Sponsored by:

Oddball GT3 Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:29 AM
mdwac
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oddball GT3 Question

Interested in your collective wisdom.....realize this might be a crazy idea.

i have owned in the recent past a 996C4S, 997.1C2S, 997TT. I then have been gone from P-Cars (to F-Car) for the last 12 months and want back.

So I am stuck dead in the middle between a 997C2S.2 (loved the rwd in the past, the lightness of the car) or the new TT (like the power, but last version was a little disconnected and GT like, also like the exclusivity).

Was thinking about a GT3....the problem is this is my daily driver and I head into a couple of conservative business environments. That wing is way too big. But it might have a bit more power, the nimbleness, and the uniqueness.

How stupid (and costly) would it be to take out the GT3 wing and put the C2S real in there? I really just commute in the car and then drive some country roads (never above 100)...is changing the wing really unsafe? Really? Upon sale or real track time (which I no longer do)..could you swap back?

Open to all thoughts!

Thanks
Old 10-25-2009, 01:49 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Do not mutilate a GT3. The 997.2S on the street is a better choice and the perf diff is not noticeable (on the street).
Old 10-25-2009, 07:04 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

I had a 997 GT3 and now for the last 9 months own and drive a 992.2 C2S with PDK. The new Carrera S is a great car that is enjoyable on the street yet can also be at home on the track. Read the various posts but PDK is the future and the imnprovement in the '09 and newer C2 and C2S are more than the transmission. The new engine is outstanding, the overall handling is improved and the complete package is very very close to a '07-08 GT3.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with ADias. You'll be a lot happier with a 997.2 C2S than a GT3 if you never track the car. The benefits of a GT3 over a C2S are difficult to discern on the street, and the shortcomings of a GT3 over a C2S on the street are myriad.

That said -- I think you may be overstating how much other people notice the cosmetic differences between a C2S and a GT3. To non-enthusiasts, they're both just "Porsches." The wing doesn't really help or harm your situation and a flashy vs understaded color is going to have a lot more influence over the reaction you get than the aero bodywork does.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:44 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking for myself, when I knew very little about Porsches, by this time I owned a 996 C4 Conv., I thought that the wing of the GT3 was too pronounced and couldn't understand the reasoning of having such a large wing. In my past opinion, the large wing detracted from the beautiful lines of the 911, and believed that it actually made the car look ugly. As my knowledge and driving ability increased my opinion changed. I agree with your initial assessment that the GT3 wing draws more attention. Hence, as a daily driver and the awareness of not wanting to draw too much attention I would opt for the C2S. The C2S is much more comfortable for every day driving and let's be honest, the car is extremely capable and you will not be able to reach it's limits on the roads. The GT3 can be used as a daily driver but it really displays its character when the car is in its environment, that is the track. The C2S will not disappoint you.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 223 Posts

If you're worried about attracting attention and want to be conservative, do what I did and buy an Orange turbo. Very subtle car.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:33 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

…and if not Orange, perhaps Speed Yellow will do the trick!

Trending Topics

Old 10-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Porsche has wrestled with the rear wing issue since the 1970s when they discovered how damn effective it is. It certainly violated the simple lines of hte 911 that Butzi had worked so hard to perfect. But you couldn't overlook the fact that a 911 body looks, in profile, like the wing of an aircraft. As such, it generates lift. Initially, only those with the higher capable turbo cars wound up with them, so they weren't everywhere and in your face. But in time everyone learned that above about 80 miles an hour, the wing made a substantial difference. How could Porsche handle keeping the shape everyone loves, with the aerodynamic aid that is so necessary? One of my previous cars had a smaller turbo tail on it (a Carrera RSR tail) which didn't look THAT big, and so I could deal with it. But it still got a lot of attention, as these cars were still relatively rare. I applaud Porsche in their efforts on the dynamic tails. You get the best of both worlds. You can look like you're on a Sunday drive, but when you need the downforce, it kicks in without your intervention. I highly recommend against modifying the GT3 tail just because of the looks of it. It's that size for a specific reason. If the tail is such a big deal for you, get a Carrera S. (That's why Porsche offers so many models). The GT3 is really a lot of car for daily driving. It has a very heavy clutch feel to it that will just wear you out over time. It's a hell of a car, but it's not for everyone. Nor should it be. If you are forced to be conservative because of your business, then stay conventional with a Carrera. When you want something that's not conservative, go up a notch. What about the 997 Turbo tail? Less in your face?
Old 10-25-2009, 04:11 PM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel it is the best looking wing they have had for a while. Just fell in love with the GT3 while watching the NatGeo factory show.

If you were actually going to drive that car as it should be driven, you would need that wing! At 170mph in my C4S on the Autobahn, I found myself saying wish I had a nice big wing as the front became a little too light for comfort!
Old 10-25-2009, 04:16 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by tkids
... At 170mph in my C4S on the Autobahn, I found myself saying wish I had a nice big wing as the front became a little too light for comfort!
It appears that you actually needed a more aggressive front splitter to increase downforce in the front. A bigger wing would actually exacerbate the front lift you felt... Aero requires front/rear balance.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

...and that's why I had all my heavy luggage in the front compartment at 180... ;-) An old Corvair Monza trick!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

C2S with a powerkit

close to GT3 HP
no big wings
excellent daily driver
Old 10-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Holli82
C2S with a powerkit

close to GT3 HP
no big wings
excellent daily driver
Concur! I'm saving up for mine!
Old 10-25-2009, 09:03 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Holli82
C2S with a powerkit

close to GT3 HP
no big wings
excellent daily driver
i was about to make a post about this yesterday, i dont get the powerkit.. just way too much money for the small amount of gain.. i optioned out a c2S with this and is was only 5k short of a Gt3 with similar options.. why would anyone choose a c2S over a Gt3 was my question.... only difference to me is your forced to get a 6speed in the GT3 and you dont have a back seat... but you get so much more.. 435 instead of 408hp, awesome monolug wheels, larger brakes stock, better handling, etc etc etc etc etc etc.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i was about to make a post about this yesterday, i dont get the powerkit.. just way too much money for the small amount of gain.. i optioned out a c2S with this and is was only 5k short of a Gt3 with similar options.. why would anyone choose a c2S over a Gt3 was my question.... only difference to me is your forced to get a 6speed in the GT3 and you dont have a back seat... but you get so much more.. 435 instead of 408hp, awesome monolug wheels, larger brakes stock, better handling, etc etc etc etc etc etc.
When I bought my 997 in 05 there was no GT3 or turbo so it was an easy decision for me to get a powerkit. Now, both GT3 and turbos are available so they should be considered at this price-point.

Now if you want a normally aspirated car with a back seat, PDK, and no wings or side air intakes, that is used primarily daily driving( I'm not in to changing the lip on my front spoiler periodically), I think the powerkit offers a great alternative. May not work for you, but that's what I like about Porsche...you get what you want ....I get what I want.

Quick Reply: Oddball GT3 Question