Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1st Porsche, a '07 911 - some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My 1st Porsche, a '07 911 - some questions...

Just picked up an '07 Carrera coupe, manual with 13k on the odo. A really fun car to drive! I have no nav, Bluetooth or CD changer options though, and I'd like to add these.

So my first question - is there an aftermarket audio/Nav unit with Bluetooth that can replace the existing PCM? If not, I guess an external Garmin nav unit would suit me for that, but having the nav's audio routed to the speakers would be preferable. And I'd also like to have Bluetooth connectivity wired into the existing speakers for my cell if possible, any recommendations for this?

I'm also noticing I need to be quite careful in my driveway or extra large dips in the road, to keep from scraping the front end spoiler. I've found crossing at an angle helps some, but the scraping still occurs. Have others done anything else to prevent or reduce the front end scraping?

Last question - this car is a base 911 (not the S or 4S). Is there anything I need to be aware or concerned with (aside from speeding tickets - LOL)? Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Welcome to the club.

You can add those treats to the car but it won't be inexpensive. Porsche developed a system that relies upon a fiber optic ring to link all the subcomponents. Several have been successful at finding parts on eBay or from Suncoast or Sunset Porsche (florida and oregon dealers). Personally, I like the integrated nav system, and hence the reason I ordered it. I don't have to deal with taking a unit down and hiding every time I park the car in less than friendly areas.

You can add something to protect the front underside of the car with a skid plate. Do a search within the 997 forum for some of my past postings. That product has been very effective for me.

TRY to behave yourself! These cars are extremely tempting to drive fast. Try to simply be confident in knowing that the car is capable of so much more than we are allowed to do on the public highways. Join the Porsche Club of America (PCA) and you will learn about driving events for your car. There is also the Porsche Owners Club (POC) which is tailored more toward DRIVING, versus the WINE and CHEESE set.

There are bluetooth systems available for the phone as well. One that works quite well is the Tooki, but check applicability to your cell phone first.

The Santa Barbara Region of the PCA meets on the first Saturday at the Camarillo Airport Cafe for breakfast. Take a drive up the 101.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The Santa Barbara Region of the PCA meets on the first Saturday at the Camarillo Airport Cafe for breakfast. Take a drive up the 101.
Now that's a good tip, Dan!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Rambler358
Instructor

Thanks for your input Dan, very much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You can add those treats to the car but it won't be inexpensive. Porsche developed a system that relies upon a fiber optic ring to link all the subcomponents. Several have been successful at finding parts on eBay or from Suncoast or Sunset Porsche (florida and oregon dealers). Personally, I like the integrated nav system, and hence the reason I ordered it.
I wish mine would have come with nav installed, as I'd rather have nav integrated as well. My previous '04 MB SL500 had nav, but it was really quite bad - for both interface and guidance. I'll likely be just as happy with an external Garmin unit, for much less $$$.

You can add something to protect the front underside of the car with a skid plate. Do a search within the 997 forum for some of my past postings. That product has been very effective for me.
Thanks! I'll do a skid plate search and see what I can come up with.

There are bluetooth systems available for the phone as well. One that works quite well is the Tooki, but check applicability to your cell phone first.
I've checked out the NAV-TV site for the Tooki here, and it looks quite nice integrating with the existing PCM. But the price at $750 (not including installation) is a bit up there! The Bluetooth connectivity is probably what I'm really looking for right now, and the Tooki looks very nice. I'll have to search around and see if it can be had cheaper perhaps. If I do end up getting the Tooki, any idea what a dealer or Porsche shop might charge to install it?

TRY to behave yourself! These cars are extremely tempting to drive fast. Try to simply be confident in knowing that the car is capable of so much more than we are allowed to do on the public highways.
Yeah, tell me about it! But I'm lucky enough to live in an area with some nice twisty mountain roads not too far away, where I ride my motorcycle quite a bit. Can't wait to see what it can do up there.

Join the Porsche Club of America (PCA) and you will learn about driving events for your car. There is also the Porsche Owners Club (POC) which is tailored more toward DRIVING, versus the WINE and CHEESE set.

Thanks for those tips, I'll definately check them out.

Looks like I also missed out not having the PSE option. Any idea on what that might cost me for parts and installation? The stock sound is just okay IMO, and a boost to that without voiding any emissions controls would be great - depending on cost of course.

Thanks again for all the info.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:32 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

"I've checked out the NAV-TV site for the Tooki here, and it looks quite nice integrating with the existing PCM. But the price at $750 (not including installation) is a bit up there! The Bluetooth connectivity is probably what I'm really looking for right now, and the Tooki looks very nice. I'll have to search around and see if it can be had cheaper perhaps. If I do end up getting the Tooki, any idea what a dealer or Porsche shop might charge to install it?"

I INSTALLED MINE MYSELF. IT'S NOT THAT HARD. TAKE A DRIVE UP THE COAST SOME WEEKEND, I CAN PUT IT IN FOR YOU.

"Looks like I also missed out not having the PSE option. Any idea on what that might cost me for parts and installation? The stock sound is just okay IMO, and a boost to that without voiding any emissions controls would be great - depending on cost of course"

WOULD IMAGINE THAT TO BE ABOUT $2200.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:50 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i put XM and Bluetooth in my car. i already had nav and used a high end installer to do the work (benchmark automotive in bellevue, wa). i also had radar/laser jammer put in, so i tallied up a big bill.

the most cost effective thing to do if you want all of the goodies you mentioned is to put in a new head unit with nav/bluetooth and it will also have an ipod hookup for you. not cheap but very good, and much better nav than the OEM.

you never know but maybe you can get Dan to experiment and help you put it in. there are lots of good installers in LA but dan's probably better company and you'll learn every single solitary thing about porsche you ever wanted to learn
Old 11-04-2009, 02:30 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A bit off topic, but every time I hear about Rt. 101 I get jealous! I'm tempted to ship my car to the West Coast, fly out there, drive around a week or two, and ship/fly back. (Probably would be cheaper to just rent one there...)
Old 11-04-2009, 02:41 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Rambler, congrats on your new car and welcome to the family.
I have a Magellan and it has bluetoothin in it
Its nice having that all built in though
Old 11-04-2009, 05:27 AM
ClaylG
Instructor

I can't believe that no one asked for pics.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

I got a Garmin (770T) which has Bluetooth, an MP3 player (SD card slot), and an FM transmitter that plays through the stereo. I tuned the #6 radio button to the frequency I use. There's a little static when nothing's playing, but for the $300 I paid (gray market I suppose) I can live with it. Has US and European maps too.

It was great for the 1st few months, but then I got a new cellphone, and it isn't compatible with the Garmin (and Garmin has the worst customer service I've ever seen). So now I'm using a BlueAnt ST3 on the visor for the handsfree. Nothing like having it through the stereo, but it was $55 and I'm not on the phone that much. The Garmin still works for NAV and as an MP3 though, and who knows, my next cell might be compatible again.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated!

Dan - I found this link for the skid pad you mentioned:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-for-997s.html
I think it's the one you meant? Anyway, that looks like a nice solution. Looks like I'm going to have to locate a decent Porsche shop near me.

Regarding the NAV-TV Tooki Bluetooth unit, has anyone found a cheaper price than the listed $750? If there's other interested parties, perhaps a group buy purchase could be had? There's one on eBay right now but it ends in an hour, and I can't snag it just yet. I do have a eBay search created for it in case others show up though.

If I was to take the SIM card out of my cell phone and put it into the PCM's SIM card slot, would the phone work then? I guess I could just try it and see, but didn't know if there was some kind of activation procedure if it was able to work.

ClaylG - LOL, I'll try and take some pics this weekend and post them here. But it's a standard '07 911 model, black on black with black Porsche wheels. The dealer put new P Zero's on it right before I bought it. Good thing, as I smoked the rears a bit during my test drive a week earlier.

OldGuy - I've got a HTC Advantage PocketPC/phone right now that I'm using for my GPS with Garmin software and maps on it. It's got a 5" screen, so it works quite well for that.

brendorenn - What kind of all-in-one head units are there that's compatible with the fiber optic connector? My previous MB SL500 had a similar fiber optic connecter thing, and it was nearly impossible to install an aftermarket audio/nav/Bluetooth unit and still have it work like OEM.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:59 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler358

brendorenn - What kind of all-in-one head units are there that's compatible with the fiber optic connector? My previous MB SL500 had a similar fiber optic connecter thing, and it was nearly impossible to install an aftermarket audio/nav/Bluetooth unit and still have it work like OEM.
i just stopped by the shop yesterday with a friend who has a 2006 MB and i know kenwood makes one for his car. the nav in that car is terrible and he's also looking for bluetooth, etc. not sure about the porsche but i know they're out there. a good electronics shop can point you in the right direction.

you an also call benchmark motoring http://www.benchmarkmotoring.com/con...ontact_us.html and ask them about what they use. they're very helpful.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by geof
A bit off topic, but every time I hear about Rt. 101 I get jealous! I'm tempted to ship my car to the West Coast, fly out there, drive around a week or two, and ship/fly back. (Probably would be cheaper to just rent one there...)
There's nothing to be jealous about. What we don't have out here that you have are roads and scenery that you find out toward Point of Rocks, past Purcelleville/Front Royal and around the Blue Ridge area headed toward Sperryville - even some of the roads around Quantico MCB are amazing. Of course first you have to wade through the traffic congested mess that No. VA has become but still, it's not like you have to drive across the Bay Bridge hoping it doesn't fall down around you or wait for a 7.0+ shaker that everyone says is coming.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rambler358

Dan - I found this link for the skid pad you mentioned:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-for-997s.html
I think it's the one you meant? Anyway, that looks like a nice solution. Looks like I'm going to have to locate a decent Porsche shop near me.

Regarding the NAV-TV Tooki Bluetooth unit, has anyone found a cheaper price than the listed $750? If there's other interested parties, perhaps a group buy purchase could be had? There's one on eBay right now but it ends in an hour, and I can't snag it just yet. I do have a eBay search created for it in case others show up though.

If I was to take the SIM card out of my cell phone and put it into the PCM's SIM card slot, would the phone work then? I guess I could just try it and see, but didn't know if there was some kind of activation procedure if it was able to work.

ClaylG - LOL, I'll try and take some pics this weekend and post them here. But it's a standard '07 911 model, black on black with black Porsche wheels. The dealer put new P Zero's on it right before I bought it. Good thing, as I smoked the rears a bit during my test drive a week earlier.

OldGuy - I've got a HTC Advantage PocketPC/phone right now that I'm using for my GPS with Garmin software and maps on it. It's got a 5" screen, so it works quite well for that.

Unless a car's PCM is programmed for phone functions, simply putting your SIMM card in the slot does nothing. Occasionally they do group buys and specials on the Tooki system.

The skid plate I use is the plastic, black ABS one--you saw the pictures.

I don't think there are that many aftermarket MOST ring systems out there to be had for reasonable money. it will be pricey to modify.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Rambler358
Instructor

Does anyone know of the right-side power window has automatic up? Meaning that the window will close without having to hold the window up button? No problem with my driver's side window, but I have to hold the passenger window button up until the window closes. I can just press once for the passenger window to go down however. Just trying to see if this is normal operation, or if a warranty fix is in order?

Quick Reply: My 1st Porsche, a '07 911 - some questions...