Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW owner now considering a 997. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 02:29 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by amerlemans
I drive 7.5 miles one way to work and my 997S is my Primary driver. I do take the dog hauler ('98 4Runner) on crappy weather days. Those that say this is a good daily driver car must be a helluva lot more tolerant than me or they drive a Tip transmission. The car is not a good DD IMO. It's noisey and a bit cramped for a DD.

I'm not saying the Porsche isn't a good car. In fact, it's phenominal....it's just not conducive for daily driving and in my case, I don't LOVE IT enough to drive the dog hauler as my primary car and just use the 997S for weekends, etc.

I'm also not saying that the E92 M3 is a sports car. It's exactly what folks here have described it as -- a GT car. Prior to the 997S, I had an E60 M5 which is what I knew in the back of my mind I was looking for. A couple of things that killed that for me ----- was too big, got 10 mpg and the SMG sux. Now after having owned the 997S for 6 months, I'm convinced that what I'm looking for is a melding of the 997S and the E60M5 --- thus the E92 M3 with DCT.
Whenever you say melding - be prepared for a compromise in both directions. The E92 will be heavy and not a sports car. Its a sport sedan. The 997 is not big. I think the 997.2 with PDK is way cush enough for me to use as a DD and I do. In fact I have another DD that I barely use. My 996 was noisy and harsh. The 997.2 in normal and auto is quiet and easy to have a cell phone conversation.

I had an E46 and it was a good car. 996 better. 997.2 in another dimension.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:10 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Whenever you say melding - be prepared for a compromise in both directions. The E92 will be heavy and not a sports car. Its a sport sedan. The 997 is not big. I think the 997.2 with PDK is way cush enough for me to use as a DD and I do. In fact I have another DD that I barely use. My 996 was noisy and harsh. The 997.2 in normal and auto is quiet and easy to have a cell phone conversation.

I had an E46 and it was a good car. 996 better. 997.2 in another dimension.
Melding by definition mens precisely that there will be compromise. So yeah, I'm well aware of it. I'm 6'1" and 195 lbs and feel cramped in every Porsche I've owned/ridden in which makes it a not so good DD for me. Every time I try to have a cell phone call in my 997S the person on the other end can barely hear me. There is a tremendous amount of noise inside these cars. If yours is daily driveable, congrats to you. I'd bet that the majority of HONEST 911 owners would disagree with you.

You are comparing a 997.2 to an E46? Of course it's in another dimension. A 997.2 is not in another dimension over an E92 M3. Is it better from a sportscar standpoint? Hell yes. Is the E92 M3 better from a GT car standpoint? Hell yes.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:13 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

There must be a big difference then between the 997.1 and 997.2. My car is comfy and, while noisier than a BMW, I use the hands free bluetooth phone all the time and it actually works better and is easier for others to hear than our Lexus GX470 - just because it is setup better.

I'd call it completely fine as a daily driver car - honest.

M3s are cool cars though. I wouldn't call it a compromise - just different. There's plenty of compromises with the 911 too - space, storage, etc. There'd certainly be nothing bad about having an M3.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I drive my 997 everyday except for bad weather days. There has been about 3-4 bad weather days each of the four years I've owned it. My drive is about 10 miles r/t. Yes, it is a bit more noisy than a BMW, but I like the noise. I hardly ever listen to the radio or take calls in the Porsche.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:55 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

There is a tremendous amount of noise inside these cars. If yours is daily driveable, congrats to you. I'd bet that the majority of HONEST 911 owners would disagree with you.

You are comparing a 997.2 to an E46? Of course it's in another dimension. A 997.2 is not in another dimension over an E92 M3. Is it better from a sportscar standpoint? Hell yes. Is the E92 M3 better from a GT car standpoint? Hell yes.
Maybe the 997.2 is more civilized than the .1 then - but the .2 is totally fine for me as a DD and I deal with LA traffic. I couldnt do it in the 996 40th. Too noisy and harsh. Although I did try. The .2 is actually too quiet for me sometimes - its almost the only criticism I have. I shoulda got PSE and probably will do something but it will have to be switchable so I can keep doing the DD thing. I love the fact I can..

If you think a .1 is noisy then I'd get rid of it - diffrent strokes...

You clearly want a GT and not a sports car. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:58 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevepow
There must be a big difference then between the 997.1 and 997.2. My car is comfy and, while noisier than a BMW, I use the hands free bluetooth phone all the time and it actually works better and is easier for others to hear than our Lexus GX470 - just because it is setup better.

I'd call it completely fine as a daily driver car - honest.

M3s are cool cars though. I wouldn't call it a compromise - just different. There's plenty of compromises with the 911 too - space, storage, etc. There'd certainly be nothing bad about having an M3.
Totally agree the BT, nav etc are outstanding. Actually totally surprised me as German cars typically suck at Nav's etc. Japanese cars are much better. But the new PCM is really good.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:03 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Maybe the 997.2 is more civilized than the .1 then - but the .2 is totally fine for me as a DD and I deal with LA traffic. I couldnt do it in the 996 40th. Too noisy and harsh. Although I did try. The .2 is actually too quiet for me sometimes - its almost the only criticism I have. I shoulda got PSE and probably will do something but it will have to be switchable so I can keep doing the DD thing. I love the fact I can..

If you think a .1 is noisy then I'd get rid of it - diffrent strokes...

You clearly want a GT and not a sports car. Nothing wrong with that.
The .2 may indeed be quieter....or your gauge of "high level of noise" is different than mine. I did just turn 40 Love the fact that you can DD yours. I'm sure the PDK makes it even more DD'able. I hear it's phenominal.

At this juncture, I do think I want a GT.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:12 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

The .2 may indeed be quieter....or your gauge of "high level of noise" is different than mine. I did just turn 40 Love the fact that you can DD yours. I'm sure the PDK makes it even more DD'able. I hear it's phenominal.

At this juncture, I do think I want a GT.
And I'm 46 Maybe I'm a young 46 - (LOL coz its not true). Take care.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:26 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

And I'm 46 Maybe I'm a young 46 - (LOL coz its not true). Take care.
Best to ya buddy. Enjoy that LA weather in the coming months while I push snow
Old 11-15-2009, 09:56 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Amerlemans said:
You said in the other thread that a Z06 would trash a 997.2 PDK. Now you are saying in this thread that you havent driven it. How could you be so knowledgeable about it on that thread then weigh in on this thread admitting you know nothing about it? Isnt that kind of moronic?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:00 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Amerlemans said:

You said in the other thread that a Z06 would trash a 997.2 PDK. Now you are saying in this thread that you havent driven it. How could you be so knowledgeable about it on that thread then weigh in on this thread admitting you know nothing about it? Isnt that kind of moronic?
While I think the C2S .2 is really quick - it will get trashed by a Z06. 500+HP vs. a conservative 385HP.

Whats talk about a Z06 vs a 997.2 doing in a BMW thread anyway?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:27 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I think the C2S .2 is really quick - it will get trashed by a Z06. 500+HP vs. a conservative 385HP.

Whats talk about a Z06 vs a 997.2 doing in a BMW thread anyway?
Did I miss it or was anyone seriously positing that a Z06 and 997 are at all comparable in performance? That would be silly. Don't get me wrong, I love the 997, but it is no Z06 in terms of performance.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:42 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Did I miss it or was anyone seriously positing that a Z06 and 997 are at all comparable in performance? That would be silly. Don't get me wrong, I love the 997, but it is no Z06 in terms of performance.
There's performance and performance. Numbers performance the Z06 trashes the 997.2S (500HP vs 385HP). But driver performance/feeling and driver confidence is a different question. The Z06 can be driven fast but it feels to me always on the ragged edge. The seat of the feel pants of a 997.2S gives me far more confidence to drive fast.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:47 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Amerlemans said:

Where did I ever say I drove a PDK in the other thread? I don't have to drive it myself as I know two people that own both a PDK997 and a C6Z and their comment is "the PDK is fantastic and quicker than the manuel but NOWHERE near the performance of a C6Z." Outside of those two only a Porsche fanboi would even mention that ANY 997S has the performance numbers of a Z06....and only a Vette fanboi would say that ANY Vette has the build quality of a Porsche. End of story.

Why do you feel the need to constantly put words in my mouth? You also said in the other thread that I said a Z06 would destroy a 997GT3. I challenge you to go find where I said that. Go ahead...I'm waiting.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:57 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Still waiting OldGayGuy.

You wont comment because you're dead wrong. I know you've read the post. You're obsessed with me.

Quick Reply: BMW owner now considering a 997. Please help.