Sponsored by:

Radar, jammers etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:27 PM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar, jammers etc

I used to use Valenine-1, until one day, going around a bend, I saw a cop car while simultaneously hearing the beep go off. The cop had the radar off until he saw me and then turned it on and caught me like shooting fish in a barrel. I've been going naked, so to speak, using my intuition and judgment on slowing down near speed traps, etc. Seeing as my C4S often clocks faster than I realize, what do members here recommend? I heard from a well-intentioned person that I should get a "jammer." All the best, -Jay
Old 11-18-2009, 05:49 AM
MattMDDC
AutoX

Vigilance. Scan. Constant awareness of your surroundings... front, back, sides and rarely above. Why did the car 1/4 mile ahead put on his brakes? Is that a cop coming up fast from behind? Did that cop that just got off the exit, get right back on, behind you? Keep cops in your sight after they pass you. In Pennsylvania, cops seem to liking hiding behind overpasses. In fact, many overpasses now have blacktop parking spots for them. They're also standing on overpasses, radar gun or Vascar in hand. Scan every overpass from a distance. Develop eagle-eyes for cops. Use your rear-view mirror. Concentrate on driving. Develop "cop-eyes." Use a radar detector. It's not perfect... but it's another tool. Intuition can't detect radar. Try "Trapster" an iphone app. CB radio is great on roads where they're used. Scanner... tried it without much luck. Try not to stick out like a sore thumb. Stay in the right lane when possible. Don't tailgate or weave in and out and otherwise look obvious. Know your state's laws. In PA, only state cops can use radar. So if you're in a town that has it's own cops (no state police), they'll be using something other than radar (VASCAR, etc). General rule... don't speed through small towns. In PA, the law states that if the speed limit is 55 or higher, they have to give you 10 mph... so... drive 64.... or 74. Go online... there are websites that list known radar traps. "Jammers"... illegal, AND.... your exposing yourself to constant radar radiation at close range. Get a good lawyer. Join PCA and participate in some track events/autocross. You may feel less need to speed on the roads. When he/she pulls you over, have your window down, sunglasses off, inside lights on if it's night-time, both hands in sight on the wheel, license and registration in hand. Don't store your papers anywhere that reaching for them out of the officer's sight (armrest, glovebox) looks like you might be reaching for a gun. Slow down near known police stations... or... "Police 1 mile" signs. (To be continued)
Old 11-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ive been reading for a couple of months now and I like the newest M-47 or 27 from Blinder.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:26 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Radar jammers are illegal laser jammers are legal in most states.
I have the Blinder system and it has saved me a couple of times.

cheers
Old 11-18-2009, 11:34 AM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

great info Matt on PA trooper habits... I have to drive thru the I-80 the ENTIRE length of PA (no offense but it's flat and boring for the most part) everytime we have to go see the inlaws, so your insight is certainly invaluable. Would appreciate additional pointers on PA trooper traps and tendencies. And thank you gents for the recommendation on laser jammers; I'll certainly look into Blinder's and others and report back if I find anything of use.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:05 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

Watching for red brake lights going off on cars way ahead of you is helpful also.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 131 Posts

The absolute best defense is 20-20 vision. And SA. (Situation Awareness). You should never be speeding if you don't know the road, or the local police behavior. These cars can get you into mandatory jail sentence territory very quickly if you are stupid enough to speed without some amount of 'intelligence' on the situation. The key to this is to let someone ELSE take the hit--never be the guy out in front. Stay as far back as your eyes will let you, and constantly check 6. If you can't positively ID every vehicle in front and behind your car for at least a half mile you are running a risk. Know your threat, whether it be laser, radar, or pacing. It may be a combination. The best thing I ever did for myself was to get LASIK surgery.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:26 PM
CMOS
Advanced

Truly great advice from MattMDDC and Edgy01.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The best thing I ever did for myself was to get LASIK surgery.
That, and your flip-up front plate?
Old 11-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler358
That, and your flip-up front plate?
It can't hurt!
Old 11-18-2009, 02:58 PM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

Dan- I looked into Lasik and my doc can only do PRK on mine. At the moment, choosing not to because of the long healing time. I can't imagine not being able to drive my car for couple weeks, let alone the likelihood of 2months in certain cases of longer heal time. But again, you always have great advices for newbies like me! Thank you.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 283 Posts

I had a K40 laser diffuser on my GT3. Bagged easily by a cop with Laser - IMO worthless technology. I also drove alongside my wife for 5 hours - she had my V1 - Valentine rocks. K40 radar sucked too.

Drive smart, and use your V-1!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:15 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

Educate yourself.
http://www.guysoflidar.com/

I have an LI Quad and V1. Best defense in my opinion.
I recently tested against 3- different laser guns and was able to Jam to and from gun. Lot's of threads available on this though.

You can search, "laser jammer install for those interested" for my particular install.

Walt
Old 11-18-2009, 04:28 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

Matt has some good information however staying out of the left lane really is not a valid tactic anymore. Many LEO's shoot from where it is convenient. They also have no problem shooting across multiple lanes. Many of their tactics were previously mentioned but another one is high aspect shooting. The closer to your lane they are, the easier they are to spot. Many have elected to accept cosign errors in order to shoot high aspect hoping that most will not see them far to the side of the road. Its not to obvious to spot a car stopped up ahead one of two lanes over but what about over on the access road next to you?
Overpasses are huge threats here in DFW area. They like to pick the ones that have large signs they can hide behind on the over pass. Look closely are the edges of the signs when driving. Its hard to make out but when you see a sign growing a head or arm, it brake time.
There is a tremendous amount of information on the site above. I highly recommend you look over it and join that forum. Ask your questions there also. Many are enthusiasts that purchase their own police laser guns and freely help test others systems for potency.

Walt
Old 11-18-2009, 08:08 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I did LASIK - would not recommend it in general. I have a lot of side effects including floaters that are really annoying. The "starburst" light problem has faded, but still not like I was before with a good set of lenses. It has been nice not wearing glasses all the time, but now I need them to read again and to drive at night - the doc says they can do a "touch up" at some point. I think I can buy a lot of specs for what they want for LASIK and I don't want to risk any more permanent damage. Do your research. If you are young and your eyes are still changing (i.e., you are not dead), its money tossed.

Quick Reply: Radar, jammers etc