Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1st Porsche, a '07 911 - some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler358
Does anyone know of the right-side power window has automatic up? Meaning that the window will close without having to hold the window up button? No problem with my driver's side window, but I have to hold the passenger window button up until the window closes. I can just press once for the passenger window to go down however. Just trying to see if this is normal operation, or if a warranty fix is in order?
No need to worry, as that's by design (annoyingly, I might add). Once the passenger side window reaches the halfway point, one-touch close kicks in.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 AM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ucube
No need to worry, as that's by design (annoyingly, I might add). Once the passenger side window reaches the halfway point, one-touch close kicks in.
Thanks Charlie. Yeah, that is an annoying "feature". Good to know about the halfway point though.

Ron
Old 11-05-2009, 01:35 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
There's nothing to be jealous about. What we don't have out here that you have are roads and scenery that you find out toward Point of Rocks, past Purcelleville/Front Royal and around the Blue Ridge area headed toward Sperryville - even some of the roads around Quantico MCB are amazing. Of course first you have to wade through the traffic congested mess that No. VA has become but still, it's not like you have to drive across the Bay Bridge hoping it doesn't fall down around you or wait for a 7.0+ shaker that everyone says is coming.
Those are some good roads- I've been through Sperryville maybe 30 times already! The numbers 211, 522, 231, 340, 15, 673, 15, 9, 50, 55, 17, 635, 28, 85, and many others bring a smile to my face. Haven't tried Quantico yet. I just remember the West Coast being much more rugged and dynamic, especially where the mountains hit the sea- something we don't get in the well worn (but still beautiful) Appalachians.

As for the original post- I don't have much to add about current GPS units- I only have experience with the Nav in the 997 and a Tom Tom unit that came with a rental car in Provence last fall. I'm sorry to say that the Tom Tom was better. There was something nice about having that unit almost eye-level with the outside world. But I still like my Nav.

One thing to keep in mind though is that Google recently announced that a new version of the G phone coming out will have much improved GPS integration. It seems they will, for example, integrate "street view" with other navigation features. This could turn the whole GPS industry upside down, especially given the database that Google has built. (Apparently shares of Tom Tom, Garmin, etc., all dropped something like 20% upon that announcement.) So if you don't like what there is now, just wait a few years.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:13 AM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by geof
As for the original post- I don't have much to add about current GPS units- I only have experience with the Nav in the 997 and a Tom Tom unit that came with a rental car in Provence last fall. I'm sorry to say that the Tom Tom was better.
I've got experience with both Garmin and TomTom software, and I definately prefer the Garmin. Simple things like "Destination is on your right" makes a big difference. Also, Garmin maps were more up to date at the time. Haven't tried any of the newest TomTom devices though, so can't comment on those.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

In re garmin's map accuracy: We have 2 garmins, both of them say our house is on the opposite side of the street
Old 11-05-2009, 12:39 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by geof
A bit off topic, but every time I hear about Rt. 101 I get jealous! I'm tempted to ship my car to the West Coast, fly out there, drive around a week or two, and ship/fly back. (Probably would be cheaper to just rent one there...)
I truly is one of the most spectacular drives in the US. you really should take the time and do it!!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
In re garmin's map accuracy: We have 2 garmins, both of them say our house is on the opposite side of the street
With 2 Garmin standalone units, and 1 PocketPC with Garmin software on it - I've never come across that problem. Are your maps current?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Someone wanted to see pics, so here's a few I just got through taking:

And I think I may have discovered my first warranty issue. The front trunk hood seems to keep poping open at random times. Has anyone else experienced this? Luckily it hasn't happened while driving though.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:41 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

car looks amazing, those lobsters look perfect on the car, match 100%

congrats..
Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 PM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome and congrats on a beautiful car! You've got the Aerokit front bumper. That would account for the low clearance in/out of driveways. Many of us are resigned to buying one (or more) extra plastic lips. They do get cracked.

Two of the things you mentioned: passenger window one-touch close, and the trunk opening at seemingly random are fixable with an aftermarket electronic product called remoteKEY from Mods4cars.

It's a black box that wires into the fuse panel by the driver's side left foot, and it adds some features, such as:
- passenger side window one-touch close from any position
- delaying unlocking the trunk until the key is pressed for more than 3 (or 5?) seconds
- positive horn beeps on remote key lock
and some other features that I can't recall right now.

Here's a link to the documentation ... remoteKEY at http://www.wit-usa.com
Old 11-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by rijowysock
car looks amazing, those lobsters look perfect on the car, match 100%
Thanks, but what are the "lobsters"?
Old 11-08-2009, 10:53 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the nickname for the wheels you have is the "lobster forks" because of the way the spokes look as they go to the outside of the rim
Old 11-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by ezinternet
Welcome and congrats on a beautiful car! You've got the Aerokit front bumper. That would account for the low clearance in/out of driveways. Many of us are resigned to buying one (or more) extra plastic lips. They do get cracked.
Thanks! Are these "plastic lips" a stock Porsche part, and what do they cost?

Two of the things you mentioned: passenger window one-touch close, and the trunk opening at seemingly random are fixable with an aftermarket electronic product called remoteKEY from Mods4cars.
The passenger window isn't a big deal really, now that I know it's supposed to operate that way. But the trunk opening at random is something I'd rather get taken care of under warranty if possible.

Ron
Old 11-08-2009, 10:55 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler358
Thanks, but what are the "lobsters"?
The rims on your car are commonly known as the "lobsters".

See the post above, beat me to it and a better explanation.

I will say they look great in black on your car.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:27 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

trunk sounds like electrostatic problem with the solenoid? dealer should be able to fix easy.

Quick Reply: My 1st Porsche, a '07 911 - some questions...