Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Door Handle Not Covered By CPO??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:33 AM
trcox57
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had exactly the same thing happen to my 2006 C2S..and HBL of Tyson's Corner fixed it under warranty less than 8 months ago...keep trying. A door handle shouldn't fail like that on a 3 year old car and the service manager didn't blink when I brought it in...
TonyC
Old 11-15-2009, 09:50 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Dmitri,

Exactly when was your CPO Warranty issued? The reason I ask is because Porsche "upgraded" the coverage on the CPO warranty in 2008 (I think it was around August or September) to be more comprehensive than the previous version of the CPO warranty.

If your CPO warranty was issued prior to the "upgrade" date, then your warranty will be more limited (a.k.a. you have more things not covered) than the current version of the CPO warranty. The "old" warranties (those issued prior to the upgrade date) were not converted to include the additional coverage of the upgraded warranty.

While this may not be what you want to hear, it could be the reason they say it is not a covered item.

Personally, I believe it should be covered, but remember, my opinion and $2.00 will get you a $2.00 cup of coffee.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim,

My CPO warranty was issued in March '08. I did read about the "upgrade" to the program, which looks like it started with cars sold 8/1/08 and later.

I guess I'm back to where I started, which is PCNA's claim that interior door handle breakage on a 4 year old car is "normal" wear and tear.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:58 AM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Dmitri,

I think that could be part of the problem for you. You have the older CPO so that particular dealer most likely dont want to repair it. However, try another dealer and see if you can get traction with them. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck either way.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 AM
MJPereira
Instructor

I would keep trying until someone does it for free, but at the same time there's nothing worse than driving a 100k car with a busted door handle. My side marker was loose on my car and I asked them to take a look at it and they said it needed to be replaced and quoted me a price and I refused to pay for it and the manager ended up doing it for free under warranty.

I say play a little hardball. Tell them you'll take your business elsewhere.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:19 PM
richc
Pro

I think they'll do it for free if you keep pushing. $200 isn't a big deal to keep a customer happy. Be nice in when you push, that generally produces better results.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:59 PM
MyEmily
Racer

$250 is mostly labor. The cost of the part range from $15 to $25.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:47 PM
997, esq
Racer

Seems like a stretch to call that wear and tear, imo. I have the older CPO warranty also and read the wear and tear exception to apply things like tires, wipers, ordinary carpet and leather wear, bulbs, etc. I would think you could get it fixed for free, but it's probably not worth fussing too much over $250...
Old 11-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Dmitri
Instructor

My dealer helped me out on the repair cost. I have no complaint with them.

PCNA's "customer commitment" team, on the other hand, leaves much to be desired. I spoke to a supervisor this afternoon. They are no longer saying that this is "normal" wear and tear. PCNA's "official" position is that the part is not a covered component, and "Porsche can offer no assistance at this time." I again asked for a complete copy of the CPO warranty terms and conditions and was provided a copy of the warranty brochure that was in effect when I purchased my car. I said that I wanted to read whatever it was that said that this isn't a covered component and was told that there is a list of part numbers that is internal and proprietary to Porsche and would not be provided.

I'm not a consumer attorney (although I play one on TV), but it seems to me that a consumer ought to be able to get a complete copy of the warranty that applies to a product that they purchased. Anyone have a copy of this one?

The "good" news for others who purchased their CPO cars after August of last year is that your extended warranty is the same as the original warranty - unless, of course, you run into the problem with the definition of what's considered "normal" wear and tear.

PCNA's Customer Commitment Team = FAIL.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:22 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear this, but very glad that your dealer was helpful.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:14 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

I suspect several dealerships would handle this differently, e.g., just eating it. it's not a big cost item in the grand scale of things, and they could be jeopardizing a good customer relationship over something so minor. Personally, having been a Porsche driver/owner for well over 30 years, I can't see such a part failing that soon. Latent defect -- look into that.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:15 AM
MJPereira
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I suspect several dealerships would handle this differently, e.g., just eating it. it's not a big cost item in the grand scale of things, and they could be jeopardizing a good customer relationship over something so minor. Personally, having been a Porsche driver/owner for well over 30 years, I can't see such a part failing that soon. Latent defect -- look into that.
Agreed, esp when you consider that the part is only in the $25 range?! Essentially the labor is at no cost to them since they would have to pay their people anyway for being at work.

They should have swallowed that cost.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Giacomo
Pro

I've just had this happen on my 05 C2 which is now off CPO (except for the new engine). Does someone have an invoice or work order showing what was done, with part # etc.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Anyone have the part numbers of the piece (or pieces) that fail on the door handle issue?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:07 PM
WindyCityC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just fixed mine...and I mean just--today. I repaired the part, but I recommend buying it. I thought the spring broke, so I was prepared to fix the spring. But the plastic part broke. It flexs under stress, so it looks ok, but it is broken.
Suncoast sells it
I think this is the 997 part
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//9X7HL.html

Quick Reply: Broken Door Handle Not Covered By CPO??