Sponsored by:

Dealer question (Cross-Post)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Steven B
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer question (Cross-Post)

Am looking at a 997 located at Manhatten Porsche (Manhatten Motorcars). Has anyone dealt with them? Reputation? Comments??
Thanks!!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:42 PM
uvgaal
Rennlist Member

I live in Mahattan but bought my car somehere else. The cars on their website seem about 10k too expensive. I guess its hard for them to compete given their cost. Never bothered to negotiate with them. Which car are u looking at?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:55 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A recent post stated an initial not-so hot deal with Manhattan, ending up with a good experience at Pepe Porsche.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:58 AM
Steven B
Racer

Thanks thus far - My "search" showed a problem with Pepe, and yet a later person did well there. I think I'm looking for opinions on their integrity, sleaze/truth factor as I won't jump unless the price is what I can afford anyway.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:22 AM
dD/dt
Racer

I just went through this.

At Manhattan, I got a junior salesman. When I said something about the trunk money, he acted like he didn't know what I was talking about. In fairness, I wasn't quite ready to buy at the time, so I didn't push the issue. I just let it drop and wandered off. Who knows what would have come up, but I can't imagine things are going anywhere positive if he wants to guard the world's worst kept secret.

At Pepe, it took about 10 minutes of very straightforward negotiating with Gene Centauro to arrive at a very agreeable price. He's the sales mgr. A friend had a similar experience. We both bought '09's off the lot there.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Agree that the junior sales folks are not very good. However, the sales manager's name is Manny and when he gets involved, the dealing becomes agressively in favor of the potential customer. All with high integrity.

I know many who have purchased at Manhattan. No issues and overall good deals. They cater to the Investment Banker bonus crowd. Porsches are their cheapest line they carry in their Porsche, Rolls, Bentley, Lambo showroom. Makes you feel a bit humble.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:59 AM
RH512
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Only walked into Manhattan once. Was about 10 minutes from closing and they clearly just wanted me to leave. Never went back. I do remember other postings with issues at Manhattan.

Purchased at Pepe, very pleasant and satisfied experience at Pepe. My dealings were with John Farrell who I would highly recommend but also spoke with Gary and Gene on occasion. This process took about a year, always a positive experience with integrity.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Steven B
Racer

Thank you all for your input. Sounds as if they are a touch arrogant, so we shall see what cometh of this all......
Old 11-08-2009, 07:07 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Manhattan is not a great place I have dealt with them before and last year they were just SO proud of themselves for asking $100K over MSRP for a 08GT3 RS. Then they were stupefied that they didnt get any offers. (there was a salesguy from manhattan on another forum, lets just say he didnt represent the human race very well.)
Old 11-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Speed
Pro

I bought my '02 996 from Manhattan Motorcars and they were willing to negotiate on a car that I was ordering for a future build as opposed to what they had in their inventory. Also, I was selling my '99 996 privately and they ran the transaction through the dealership which saved me $4,000 in sales tax. When I was looking to buy my '05 997 I went to Manhattan first but the car had just come out and they were very frank that the demand from the investment banker crowd was too great for them to discount. I wound up buying from Beechmont Porsche in Cincinnati whch gave me a discount and also ran the private sale of my '02 through the dealership to save me on the sales tax.

With the economy being what it is and investment bankers losing their jobs, they may be more realistic about negotiating.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Bola964
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crooks! I bought my first P-car from them, and I was robbed blind and mistreated. An italian guy. Learned my lesson. Wouldn't buy from them if it was the last car in the world. If you're in RI that are many other dealers to buy from. Good luck with your buy.

Quick Reply: Dealer question (Cross-Post)