Sponsored by:

Extended Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:05 AM
pt767
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranties

My non certified car's warranty is up next year. Thus far, the car has needed nothing. I plan on keeping the car until I get the itch to get a cab. I know the warranty biz has been turned upside down like most businesses. Who's still in business & what can you expect to pay for a policy? I'm not an extended warranty guy but w' the Pcar, it might be cheap insurance. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:37 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I purchased an Easy care gold, which included a tire and wheel warranty, from my dealer.
That was with my new 09..I wanted immediate Tire and Wheel coverage, the rest of the car will be covered after Porsche warranty expires.
Cost about $2600 on a new car, cost and coverage depends on mileage on used car.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Dave in Oregon
Instructor

I bought the Easy Care extended warranty on my 2001 Boxster S when it was new. Never had an issue with the car and sold the car last month with 42,000 miles. In retrospect the $2,000 price of the warranty was a waste of $$$$. I will take my chances on my Porsches in the future. Just purchased a 2007 C4S sans extended warranty that had 9500 miles on it with NO CPO and very comfortable with the purchase. My Porsches are used as recreational vehicles that are not used in wintertime and my annual mileage currently is less than 5,000 miles so that is a consideration.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:22 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I will take my chances too...if by the four years nothing has happened and the car is in good running order..the odds are in your favor.
abe
Old 10-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

I've had extended warranties on every car I've owned in the last 20 years, and in every case I got back at least double the cost in covered repairs. German cars especially, not only Porsche, are expensive to fix. Even without the spectre of a catastrophic engine failure, I would not keep my '05 C2 a minute without a warranty. $2-3K is one or two relatively minor repairs. OTOH when I was car shopping I looked at a 2000 C2 at a dealer and they wanted $5600 for a 4-yr Fidelity warranty. The dealer was owned by the same corporation that owns Fidelity. I'm not sure if the OPD where I got my '05 sells warranties to dovetail with the expiration of CPO, but I will check them out. It pays to comparison shop, as with anything.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Im going to buy my extended warranty from Champion....1600.00 for 3 years bumper to bumper. Its this price cause my mileage is low (15,500). Seems like a safe bet.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:59 PM
bradyb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine from Fidelity through a local SF Bay Area dealer. There are some real horror stories about Fidelity (and others underwritten by them) but 3 of the local dealers I went to offered these so I gambled. Finally negotiated a 7/70 for $2500, which seems pretty good, considering 1 of the dealers wanted $3600 for 4/40.

No way I'll hit the 70K mileage limit and my only fear is to have paid for this and then have something big go wrong that they won't pay for. It's a scam but so is any type of insurance "until you need it" as they just love to say.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by points
Im going to buy my extended warranty from Champion....1600.00 for 3 years bumper to bumper. Its this price cause my mileage is low (15,500). Seems like a safe bet.
Yours is still under factory warranty, right? Mine is under CPO warranty, until early 2011. I'll have to ask at Champion if they have extended warranties after my CPO expires.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Yours is still under factory warranty, right? Mine is under CPO warranty, until early 2011. I'll have to ask at Champion if they have extended warranties after my CPO expires.
Warranty expires in May 2010...and yes champion is handling the paperwork. After all they are gonna be the ones that fix anything.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:01 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...Seems like a safe bet...
+1. Smart move and a nice price, too.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Warranty expires in May 2010...and yes champion is handling the paperwork. After all they are gonna be the ones that fix anything.
Thanks, I'll inquire the next time I'm there. The best warranties exist for immediately after factory warranty expiration, like yours. Mine's an '05 and the factory warranty ran out last January, a month before I bought it, and is on CPO until Feb 2011. I'm wanting to extend it as many years as I can.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:01 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Every one on this board needs to read the book Don't Get Taken Every Time by Remar Sutton. Especially when it comes to extended warranties and other high profit add ons. The long and the short of it that you don't want to buy an extended warranty from the dealer. These can be purchased for significantly less money outside of the dealership. You can visit www.dontgettakeneverytime.com
Old 10-29-2009, 07:38 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The long and the short of it that you don't want to buy an extended warranty from the dealer.
The problem in California is that for the most part, you can't buy one from anyone BUT a dealer. Apparently this prohibition protects us from scammy extended warranty peddlers.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:45 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Not all extended warraty peddlers are scammy. USFidelis is one that is. Nice to know that your state government is protecting you so well from scammers when many car dealers are the worst offenders. They mark up an extended warranty many times by at least 100% over what it costs them. I don't know about you but I don't like getting ripped off like that. I work too hard for my money.

Complete your due diligence for your extended warranty and good luck with your purchase.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:19 PM
CPais
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to warranties. They all promise you that they are covering everything, will pay for everything, etc. They don't really want to pay for anything and when the part that is broken is covered, there is usually a limit on what they will pay out anyway. Or they consider every component a different repair and charge separate deductibles, or they will only cover used parts, they really suck.

There are some that are really good and take care of everything but you really do pay a lot of money for that. But, if you have one of these cars and are **** about service then you will quickly get your moneys worth.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranties