Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got a Sharkwerks Pipe !!!!! I wiil have to hear it!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:19 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonCT
Rambler, try a search on 997.2 exhaust and you'll find a wide variety of opinions on what the different concepts do. There's primary bypass (Sharkwerks), other makers of the same idea (some cross over, some don't), there are systems where the OEM primary remains and the "suitcase mufflers" are replaced, there are some where those secondary mufflers are eliminated, etc. Each has implications.

Me, I found the primary bypass as the best of all worlds. Removes some restriction, so better sound and performance. Inexpensive and easy to swap.
RON,

Does the sounds seems to loud at times? I was leaning towards the PSE to allow me to turn the sound off as to not wake the neighbors when I come in at night. However, if it is not to bothersome, maybe I can just add the bypass and acheive the sound I am looking for.

Thoughts please?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:20 PM
GHills
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rambler

997.2 is the refresh with direct injection engine, different exhaust setup, PDK option, bgger PCM screen etc. 09 model year for most variants, 10 for turbo
Old 11-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by GHills
997.2 is the refresh with direct injection engine, different exhaust setup, PDK option, bgger PCM screen etc. 09 model year for most variants, 10 for turbo
Gotcha, thanks! Now I need to redo my search and read some more! All part of the learning process though.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:22 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

2009 saw significant updates to the 911 and S. New engine / exhaust, suspension, ECU, lights, bumper covers, etc. So, we all nick-named the 05-08 as the 997.1 and the 09+ as the 997.2.

If you have a 2007, then the Sharkwerks bypass won't work for you - totally different exhaust design.

I had a 2007 and if you go back and look at some of my RonCT authored threads about exhaust, headers, cats, software, etc. you'll find that after much experimenting, I found the "sweet spot" for updating the 997.1: Porsche X51 headers, AWE high-flow cats, stock mufflers, and Softronic engine management software. Just the right tone and loudness, much improved performance, etc.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

BoxsterG - IMO the sound is perfect for all conditions - it's never obnoxious.

I had the Sport exhaust on my Gt3 and when I pushed the button women with strollers would literally dash for cover and life/limb when I came around the corner ! Furthermore, wife would not set foot in it with muffler bypass on (well, she wouldn't set foot in it for lots of reasons!)

The Sharkwerks may be too tame for some that like a significant increase in decibels, but I doubt you will miss having a button to activate/deactivate the exhaust - it's just what this car should sound like at all times, period.

So what is the deal with that 3rd POS muffler anyway? Added weight, backpressure and cost - why would Porsche handicap our cars in this manner? Euro noise restrictions?
Old 11-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

2009 saw significant updates to the 911 and S. New engine / exhaust, suspension, ECU, lights, bumper covers, etc. So, we all nick-named the 05-08 as the 997.1 and the 09+ as the 997.2.

If you have a 2007, then the Sharkwerks bypass won't work for you - totally different exhaust design.

I had a 2007 and if you go back and look at some of my RonCT authored threads about exhaust, headers, cats, software, etc. you'll find that after much experimenting, I found the "sweet spot" for updating the 997.1: Porsche X51 headers, AWE high-flow cats, stock mufflers, and Softronic engine management software. Just the right tone and loudness, much improved performance, etc.
Thanks Ron. Though I was really looking for something under $2k, and from what you mention above that sounds like quite a bit more. I'm mainly looking for improved sound - but if there's any performance gains, that would be a definate plus.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:57 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
BoxsterG - IMO the sound is perfect for all conditions - it's never obnoxious.

I had the Sport exhaust on my Gt3 and when I pushed the button women with strollers would literally dash for cover and life/limb when I came around the corner ! Furthermore, wife would not set foot in it with muffler bypass on (well, she wouldn't set foot in it for lots of reasons!)

The Sharkwerks may be too tame for some that like a significant increase in decibels, but I doubt you will miss having a button to activate/deactivate the exhaust - it's just what this car should sound like at all times, period.

So what is the deal with that 3rd POS muffler anyway? Added weight, backpressure and cost - why would Porsche handicap our cars in this manner? Euro noise restrictions?
Thanks - this is helpful. The one thing I do like about this car from time to time is that I can speak on the phone (BT) while on the freeway (80MPH). The PSE sounds attractive as i can turn it on and off. Do you think the sharkwerks option will materially impact cruising noise - and being able to talk on the phone?
Old 11-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Thanks - this is helpful. The one thing I do like about this car from time to time is that I can speak on the phone (BT) while on the freeway (80MPH). The PSE sounds attractive as i can turn it on and off. Do you think the sharkwerks option will materially impact cruising noise - and being able to talk on the phone?
I use the bluetooth/PCM connection easily every day. The speakerphone setup works extremely well - not that people won't be able to here some sound if you put your foot deeply into it.

BTW, back the car up on ramps - works great for install ease!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:58 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 583 Posts

I use the bluetooth/PCM connection easily every day. The speakerphone setup works extremely well - not that people won't be able to here some sound if you put your foot deeply into it.

BTW, back the car up on ramps - works great for install ease!
Awesome - thanks
Old 11-20-2009, 08:20 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
once I get it on tomorrow then I will write about the great new sound. I am SO excited!!!!
Good for you OldGuy.... Hope the back is holding up ok and the instructions should make it easy for you You're a veteran at these things eh!

It's a good change and exactly what I wanted. I've had other exhausts on my cars in the past and have had to remove them due to the ear-bleeding noise, the looks from the neighbors, etc. The beauty of this system is it makes gains, deepens the sound, increases the sound, but in a good way. Have had many compliments on the street and track
Thanks Ron... glad you like it

Paul - you'll love it - I installed mine yesterday (~ 2 hours), it's the perfect note for those who want sporty but not loud or boomy.

Nice deeper rumble at idle, throatier in heavy acceleration, but wife approved and tame when driving at 5/10s. I also immediately felt like the motor was breathing/revving better, and the butt dyno believes theres a small gain.

Truly a nice product, and Alex appears to have lowered the price a bit.

Chris
Cheers Chris! Getting rid of those two odd 180 degree u-bends was in order:P Without the sound deadening around it too makes a bit more "oomph"

Originally Posted by kimf70
just ordered mine. Arriving Wed.
Thanks Kim!

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Paul: Why did it take you so long? I have enjoyed mine for ten months. I put it on when the car was first delivered.
Thanks f4 plt... Anymore stuff to the SC lately:P? Gotta show us watercooled guys a thing or too about the real P-cars eh

By the way, forgot to mention perhaps the best change:

Significantly less annoying "fart can" diesel sound just off idle! This was a huge turnoff for me with the new car - happy to say it's just a muted snarl now.
Cheers Chris! Took us a while... we played with x-pipes, cross-overs, muffler deletes etc... and finally settled on this design for sound/power/weight

I came back from a recent trip and we're out of them so Dan's making more
Old 11-20-2009, 08:44 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Alex:
"Thanks f4 plt... Anymore stuff to the SC lately:P? Gotta show us watercooled guys a thing or too about the real P-cars "

Yes actually we have done some more "tweaking" but I'm not going to continue to really push it. Too many folks like the car in shows SO I have a base Cayman on order ( Dec 11 completion) that will have PDK, LSD. SC, PASM and sport bucket seats. It will be my primary autocross and track car, but the Sc will make its appearance from time to time to show the world what a real Porsche is. By the way after 10 months and 8700 miles on my '09 C2S the center muffler by pass cross over pipe is still great. Looks like new, love the sound ( as does everyone else) AND adds a little power. Best after market investment for the 997.2 ...... now I need something for the new Cayman that has the same great sound, less weight and some added power. You guys can do it. thanks Jack
Old 11-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I love mine. Got it the first month I got my car. A little louder at mid to high rpm. No difference at idle. A little louder at low rpm. No difference on the freeway. Great product.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:41 AM
canuckporsche
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

It is great but could be a bit louder on highway. It did chnage in tone and loudness to the better whern I hit the 2000k mark. not sure why but it got better with more mileage ot maybe it was gradually higher RPM's and more speed during the break-in period.

Quick Reply: just got a Sharkwerks Pipe !!!!! I wiil have to hear it!!