Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 C4S - the OEM 408hp Powerkit

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 02:12 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

Wow. Great information and thanks for sharing.

I love the cab, and really need the extra space the topless function provides, but am concerned about power, or lack thereof. Laugh, but I wish there was a GT3 in a cab version. I understand that defeats the purpose, but for the money it is a lot of power for what you get. I just want my cab.

Originally Posted by russo
Based on my experience, the x-51 up-grade, is the biggest scam that Porsche has invented to this day. I changed out my stock 996 for an x-51 and let me tell you, I was thoroughly disappointed. I can honestly say that I can't really feel the difference either on the road or the track. If you are going into a 2010 and thinking about the x-51 you are better off going into the Turbo or the GT3. Furthermore, I am 100% in agreement with Diaz, the best modification is some seat time at a local track. For everyday driving you would be hard pressed if you can explore 50% of the car's capabilities; however, on the track the limit is your courage and talent in pushing the car to it's limit.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:11 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Wow. Great information and thanks for sharing.

I love the cab, and really need the extra space the topless function provides, but am concerned about power, or lack thereof. Laugh, but I wish there was a GT3 in a cab version. I understand that defeats the purpose, but for the money it is a lot of power for what you get. I just want my cab.
A C2/4S Conv. will provide you will plenty of power without having to spend the extra 16k on pure hype. The new cars are putting out 385 hp, that is more than plenty for everyday and track use.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:47 AM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
A C2/4S Conv. will provide you will plenty of power without having to spend the extra 16k on pure hype. The new cars are putting out 385 hp, that is more than plenty for everyday and track use.
um, one might say 300 hp is plenty for track/daily use, or 200 or .... that is not the point is it? If "plenty" or "adequate" is what sated us, we wouldnt be plonking down hard-earned (or inherited for those luckier dudes out there) money for a car that creaks like my dad's volvo 240DL.

I do hear you shouting tho, about what waste of money oem sportkit is for $16K. That indeed is very helpful to know and duly noted. Like SilverSteel said, I wished Porsche would plop a GT3 engine in Carrera S/4S... now that would complete me... until they come up w/ even more insanely powerful naturally aspirated engine...
Old 11-26-2009, 11:54 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

That would be cool.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:16 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

I actually disagree that the X-51 is a scam. I have that on my 40th and I can feel the difference with a regular 996. It does however only manifest itself at higher rpm, no difference down low. Is it worth $16K for 25HP - not sure. My 997.2 is faster still.

Also, I'm not sure I understand why people say - if you're going to do that just get a GT3 or a Turbo. Because of the $? The $ werent the reason I got my C2S vs a GT3. Those are 3 very different choices to me. From a C4S to GT3. Those are almost completely different cars. My C2S with PDK, SPASM is a very comfortable daily driver for me. I can then hit sport plus and put it in manual and it changes character. Its light and darty and fast. Gt3 track star - occasional street use. I wouldnt drive it daily in LA stop and go fwys - harder ride with a 6 speed. Turbo - heavier sledgehammer. Different feel due to weight, AWD, much faster, comfortable. All 3 are different and meet the needs of different end-users. $ aside - buy what tickles your fancy.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

I've never been sold on the Carrera power kit options. Then again, I've never driven one and as others here have said their owners are usually happy.
I don't think it is a huge gain in power for that kind of money and since 'the rest' of the car is pretty much the same (i.e. suspension, brakes), it makes me think that Porsche feels the same way.
I think Ron offers some good advice if you're looking for a little more power.

If you want to stick with the AWD platform and you're into the power thing, then you should just move to a turbo. I assure you that it is more than 'enough' power and arguably too much as it is tricky to lay down smoothly. And if you are a PDK fan that is now available as well!
Old 11-26-2009, 12:59 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Malachite w/cocoa is VERY classy. They had one in person here at Porsche N.Scottsdale about a year ago.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Dave in Oregon
Instructor

The "power kit" is a huge marketing and revenue ploy by Porsche. There must be a huge profit margin in it. For all those who have ordered the power kit option on the 996 or 997 series, their investment in the power kits have been nullified be cause in each makeover of the 996 and 997 series, horsepower was bumped up to the equivalent horsepower of the previous powerkit option. This will continue with the next generation 991 series, which will have 400 hp in the S iteration, rendering today's powerkit option a moot point on the re-sale market. Why would anyone pay a premium for the powerkit option on a used car when that same horsepower is standard on the newer model at no additional cost. A friend is trying to sell his X51 on the used car market and it is worth no more than the standard S version . Sticker on the car originally was $120K and the selling price is $60K for an '06 997 S cabriolet.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:06 PM
ato911
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dave in Oregon
The "power kit" is a huge marketing and revenue ploy by Porsche. There must be a huge profit margin in it. For all those who have ordered the power kit option on the 996 or 997 series, their investment in the power kits have been nullified be cause in each makeover of the 996 and 997 series, horsepower was bumped up to the equivalent horsepower of the previous powerkit option. This will continue with the next generation 991 series, which will have 400 hp in the S iteration, rendering today's powerkit option a moot point on the re-sale market. Why would anyone pay a premium for the powerkit option on a used car when that same horsepower is standard on the newer model at no additional cost. A friend is trying to sell his X51 on the used car market and it is worth no more than the standard S version . Sticker on the car originally was $120K and the selling price is $60K for an '06 997 S cabriolet.
What is interesting is that I had a customer build with a July 2009 build for my 2010 997.2 C2S. At that time of ordering my options, the X-51 was not available. After the car was built, then they came out with the X-51 power kit. I am not sure if I would have gone with the X-51 but it wasnt even available. They may have lost potential revenue for not having it available. I did opt for the short shift and the PSE and they are outstanding.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marco8
Haven't seen the new x-51 specs, but in the past x-51 included new heads and higher compression ratio-this is responsible for the the bulk of the power increase, much more than intake and exhaust management.....
The compression ratio is the same for the X51 and non X51 for the 997, the "new"heads are nothing more than OEM heads with some bowl work, port matching and a stiffer exhaust valve spring.

Dave
Old 11-26-2009, 09:29 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
I actually disagree that the X-51 is a scam. I have that on my 40th and I can feel the difference with a regular 996. It does however only manifest itself at higher rpm, no difference down low. Is it worth $16K for 25HP - not sure. My 997.2 is faster still.
I agree, my 997.1S was faster than my 996 X51. Prior to purchasing my 997.1 I thought about going for the X51 and was advised not to. I am glad I didn't.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:32 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Seems outragously over priced for only 30hp! I say keep your 09' and mod it yourself. You will get much more power for $16k!!
Green w/ brown interior and green wheels!
Old 11-27-2009, 09:58 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by go-C4S-injune
I love how knowledgeable you all are! Hopefully, one of these eons, I will be providing helpful info rather than just intaking... I hear ya on green/brown... as I say it, my mind says eee-u. Black or gray interior just seem too stark to be looking at it day and day out tho...

Natural Brown leather would look great with Malachite Green. The Natural Brown is similar to the color of peanut butter. Very rich looking.

Quick Reply: 2010 C4S - the OEM 408hp Powerkit