Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Option or Not to Option

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am all for a highly optioned car, but when looking for lower resale price vehicles, the overall physical condition of the car and/or low mileage should be the principle factors.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although not really an option, if you are looking at higher mileage '05/'06 models CPO is something you may wish to consider. I would not have purchased my 50K mile '05 C2 without it.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by MichaelL
I am all for a highly optioned car, but when looking for lower resale price vehicles, the overall physical condition of the car and/or low mileage should be the principle factors.
This was my main concern when I recently got my 2007 911. Not too many options, but a low 13.3k on the odo and in excellent condition.

But I'm now finding that things such as PSE are not cheap to add. So if you can find the car you want with the options you want, then all the better.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:09 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
On cars equipped with sport exhaust and sport chrono it is necessary to engage the "sport" mode in order to activate the louder operation of the sport exhaust. Activating sport mode also relaxes the stability management (on PSM cars) allowing more rear end siip before the stability program intervenes. It also makes the throttle response more twitchy, but not not change the performance of a manual transmission car in any measurable way. On PDK or Turbo cars, though, there is a performance improvement with sport mode.

On cars without sport chrono there is instead a PSE exhaust button which controls the exhaust noise.
Thanks Nugget, I forgot about the link between the sport button and the Chrono. I always keep it on and put the PASM suspension to normal on rough roads.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:24 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

My car was in stock when I bought it and this is how it came equipped. My comments are next to the options on how I feel about them.
( ) BSEMDL BASE 911 Carrera S Y 87,000
( ) BDYCLR A1 Black 0
( ) TOPCLR A1 Black 0
( ) INTERI AN Black Standard Leather 0
( ) OPTION 267 Self Dimming Mirrors 420 not necessary
( ) OPTION 342 Heated Front Seats 500 yes, if you are in a cold state
( ) OPTION 446 Wheel Caps with Colored Crest 185 yes
( ) OPTION 619 Bluetooth Phone Interface 695 yes
( ) OPTION 640 Sport Chrono Package Plus 960 yes, for throttle change and the timing clock
( ) OPTION 672 Navigation Module for PCM 2,110 yes, a car for $100k should have a nav period
( ) OPTION 680 Bose High End Sound Package 1,440 not necessary but sounds incredible
( ) OPTION 810 Floor Mats in Interior Color 140 yes
( ) OPTION 870 Universal Audio Interface 440 yes, if you are into your ipod
( ) OPTION 431 3-Spoke Str Whl Multifctn lthr 615 not necessary but love it, especially the look
( ) OPTION P15 Pwr Comfort Seats w/Driver Mem 1,550 yes
( ) OPTION 603 Dynamic Cornering Lights 690 not necessary
( ) OPTION 541 Seat Ventilation 800 yes, I tend to sweat easily, if you dont, not necessary! lol
( ) OPTION P17 PASM Sports Suspension Package 950 yes, like that it sits about an inch lower than a stock 911S, the locking rear differential and overall superior handling.

One option I wish it had was the exhaust, which i will be adding in the future.

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 11-10-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:42 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Options I really like:

- heated and vented seats
- power mem seats - I'm way too OCD about seat position - like to have recall
- heated wheel
- multifunction wheel
- Bose, but I wish they offered something better - lame EQ and ineffective audio pilot are a drag
- ipod - a must for me
- XM/Traffic - did the 3 mo trial - I like it - very handy.
- Nav - must have and it works pretty well
- bluetooth - must have

Wish I had (so I think):

- more leather perhaps - didn't originally want it, but now am concerned about the durability of the soft surfaces like the center console, etc. Dash to me is fine without it.
- DVD changer - could be handy for my small collection of DVDA discs

Don't miss, even though I though I might:

- self-dimming mirrors - but I'd still like them, just not a deal breaker - has not really bothered me yet

Have, and could do without:

- voice control - OK, but not as nice as my BMW, and a bit redundant with MF wheel

Mixed feelings:

- Sports Chrono - its a trick mostly - the chrono works OK, the throttle response stuff is fun but seems gimmicky. On a non-PDK car, maybe even less important.

All this is so personal and subjective though. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Giacomo
Pro

I think the options you want are somewhat dependent on the use of the vehicle such as snowy winter driving and tracking the car. If you are looking for a DE car there will be some options you want, like PASM, in which case just look at S models. Since I have more affordable club racer and the 997 C2 would be an all year car, the only options I required was Xenons, heated seats and silver paint (and CPO). Nevertheless, it was nice to find one with Bose, Nav, power comfort seats w/memory (would not pay extra for these unless you must share the car) leather and some other goodies.

Quick Reply: To Option or Not to Option