Sponsored by:

2010 C4S - the OEM 408hp Powerkit

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:38 AM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 C4S - the OEM 408hp Powerkit

From Porsche website: Engine upgrade to 408 hp. Comprised of modified cylinder heads, carbon-fiber air filter casing (upper part), new variable resonance intake manifold with six tuning flaps, sports exhaust system featuring specially designed twin dual-tube tailpipes and modified engine management. Note: also available in conjunction with PDK.

This is a $16k option in 2010 C4S. What do people think about this? I'm also already considering ditching my 2009 (have to figure out how to get out of the lease) and ordering a 2010 from scratch w/ that Powerkit option and w/ paddle-shift PDK. Anyone here own a Malacite Green Metallic? I'm sure I'll get laughed out of the forum, but planning on ordering that w/ matching color wheels and cocoa leather interior.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:27 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The few guys here that have had the X-51 power kit seem to like it. You get killed on the resale value for the X-51 option (relative to the $16k you paid for it) but what the hell... it's only money, right?

Malacite Green Metallic is a good looking color, very different. However, I am not sure about "matching wheels" though.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:04 PM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

ic, so the OEM Powerkit option is called X-51. I'd assume this forum has threads regarding that?
Ya, I really like the dark wheels but didnt think I can pull off black wheels.

Thank you Tim.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How we in the UK envy your freedom to choose bold colours for your 911s. GT-series aside, if you even veer for a millisecond from silver or black the dealer will start tutting and shaking his head - he's just thinking forward 2 or 3 years when he hopes to take that car back from you and turn a pretty penny when he moves it on. The consequence - every damn Porsche in England is silver, grey or black (mine included).

My dealer has a malachite Targa which was the UK press launch car for the 997.2 - in the metal it is drop-dead gorgeous - so go for it. But be advised the green has a strong silver element to it and would go better (IMHO) with silver wheels and a stone grey or black interior - not sure brown would work.

I've tried to attach a pic of it here - love those Carrera Classic wheels!!
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2009, 12:47 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Why don't you retrofit???

You are going to get killed on depreciation if you try to trade out of your current 997.2.

The intake is the biggest part of the gains, install that ($2k?) along with the FVD full exhaust ($8k). Voila for $10k you have even more of a power gain than the X51. Remember- the OE Sport exhaust, which is part of the X51 does NOT make more power. It just sounds better.

Forget retrofitting the Carbon Fiber air box: $$$$$$
Old 11-24-2009, 12:52 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by go-C4S-injune
ic, so the OEM Powerkit option is called X-51. I'd assume this forum has threads regarding that?
Ya, I really like the dark wheels but didnt think I can pull off black wheels.

Thank you Tim.
Yes X51 is the option code for the Carrera Power kit. I believe it has been discussed many times. If you do a cearch on X51 or X-51 you should find some threads.

However, be warned that this may also bring up threads discussing upgrading to the X-51 headers, which are part of the Carrera Power kit, but different from the stock headers.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:25 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Why don't you retrofit???

You are going to get killed on depreciation if you try to trade out of your current 997.2.

The intake is the biggest part of the gains, install that ($2k?) along with the FVD full exhaust ($8k). Voila for $10k you have even more of a power gain than the X51. Remember- the OE Sport exhaust, which is part of the X51 does NOT make more power. It just sounds better.

Forget retrofitting the Carbon Fiber air box: $$$$$$
You could retrofit a supercharger and get another 120 hp.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:23 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by go-C4S-injune
From Porsche website: Engine upgrade to 408 hp. Comprised of modified cylinder heads, carbon-fiber air filter casing (upper part), new variable resonance intake manifold with six tuning flaps, sports exhaust system featuring specially designed twin dual-tube tailpipes and modified engine management. Note: also available in conjunction with PDK.

This is a $16k option in 2010 C4S. What do people think about this? I'm also already considering ditching my 2009 (have to figure out how to get out of the lease) and ordering a 2010 from scratch w/ that Powerkit option and w/ paddle-shift PDK. Anyone here own a Malacite Green Metallic? I'm sure I'll get laughed out of the forum, but planning on ordering that w/ matching color wheels and cocoa leather interior.

Have you even explored 80% of your current performance envelope? If not... the sensible upgrade is a series of DE sessions.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:47 PM
ato911
Track Day

You may as well just buy a 2010 Turbo or a 2010 GT3.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:57 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Green car and green wheels with brown interior....hummmm. The power kit sounds nice but personally I'd just spend a tad bit more and get a GT3. Unless you like the softer ride and creature comforts of a Carrera and you need the all wheel drive of the Carrera 4.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:39 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Please, don't turn this thread into another "warranty" debate. There are other options... Primary bypass with updated engine management software (ie: Softronic). Maybe a retrofit of some of those parts / pieces Porsche puts in the X51 kit? Porsche "found" 23 extra horses through simple things like intake, software, exhaust - you can probably do the same yourself via OEM and aftermarket. Then, when you go to sell your car in the future, return to stock and sell off the parts. I've done this a couple of times and got back 50-75% of what I paid and made others happy they got a deal vs. buying new.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:02 PM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

I love how knowledgeable you all are! Hopefully, one of these eons, I will be providing helpful info rather than just intaking... I hear ya on green/brown... as I say it, my mind says eee-u. Black or gray interior just seem too stark to be looking at it day and day out tho...

"Mr Betternotbigger", thank you VERY much for posting a picture of a malacite green car. Beauty is in the eye of beholder and I love it!

The Sportkit option for $16K is the first I heard of such an option and I was merely inquiring... I'm not a power-hungry driver and I'm afraid a GT3 would be too raw for a daily commute to Manhattan. I wouldn't buy a Turbo because my personal view is that for 997.2 models, I prefer the look of C4S to the Turbo, which seems a bit too much, if there's such thing. So a C4S with even more power and sporty exhaust seemed enticing to me...

I took a lease on C4S as my first foray into PCars and took a car off of a dealer's inventory, but I'm quickly realizing that was a mistake (for myself.) Way too particular and I also don't like driving in a car only to see a mirror image coming down the street on the opposite side...
Old 11-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Marco8
Racer

Haven't seen the new x-51 specs, but in the past x-51 included new heads and higher compression ratio-this is responsible for the the bulk of the power increase, much more than intake and exhaust management.....
Old 11-25-2009, 01:22 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ADias
Have you even explored 80% of your current performance envelope? If not... the sensible upgrade is a series of DE sessions.
Based on my experience, the x-51 up-grade, is the biggest scam that Porsche has invented to this day. I changed out my stock 996 for an x-51 and let me tell you, I was thoroughly disappointed. I can honestly say that I can't really feel the difference either on the road or the track. If you are going into a 2010 and thinking about the x-51 you are better off going into the Turbo or the GT3. Furthermore, I am 100% in agreement with Diaz, the best modification is some seat time at a local track. For everyday driving you would be hard pressed if you can explore 50% of the car's capabilities; however, on the track the limit is your courage and talent in pushing the car to it's limit.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Glad you like the picture. I think she's a beauty. Seriously thought about buying that car but then went down a different route because I wanted a purer feel than the Targa offers.

Thinking along similar lines: if you want the sensation of more power but don't want a Turbo or GT2/3, why not lose weight instead?

That's the way I chose to go. I live in the northern part of the UK so the weather is challenging enough - like the Pacific NW, but I find a C2S perfectly secure on very wet roads and far more agile (and much more FUN) than the 4WD and 60kg of weight. A vanilla C2 is even lighter and has a better ride on those 18"ers. Why not go the 2WD way? - it's the purest expression of Porsche!

Quick Reply: 2010 C4S - the OEM 408hp Powerkit