Sponsored by:

'09 C2S noisy lifter

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:11 PM
jgriffCS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '09 C2S noisy lifter

I've had my '09 C2S for about 6 months and for the last month or so I've noticed clicking noise from the engine. I took it to the service manager at my dealer and they told me that it's a lifter and that it's not a problem as long as it's only noisy on startup. I'm hearing the noise almost all the time now. What do you guys think I should do? I either want it fixed or I want to trade it in. I figure if it's not really a problem then they shouldn't have a problem giving me a good value on trade-in. The next step I'm thinking of is to talk to my salesman instead of the service manager.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:30 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you trade it in if it can be fixed? Have it repaired and keep the car.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

Does it continue after it's fully warmed up? If it does, do what they say -- take it in to have it corrected. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. If you've had your 09 for only 6 months and are already contemplating another car then you should sell the Porsche and never buy another one.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:19 PM
dhud
Instructor

Just a thought and you would think the dealer would know but... The new DFI system sounds like a ticking sound due to the high pressure it uses in supplying fuel. I know what the sound is but I have had several people ask me if I had a noisy lifter or a valve train issue. I know this may be pretty simplistic but I wanted you to be aware of the DFI sound which is different from any previous 911 before you go and sell a good car. You stated, "I've had my '09 C2S for about 6 months and for the last month or so I've noticed clicking noise from the engine." I lived in Houston for four years and I bet for the last 6 months you have been blasting the A/C! In the past month the weather has been cooler and you may have had the windows down allowing you to hear the tick. Could it be possible you just noticed it but it has been there all along? Just trying to save you some $$$ if possible. BTW, I have an '09 C4S.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by dhud
Just a thought and you would think the dealer would know but... The new DFI system sounds like a ticking sound due to the high pressure it uses in supplying fuel. I know what the sound is but I have had several people ask me if I had a noisy lifter or a valve train issue. I know this may be pretty simplistic but I wanted you to be aware of the DFI sound which is different from any previous 911 before you go and sell a good car. You stated, "I've had my '09 C2S for about 6 months and for the last month or so I've noticed clicking noise from the engine." I lived in Houston for four years and I bet for the last 6 months you have been blasting the A/C! In the past month the weather has been cooler and you may have had the windows down allowing you to hear the tick. Could it be possible you just noticed it but it has been there all along? Just trying to save you some $$$ if possible. BTW, I have an '09 C4S.
This is an excellent bet.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:25 PM
jgriffCS
Advanced

The service manager has told me that it is a lifter that's making the noise. He recommended to not fix it unless I hear it all the time. I don't hear it all the time but it's not just when it's cold or when it's just been started.

The reason I'm thinking of trading it in is that they are telling me that it's not a problem. I think it is. If they don't think it's a problem then they can have it and fix it themselves. I'll get another one.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Just replaced the lifters on my 996, not too hard a job. But the dealers/mechanics have virtually no experience wit the new 997.2 engine. So this is a whole new ball game to them. I would ask the area Porsche rep to get involved. If the lifter is noisy now it is not going to get better.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:52 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by jgriffCS
The service manager has told me that it is a lifter that's making the noise. He recommended to not fix it unless I hear it all the time. I don't hear it all the time but it's not just when it's cold or when it's just been started.

The reason I'm thinking of trading it in is that they are telling me that it's not a problem. I think it is. If they don't think it's a problem then they can have it and fix it themselves. I'll get another one.
If you trade that car in now you're going to take an absolute bath on the trade in value. You'll probably lose 20-25K from what you paid. Your mechanical issue is not going to cause them to give you more than it is worth. They can only give you wholesale value, not matter what. They aren't going to take a loss on a trade. Get it fixed. Persistence pays off.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:15 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dharn55
Just replaced the lifters on my 996, not too hard a job. But the dealers/mechanics have virtually no experience wit the new 997.2 engine. So this is a whole new ball game to them. I would ask the area Porsche rep to get involved. If the lifter is noisy now it is not going to get better.
Mechanically it's just an engine i.e. a big vacuum pump. Lifters are lifters and the way they work doesn't change. It's still an H6 while there may have been some design changes as far as the cylinder block and crankcase assembly is concerned, it's still an engine. Nothing really special here and you diagnose them the same way.

Agreed that if it's noisy now it will only get worse.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:16 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Originally Posted by JW911
If you trade that car in now you're going to take an absolute bath on the trade in value. You'll probably lose 20-25K from what you paid. Your mechanical issue is not going to cause them to give you more than it is worth. They can only give you wholesale value, not matter what. They aren't going to take a loss on a trade. Get it fixed. Persistence pays off.
+1
Old 06-04-2019, 06:09 AM
LuciferGuy
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jgriffCS
I've had my '09 C2S for about 6 months and for the last month or so I've noticed clicking noise from the engine. I took it to the service manager at my dealer and they told me that it's a lifter and that it's not a problem as long as it's only noisy on startup. I'm hearing the noise almost all the time now. What do you guys think I should do? I either want it fixed or I want to trade it in. I figure if it's not really a problem then they shouldn't have a problem giving me a good value on trade-in. The next step I'm thinking of is to talk to my salesman instead of the service manager.
Don't worry mate, you don't have to trade your car. The noisy lifter has been a common problem for most of the old car users.
An article from a reputed website says:
Here’s the list of things that could go wrong with your car.

Bad lifter: A faulty or bad lifter can cause the lifter to tick. It is needed to be pulled out and repaired or should use the new one.

Dirty Oil Deposits: These dirty oils are deposited when no regular servicing is done. They should be cleaned. Changing the oil will do the job for you.

Bent push rod: A bent pushrod may cause the noise. This happens when the car treated like a race car i.e., by pressing the accelerator every now and then. This the pushrod bends over time. This may causenoise.
So, a quick check of the valve train will tell you if there’s something physically wrong with one of the parts. If not — it’s likely that a flushing agent and an oil additive added to the fresh oil will do the trick and silence your lifters.

Then going for the oil with the density prescribed by your manufacturer will be your best go. Again I recommend changing the oil density to other than what the manufacturer recommends can make the oil too thin or too thin. Neither of them is good for your engine.

Thought sharing this resource would be helpful: How to Fix Noisy Lifter in Car

Quick Reply: '09 C2S noisy lifter