Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Taking Thier 997 On A Long Thanksgiving Trip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by fgv1it
Well, I am glad to hear and see that there were P-cars on the road this week. I just finished a trip from Houston to Augusta, GA and back, and saw exactly three Porsches: a red Boxster near Slidell, LA; a red Cayenne on I-65 north of Mobile, AL and a black Boxster on I-10 in Texas on the way back. That was it. I have to say that like some of you here, I was also guilty for the scarcity of Porsches on the road: I was in a Mercedes.

Macster, I hope you did not have any deer sightings on this trip.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, and enjoy the leftovers.
No deer, well no live ones. Saw a few carcasses on side of the highway.

Home safe and sound. Nice uneventfull trip. The kind I like. Oh, take that back. Had the worst Thanksgiving dinner ever in Amarillo at "fancy" restaurant. Didn't even have any roast turkey. Overly dry roast beef. Never again. Should have pressed on to Albuquerque and eaten at one of the nice large hotels that put out a good holiday spread. Stopped one year and on a whim skipped over the traditional turkey, roast beef, roast pork, chicken and even fish and had enchiladas. Oh man they were delicious!

Saw maybe 4 Porsches, one black Cayman and a couple of late model 911s and one Boxster. Most I've seen out and about for a while. Sometimes I can make this 4000+ mile round trip and not see one other Porsche on the road.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

[QUOTE=OCBen;7105171]You need to keep in mind that most owners of 997s don't regard their cars as anything extraordinarily special - it really is just a car to them. They're not driving down the road wondering who will notice them, glancing at passing cars to see if someone does and decides to wave or throw out a thumbs up. It's not an exotic they're driving, which can be expected to garner a few stares.

If you're a teenager or in your early 20s and you don't see many 997s where you live, your excitement at seeing one is understandable, as it is indeed a fine looking automobile. But don't be offended if the driver doesn't look your way or acknowledge your presence on the road, or "flashes" back at you. And don't think of them as snobs either for ignoring you while minding their own business, behaving just like any other driver on the road, driving what is just a car to them.[/QUOTE]

This must be a symptom of living in LA, a 997 is just a car to them. Not in my area and even though this is my 5th Porsche, it's special to me every time I drive it. But that's just me living in the Northeast.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:23 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
This must be a symptom of living in LA, a 997 is just a car to them. Not in my area and even though this is my 5th Porsche, it's special to me every time I drive it. But that's just me living in the Northeast.
Read the post again.

I said most owners which certainly includes the two drivers in a row he spotted, and about 90% of owners of 997s. I made the statement so he can realize that they were likely not being snobbish by ignoring him; they were just behaving like the overwhelming majority of 997 owners.

Your exception doesn't negate my statement. You just happen to fall in the small minority of 997 owners, who happen to make up the majority of members of forums such as this one. The overwhelming majority of 997 owners aren't enthusiasts who frequent forums such as this, which was my point.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

I understand your point, it's hard to understand how someone would spend 100k for a sports car and not be considered an enthusiast. Oh well, guess there is no way to get facts around that one.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:05 AM
OCBen
Banned

See this post: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ml#post7082813
Old 12-01-2009, 12:57 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
... it's hard to understand how someone would spend 100k for a sports car and not be considered an enthusiast. Oh well, guess there is no way to get facts around that one.
Not everyone spends 100k on a 997. Some are second or third owners and they may have spent only 40k, 50k, 60k for theirs. And those who do spend 100k may just happen to have more disposable income than most. Doesn't make them any more of an enthusiast by spending that kind of money.

See this thread for more: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ml#post7082813
Old 12-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MyEmily
Vegas baby!!!
Same here. Spent all last week in Vegas for the wife's b-day. Only won $50, but didn't really gamble much.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:50 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say those that will spend $40- 50 - 60k for a pre-owned 911 are probably more into the vehicle than the people buying them off the showroom floor. That's just my 2 cents from sitting on the other side of the table and doing the deals (too bad it wasn't in a really happening mkt as I loved the job.)

$100k is broken down many ways into forms people think they can afford.

Quick Reply: Anyone Taking Thier 997 On A Long Thanksgiving Trip?