Sponsored by:

Overspray issue...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:31 PM
prwdmd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overspray issue...

So... my car was at the dealer for several days about a week ago. On Friday I was prepping the car to wax and after washing it, I noticed that the surface had a very fine gritty residue all over it that would not come off. It is all over the car including front and rear windshields.

After essentially eliminating all other possibilities... the dealer is the only place I can think of that could have been the source of the overspray. Who knows where they had my car parked those few days and what they were doing near my vehicle.

Anyway... my professional detailer checked it out and found that only thing that will remove it is clay bar. Total work to fix problem will run me about $400-500.

My question is what, if anything, should I do in regards to approaching the dealership with this claim. I have a very good relationship with them, but I am almost certain that it occurred while in their possession but can't really prove it other than that they had it for four days about a week ago. Anyone have any experience in dealing with a similar situation?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:36 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds very much like clear coat overspray. Sticky stuff but it can come off.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:20 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I clay my car in about 2 hours. Adam's Clay Bar & Detail Spray from Detailer's Domain is about $30 or so and 2 hours of time.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:46 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you've determined with a high degree of certainty that this occurred at the dealership, I would bring this to the company's attention immediately using the same respectful approach that you used in asking us your question. Give your dealer the opportunity to investigate the matter and offer associated remedies.

I have found Porsche dealers to be especially willing to accommodate customers, so I would anticipate that your particular dealer will work to make this right.

Good luck and be sure to let us know the outcome.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Whatever you do, use the most gentle stuff first! Let the company know that you discovered and suspect this happened in their care. Most likely it happened to more than one car.

I had a 1 year old Porsche repainted at the factory one time and they re-PAINTED it well, but there was overspray on it that led me to have to dealt with--and the guy who worked on it didn't know anything--unfortunately!
Old 11-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Does your dealer have their own body shop and paint booth on premises? What would a dealer be doing spraying clear coat out in the open?
Old 11-09-2009, 12:54 PM
sssinc
Rennlist Member

It took me all of 15-20 minutes to clayy bar my car and it was as smooth as silk.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:33 AM
prwdmd
Intermediate

OK... after some further investigation, turns out dealer was not at fault. They had my car parked inside the whole time and they do not have an onsite body shop. They were very nice about my inquiry and checked with their mechanics to rule out anything that was going on in the shop. I have since found out that someone was painting with sprayer in the vicinity of car last week. Amazing how far overspray can travel... I was parked about 30-40 feet away. Paint residue matches with what they were using... so I will definitely be raising the issue with this person.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:32 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prwdmd
...someone was painting with sprayer in the vicinity of car...
Yikes!!! So what's in store for this painter???
Old 11-11-2009, 09:44 AM
jkramer
Track Day

denial - I had a similar thing many years. My wife parked my car near a fence manufacturer on a windy day they were spray painting black link fence. My car felt like sandpaper when she got home, fortunately it was only a few hours with a claybar to get it all off.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:42 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Clay is a wonder product. And very easy to use. Have at it, and you'll be over the worry in no time.

Quick Reply: Overspray issue...