see what they come back with. I am in no hurry to get the car so I'm not concerned how long it takes.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Bruce R
Three Wheelin'

Received 478 Likes on 190 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
We needed someone to pin it on--you da' man.

My PTS color request has been sent in, so let's see what they come back with. I am in no hurry to get the car so I'm not concerned how long it takes.
How about mentioning the PTS request, or are you going to keep us in the dark through the dark of winter Just mean, plain mean
Old 12-01-2009, 02:40 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

I provided three mystery colors,..I'll let you know what they come back with approving. Then begins the nogotiating on price etc.

I'm hearing a lot of negative comments regarding Porsche's Euro Delivery program and am not sure I want to use them. I did a BMW one in Sept that was just incredible. I may bail on the Euro thing.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:32 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I provided three mystery colors,..I'll let you know what they come back with approving. Then begins the nogotiating on price etc.

I'm hearing a lot of negative comments regarding Porsche's Euro Delivery program and am not sure I want to use them. I did a BMW one in Sept that was just incredible. I may bail on the Euro thing.
MJONES has informed us that PTS is over for MY'10. He said they usually cut it off in Feb. but moved the cut off date up for '10. Think you'll have to wait for a MY'11 to get one. Sounds like about a one year wait to me. But if your in no hurry...

Phil
Old 12-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

If you're trying a P.T.S. AND a Euro Delivery I think you missed the boat--unless it's a color they have done on a 997 already. You're inside that tight window.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:15 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

That is unfortunate, but I'm willing to wait so it will not be a problem from my end.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 233 Posts

I love having my car in PTS. OTOH, if Orange was a standard available color on the TT I would have just gotten it!
Next one will most likely be PTS too!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:02 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Hi Dave. You're a car maniac. I love your new car, and admire you and the others to have the courage to go off the beaten path of colors. I'm not far behind, hopefully.

Quick Reply: Man, what happened to "paint to sample" prices? Waay high...