Sponsored by:

'09 911 vs low mileage CPO '06-7S dilema

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Gas Passer
Looking at nicely optioned cars. Feel power is going to be very close with more creature comforts to the '09. Looking to put 15-20K miles per yr. Would you guys stay away from the DFI and let them work out any bugs. Getting great discount on '09 (20% off / 71K car) and seems best price on '07 S with 22K is 59.9 (down from 64.9). Positive I will never get such a discount on a new Porsche. Seems dealers are still delusional about their CPO cars prices. Hard to justify only spending 11k less for a three yr old car with more than 20K miles. Shouldn't there be a trickle down effect on CPO prices??? Need you all to weigh in!

You guys have provided me with a wealth of knowledge as I search for my Porsche. My wife's Cayenne needs a stable mate.
With that many miles per year I suspect DFI engine will be ok. It is the little driven cars I believe will have problems.

(I would still advise a maintenance schedule a bit on the agressive side, that is oil/filter services more frequently than recommeded by owners manual. And if you get new car treat engine to an early oil/filter service -- say 750 miles then again at 2K miles at end of break in period, then at 5K miles, and every 5K to 7500 miles afterwards. I would also advise a PDK fluid change at end of break in period.)

Others have commented on the depreciation the 09 will suffer from the miles. However, you are getting it discounted from its MSRP so that helps.

OTOH, I think you could do better on price on a used car, even with a CPO, which means you get car for less money and there's less to depreciate and the biggest depreciation -- new car -- has been absorbed by 1st owner.

Remember, price not fact only an opinion and this is never more true when looking at the price a dealer has on a used car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:09 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on the specs you posted I would easily go for the 09.

Enjoy and post pics whe you get it.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Gas Passer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will need to get a third car b/c I currently drive about 30K total per yr. Everyone says it is plain stupid to drive a 911 30k miles a yr. Would split the miles between a commuter car and the 911. Live in central NC (Raleigh) so weather is not terrible, rare to occasional snow with more frequent ice storms. Hopefully, this will be from first of many Porsches for myself (36 yrs old).

I guess it is good to have this problem and very fortunate to be DINKS and making a good living in such rough economic times.

Life is too short to drive crappy cars and drink lousy beer.

Cheers
Old 11-22-2009, 11:00 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gas Passer
Everyone says it is plain stupid to drive a 911 30k miles a yr.
Rubbish. I bought mine to do just that.

Whether you buy new or used, if you keep the car for longer than 4-5 years, it will be more or less "run out" in the eyes of a buyer. You'll be selling at a great discount. So buy what you want. If the opportunity cost of the extra money tied up in the 997.2 is no big deal, I think there are a lot of technological advances that make it worthwhile.

Also, I think your assessments of the values of the used cars are spot on. Don't let a dealer tell you that an aerokit or aluminum interior trim add a dollar to the resale value; they're divisive and really don't.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:17 PM
ewc
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

I’ve been poking around in some old posts and found this pricing in 2009 interesting to compare with what 997’s are trading for in 2021. Brand new 2009 997.2 bought for $62k back in the day! Compare that to what they are going for on BAT today.

Originally Posted by crw
I was in the same exact situation.

Most of the low milage 05/06 cars were 50K-60K, with most being out of warranty.

CPO (2 years coverge) essentially costs you @$2,000 - built into the price. Plus, alot of these cars had minor issues:

- blemishes
- scratches
- wear and tear
- older Nav systems

I found a new 09 with 4 year warranty (standard factory) at 79K. I bought in for $62K.

No regrets.

Quick Reply: '09 911 vs low mileage CPO '06-7S dilema