Sponsored by:

Sun Visors - How to remove

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:03 AM
EvilBoffin
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nfldcoffee
...Just spray a small amount water on sunvisor and sticky side of cover-up decals and you can slide around the cover-up until you have it perfectly placed.
This is exactly the method used by professionals when installing stickers on exterior painted surfaces, such as the factory GT3 RS decals on the side panels of the new 911 models, big sponsor stickers on race cars, etc. I have used this method myself MANY times when applying temporary, low-tack vinyl racing numbers to the paint on my cars that I autocross & run at track days. It really does work.

As nfldcoffee described above - make sure to fully coat BOTH the target surface area and the sticker.

An additional suggestion would be to add just a bit of window cleaner or mild soap to the water to break up the water's surface tension, allowing it to sheet better and coat more evenly with less water. This solution will also provide even more 'slipperiness' to the textured plastic surface, allowing you to move the sticker around very easily. It may sound like this would ruin the adhesive on the stickers, but when it dries, the adhesive will be just as permanent as ever.

You can apply this solution either via sprayer as described above, or just swab it on with a very saturated sponge if you're afraid of getting overspray on your interior leather.

Once you get the stickers in place, you can then gently squeegee out the water and any bubbles that were left behind using the edge of a credit card or small body filler spatula. Just make sure the card edge is very smooth and even, or it could scratch your stickers or visor surface.

Hope that helps... I'm considering these 'Cover-up' stickers for the visors in my '07 C2S, so please post some pics of your completed installation.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:37 AM
baileybonds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also ordered and received the e-bay cover cup decals today (for both sides of each flap). I went down to my office parking garage during lunch and applied them (was even in a not so well lit area) -- its actually easier than I expected and took me a total of 15 minutes. I did not remove either flap -- no need. I did have to reapply one of the mirror covers slightly, but only because I'm ****. If you do mess up, you will discover the decals aren't as delicate as the instructions lead you to believe -- just pull and re-apply and you'll be good. They look great BTW and am glad I got them.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Ok I did both sides of my visors last evening, 20 minute job tops.
The visors pulled out and off their stalks with a firm tug.

Next up I placed enough paper towel to cover the decal on the non lighted side and doused with "Goof-Off" Let it sit for 30 seconds and the decals literally wiped off, that easy! A few rubs and all residue was gone. The visor looks a bit wavy at this stage, don't panic.
Next up I applied the eBay cover ups to the lighted side - easy, just follow the sellers instructions, clean, spray and stick, 1, 2, 3.
Then I applied some vinyl detailing product mainly to remove that "Goof-Off" smell.
I then pushed the visors back onto their stalks and was careful not to poke my eye out when climbing back into the car.
By the morning the wavy-ness of the visors was gone and the vinyl was taut.
Visors look great.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:53 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

OK, for those of you who don't want to pull of the visors from the rods, here are some photos illustrating the method described by stevepow. First wedge a thin trim tool between the cover plate and the visor mount. Pry gently and this cover plate will pop off and slide down the rod out of the way. It's held in place by four clips. This exposes the torx-25 screw which you then remove.

A slot in the mount allows access to a bendable clip which you depress with a flat blade screwdriver. With this depressed, pull the side of the mount closest to the window towards you. This rotates the mount about the fixed clip opposite the one you depressed. The visors are now free to mod as you wish.

In my case, I bought leather visors without the stickers along with the leather dome lamp cover. If I ever sell the car, the original parts can be reinstalled.
Attached Images      
Old 11-29-2009, 05:13 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you. Excellent photos.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:31 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
Thank you. Excellent photos.
Glad to help! Took awhile to get the replacement visors, hence the delay.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Looks great, thanks for the pics! BTW, how hard was it to install the leather dome light cover?
Old 11-30-2009, 09:21 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ucube
Looks great, thanks for the pics! BTW, how hard was it to install the leather dome light cover?
Not that hard, but took a bit longer than the sunvisors. The homelink buttons pop out easily, but the sun roof button took a bit of work to remove from the old assembly without breaking the tabs holding it in place. The dome lamp assembly is easy to remove once you have the dome cover loose and can access the retention clips from the backside. The dome cover is held in place with 2 torx screws under the homelink buttons, plus four tabs (two at the front and two at the side. See photos below for the locations.
Attached Images   
Old 11-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the detailed illustration. That'll come in handy when I do mine. The leather bits make quite a difference to the interior look and feel.

Last edited by Ucube; 11-30-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
By the morning the wavy-ness of the visors was gone and the vinyl was taut.
Visors look great.
Picture of my de-decaled visor, looks good - for a vinyl visor. Remember all I used was Goof-off and in 30 seconds they were gonzo. Those leather visors look really good, probably worth the price. In a black and dark interior I'm not sure they would stand out like those beige items.

Excuse the iPhone picture quality.
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2009, 09:27 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Where did yo get your leather visors and cover. They look great!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:46 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Originally Posted by helispud
Where did yo get your leather visors and cover. They look great!
Suncoast Porsche
Old 12-02-2009, 01:33 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ahhhh - the leather looks great. That's the way to go. Do both mirrors have the vanity lights? The description on Suncoast site makes it sound like it may only be one.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:40 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Originally Posted by stevepow
Ahhhh - the leather looks great. That's the way to go. Do both mirrors have the vanity lights? The description on Suncoast site makes it sound like it may only be one.
Both mirrors have vanity lights. With your initial guidance, the installation was a snap.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:25 PM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made a few set of the covers a couple years ago.

Put them back up on ebay if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMESELX%3AIT

Quick Reply: Sun Visors - How to remove