Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW owner now considering a 997. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:19 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

My dailey driver is a 1999 BMW 328i with sport package.

Bought it with 10K miles, it now has 175K miles - still on the original clutch.

-------------

I just bought a 2009 Carerra at the bargain price of $62K, there are deals out there.

The 911 rides quiter and smoother than the BMW - which I actually like now that I am closing on 50 years old.

It depends where you are in life.

When I was younger I like really agressive/performance oriented packages.

Now I prefer the milder set ups - to each his own.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:45 PM
19_hole
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned both the BMW and Porsche.

While I truely enjoy driving my 2009 911, I will never buy another one. PCNA really doesn't get the concept of customer satisfaction. They read stock answers from a script and when you state actual issues they don't respond.

BMW is just the opposite. I have had an M3 transmission (manual) replaced without any questions due to vibration (turned out to be bad bearings). They truely try to solve the customers problems and do it quickly. I have had 20+ BMWs in the past and I am on my second 911 since 2005.

It looks like a V8 M3 or a Dinan modded 335i coupe is in my future.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:53 PM
johnwb
Racer

My 2005 997 S does not feel light in the front on the highway. I've had it over 140 MPH on the track and it feels solid and stable. It does feel different than a BMW, but not in a bad way. You'll learn how to drive the Porsche. It is a little different than the BMW.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:48 PM
bgrabner
Burning Brakes

For what its worth, I also have an '07 BMW 550i, which I definitely love. But sales are going very well for my team, so I am going to start looking at 997's here right around the holidays. I really appreciate the BMW's - this is my 2nd, but there is something about a Porsche that is just unique, and I think its time to graduate :-). I'm a little concerned about having the engine in the wrong end of the car, but I think I can adapt - lol.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:06 PM
ross74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also switched from BMW to Porsche. I think with cars as with everything its all relative (to expectations) but the 911 is beyond doubt the most usable sports car there is.
When I switched I was also considering a used 997 but finally i decided to buy a new 997.2 and the main reason was the PDK. I have always driven manuals but once i test drove the PDK i thought it was so good it was worth the extra...

So my only advice would be that unless you have decided to go manual you should definitely try the PDK before making up your mind..
Old 11-12-2009, 10:48 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 548 Posts

I had an E46 M3 and went to the 996 40th anniversary. To me it was a big step up. BMW was nice but a compromise - sport sedan but not a sport car. Fast but not sporty. Porsche felt pure. Steering, handling etc. blew the E46 away. Have had it for 4.5 years.

I just got a 997.2 C2S 2 months ago. Its amazing. Its quiet enough to use as a DD (be on the phone, do conf calls, stick it in Auto with PDK etc.). But when you want to - hit sport or sport plus, SPASM to sport and off you go.

BMW's are great - you cant compare a 550 to a 911. It has 4 seats and a good size trunk. If you need that its a great car. But the 911 is much more fun and will have a smile on your face as long as you have it. The experience gets better over time - you never tire of it or lose the feeling.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:28 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove a 911 for years, a cabriolet, wanted to get something that was a little easier to drive, more comfortable, quieter, something that still had some performance value, ended up with a 550 sport. Loved the car, really did. But having driven a 911 nothing really drives the same. Today I'm back in a cabriolet, as Dan said, they are a car that is to be driven, everyday, and once you've gotten one under your skin there really is no substitute. I know that is a cliché, but it is so true. JMTC
Old 11-12-2009, 05:13 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
It's been a childhood dream of mine to buy a 911 and I'm exploring whether to make that dream a reality some time soon.
I was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago. I have a BMW 530i and a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (not counting the wife's mini-van, although it's good for storage) - I took the plunge and added the 997.1

I did keep the other cars though, and personally I think having a 997 as my only car would be difficult. For example, my wife and I picked up a new iMac when it came out and it barely fit in the car - anything bigger would not.

I use the 530i when I have to travel to D.C. (I live in VA) - or when it rains - or when I know I have to park on the road downtown. I drive the 997 to work about 3 days a week. It's actually really nice to bounce between the cars - it makes the 997 more fun when I come back to it. But I have to say the BMW really feels down on power now ;-> Can you keep the BMW as well?

Answers to your other questions:

- Light front end. I really only felt this once when accelerating hard down a hill. It felt odd, but not too bad. It feels rock solid on the highway.

- Model. I have a 997.1 and added XM (from a Cayenne) and iPod integration. Love it. If you are going to track it get the S - otherwise drive both and see what you like. I preferred the base (with Sport Exhaust / sport mode) - I use it as a daily driver and it was more comfortable, less noisy, and really the speed difference is best measured with a stop watch. Plus, it was the color / had the options I wanted. I mention the Sport option because the improved throttle response makes it feel more responsive - more like the S. However, when you want to drive 'normally' and want to be able to hear your bluetooth ear piece better you can turn it off. I actually paid more for the non-S (between the S and non-S on the lot. non-S was newer) because I preferred it. For my next Porsche I will start over and compare them again - maybe I'll be in a different place.

I had the same boyhood dream - and the car actually exceeded my expectations. I say do it.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vman4639
I had the same boyhood dream...
It's a common story.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:01 PM
stevehoenes
4th Gear

Hi
I drive a BMW as a daily driver, 330d sport tourer which I have had for nearly 8 years and 325i before that. Always wanted a 911, took me 25 years to get it, Bought a new C2S 997 in 2006, Loved it from the day I got it, Did 24,000 miles of driving including some of the great mountain passes in Europe, had it up to 170 MPH and did not feel light at the front end, Have done 165 MPH on un-restricted autobahns in Germany without any problems. It was a fantastic car, Chased turbo's and GT 2's on twisty roads, up hairpin bends and loved every minute of it. Have now changed it for a pre-owned 997.2 C4S with PDK and fully loaded with extra's. It's a totally different car from my original, PDK is something else but my first C2s will always be special. If your budget will not stretch to a GEN 2 car, go with the Gen1, trust me you will not be dissapointed, The S is the one to go for IMO, the C4S is not essential unless you get snow in the winter and or lots of wet conditions as you would need to be a nut case to un-stick the C2S.

My only disappointment is that My type of business does not allow me to use it as a daily driver. For your first car, I would definitely recommend a coupe, with sunshine roof, Sports exhaust, manual, short shift and what other extra's float your boat. If you do a lot of heavy traffic work, get a Gen 2 PDK, that way you get to drive auto or as a manual when ever the mood takes.

The truth is, I expect that what ever generation 911 car you own, you will love it but always want more. The reality is though, it's not the amount of power you have, but its how you use it that counts. Unless you do straight line blatting of course.

Sorry this is so long, but go forth and enjoy
Old 11-12-2009, 06:35 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am reading through the posts here and agreeing with some disagreeing with others but interestingly the common theme seems to be that many of us Porsche owners have at some point owned a BMW and have given them up for Porsches. Allow me to offer a different perspective.

I love BMW and Porsche equally I have owned them both and find each with their own beautiful characteristics. Both cars have lost their focus but this is true of every single car company in the world as they all try to be everything to everyone. The reason I own them both is because I live in Chicago and Midwest winters are not kind to 911s. I use the 540i as a daily driver and use the 911 for 70% street and 30% track. the 911 does a better job in mixing track with street while the 540i is a great all around street car and cruiser. When buying the 997S I thought long and hard between that and the E92 M3 as the M3 would be my only car where the 911 needs a garage mate.

So why I have a different perspective. As I am 37 and moving towards getting married and starting a family I will be moving closer to more BMW ownership and less Porsche. Why? Economics and functionality. BMW offers fun, quality and practicality in one fantastic package. On this board I find a lot of us fancy ourselves junior Michael Schumachers but the reality is about 5% of us are capable enough to push even a bone stock 997S or E92 M3 to its limits on track and certainly not on the street. After the recent economic crisis, despite paying for both cars in cash, I wish I would have had more cash and less wheels. As an FX derivatives trader for Bank of America Merrill Lynch let's just say pay has not been as robust. I hope to increase my track time this year and if I do and really take it seriously I am not willing to make the huge investment into the 997S to get it there (safety, blah blah), I would rather buy a E46 M3 or even E39 M3 and do it as effectively and much cheaper. I infact have been toying with the idea of after next year going M5 and track rat (older M3, Miata, Lotus...........). I hope things change and I can continue to have a 997S in fact last year I was planning on a GT3 but the reality is BMW has better package for my needs.

Having said all that I am still playning on keeping it for another year and I am very lucky to have a girl in my life who loves the 997 more than me and gets angry every time I try to discuss the better all around package of the M3, in fact she talked me out of the M3 when I bought the 997S. Is the 997S a better sports car than the M3, YES. Is the M3 a better all around package than the 997S, yes.

We are all in different phases in our lives and both cars offer fantastic experiences better than any other cars in the world.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
bla bla bla ...I am very lucky to have a girl in my life who loves the 997 more than me and gets angry every time I try to discuss the better all around package of the M3, in fact she talked me out of the M3 when I bought the 997S.

That was a long story - my favorite part was "boy meets girl, girl loves Porsche"!
Old 11-14-2009, 11:48 PM
KS997.2PASM

Long time BMW owner. Tracked my e36 M3 many times many track including Road Atlanta last month. I even drove the new e92 M3 down at RA. It's an amazing car, just didnt lust after it like I do for a carerra. Alas the alure of the 911 has reeled me in. I have a new 997.2 S that'll be delivered in 2 days to my driveway. I cant wait.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:27 AM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Couple of comments here coming from a current 997S owner and former owner of countless BMW's ('03 E46M3, '08 335i, '06M5 and current wife's car --- '06X5).

I drive 7.5 miles one way to work and my 997S is my Primary driver. I do take the dog hauler ('98 4Runner) on crappy weather days. Those that say this is a good daily driver car must be a helluva lot more tolerant than me or they drive a Tip transmission. The car is not a good DD IMO. It's noisey and a bit cramped for a DD.

I'm not saying the Porsche isn't a good car. In fact, it's phenominal....it's just not conducive for daily driving and in my case, I don't LOVE IT enough to drive the dog hauler as my primary car and just use the 997S for weekends, etc.

I'm also not saying that the E92 M3 is a sports car. It's exactly what folks here have described it as -- a GT car. Prior to the 997S, I had an E60 M5 which is what I knew in the back of my mind I was looking for. A couple of things that killed that for me ----- was too big, got 10 mpg and the SMG sux. Now after having owned the 997S for 6 months, I'm convinced that what I'm looking for is a melding of the 997S and the E60M5 --- thus the E92 M3 with DCT.

Last edited by amerlemans; 11-15-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:59 AM
royalpar1
Instructor

Default cab

I had a 330CIC which albeit is no M3, i felt i was just missing something. I traded for my 997 and never looked back. I am not a beamer hater, i just never felt the same in the car. Most of it was the Porsche
Badge and the drive.

Quick Reply: BMW owner now considering a 997. Please help.