Sponsored by:

997.2 Rattles post..

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:38 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 997.2 Rattles post..

any other guys out there with 997.2 have rattles that bother the hell out of them?

has anyone been good enough to eliminate them? (ive heard from another member he was maybe bringing his car to dealer for them to fix under warranty) is this actually a warranty issue they will fix?????

i have severe rattle under the steering column, and what seems like behind the cluster, another one pass side back seat side panel, another C pillar pass side...

very frustrating especially after a hectic day when u wanna relax and the rattles just annoy you more.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:46 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sometimes my key rattles on the chain, sometimes the change rattles in the coin holder, sometimes other bits I have stashed about - any of it drives me nuts. I dread the day it is not something I can reposition to stop. And yes, I'd take it to the dealer and ask for help with the hope that a) they can and b) it would be warranty.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:49 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

oh the key thing really got to me, i have a ziptie keychain now.. (why would you make the edge of your key metal??? isnt that why like honda started using plastic fobs in like the 70's????

i never put change in the change holder anymore... i lay it flat on the rubber thats in the console... learned that one. LOL

i wanted to ask what other people have done RE: dealer first, not really something you call about and my guys are 45min away each, suncoast is an hour but i think id have the best luck there and probably a nice cayman loaner to convince me i need a cayman too!.

isnt their someone on this forum from suncoast? the bert smith service guys never seem like they wanna do anything for free... i once left my 997.1 with them for a full day to fix a window problem and they called me back, and i realized they didnt even do anything!.. and being in that jetta loaner made me understand why these young emo kids that drive jetta's always slit their wrists..
Old 11-10-2009, 02:54 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine has a rattle or vibration coming from the rear passenger side. BUt I was so used
to errant sounds of my GT3's I really havent paid much attention to it. Mostly because
of the 8400 red line!
My key chains rattles too.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:31 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 552 Posts

Mine has a little pasenger seat rattle over rough roads - not much else. Not really annoying. My 996 was actually pretty rattle free for 4.5 years. At least no real annoying ones that I noticed. Hey its a Porsche and its stiffer than a Lexus
Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is an easy one to fix:
those 3 speakers that are across the dash have some grills that buzz over rough pavement. Every once and a while, I push them back down and solves the rattle!
BTW, a friend of mine has an early build 997 with rattles everywhere. He brought it to a dealer and they did fix nearly every one under warranty. He is so happy he did that! So I think that most dealers would be willing to handle some of the easier ones.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:28 AM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my sunroof, in the completely closed position, rattles when I'm going over any bumps or I have music on w/ heavy base. Took it to my dealer. He put down some lubricant as recommended by factory and guess what, the rattle is actually worse. It sounds like when you tap the back of the guitar kind of sound. Just comes off as cheap. I've given up hope and drive around w/ the engine revving high in hopes of forgetting about the roof rattle.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

05 997 S, no rattles whatsoever.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Bola964
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi mine rattles on the back, around the driver's seat belt area, and also has this annoying cricket noise coming out of the instrument cluster.
It is at the dealer right now. That's give me a chance to pay some attention to my 993.....
But of course, the car has been there since yesterday and so far they say they hear no noises. This is the 2nd time I sent it back. All under warranty, of course.
It's very annoying though.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:23 PM
cobla
3rd Gear

I have a C4S - launch car with the carbon fiber seats. The passenger seat rattles every once in a while.
Is it a common problem with this kind of seats ??
Old 11-10-2009, 01:09 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
05 997 S, no rattles whatsoever.
Yep---me too. 60k miles and tight as a drum.

No peeling on the console switches either.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:58 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a rattle at time from either the door pull or the window switch. In fairness, shortly after I bought my car in May the city began a big water line project on the street I have to take to get to and from my house. The road is still a mess and I am going to wait until it is repaved before I decide what rattles I have.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:49 PM
mstams
Racer

I've had a few rattles on my early build C4S now with 5,000 miles.

Worst two:

First one was easily identified instrument cluster rattle. Dealer took care of this by installing felt in a couple spots around the cluster. This has not yet resurfaced except for an occasional plastic pop sound when hitting harsh potholes -- not perfect, but no big deal anymore.

Another more annoying rattle has recently developed on passenger side dash. I haven't had a chance to track it down yet but it comes and goes and almost sounds like very loud static from the speakers. It is very annoying when acting up -- but if I wait a few minutes, it usually disappears. If it ever gets more consistent, I think I'll take it in. It can be so loud that radio cannot even hide it.

Other minor annoyances:

My key chain clattered, so I removed it completely. Looked nice but bugged me too much.

Driver's seat belt tensioner makes small noises in my left ear as it varies the tension as I drive. Solution - turn up the radio. That one can be hidden.

Lastly, small rattles starting to develop in rear passenger area. Not sure if it's in the pillar or what. Thought it was the rear seat belt at first but moved it around to various positions and still makes same noise. Not a huge problem but it seems to be getting more pronounced.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 PM
997sRider
Track Day

I guess every one has clattering key chain problem. I fixed it by getting a key lanyard from Coach. Key looked too bare without anything attached to it. There is minimal buzzing in the driver's seat belt tensioner once in a while. Otherwise, no rattles or weird sounds in my 997.2. Big improvement for me. My 997.1 car had alot more rattles which I fixed by turning up the volume on the radio. My partner is much more particular about rattles and he went back to the dealer countless times. I think there is TSB on backend creaking sound from body flexing. The dealer took off the whole back end body panels and used rivets to fasten some parts and the sound went away.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:14 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Tsb on 997.1 or 997.2? I hav rear chassis flex that causes noise in panels.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Rattles post..