Oddball GT3 Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:15 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mdwac
Interested in your collective wisdom.....realize this might be a crazy idea.

i have owned in the recent past a 996C4S, 997.1C2S, 997TT. I then have been gone from P-Cars (to F-Car) for the last 12 months and want back.

So I am stuck dead in the middle between a 997C2S.2 (loved the rwd in the past, the lightness of the car) or the new TT (like the power, but last version was a little disconnected and GT like, also like the exclusivity).

Was thinking about a GT3....the problem is this is my daily driver and I head into a couple of conservative business environments. That wing is way too big. But it might have a bit more power, the nimbleness, and the uniqueness.

How stupid (and costly) would it be to take out the GT3 wing and put the C2S real in there? I really just commute in the car and then drive some country roads (never above 100)...is changing the wing really unsafe? Really? Upon sale or real track time (which I no longer do)..could you swap back?

Open to all thoughts!

Thanks
Changing out a rear deck lid is not a big deal, but the problem you will get into with the GT3 is that the air intake is integrated with the deck lid in terms of design. I think you would have to either modify the C2S decklid, or the GT3 intake to make it work. I concur with the other comments about getting a turbo or a C2s with power kit instead of a GT3. GT3 does not make a great DD IMHO.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:31 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
GT3 does not make a great DD IMHO.
I beg to differ! Most involving DD I've ever had...no hair shirt needed.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
I beg to differ! Most involving DD I've ever had...no hair shirt needed.
Depends on where you live, I guess. There are a lot of places I simply can't drive to since trading my C2S in for the GT3. The lower ground clearance in front and in back is significant. Heck, I can't even get in my own driveway without putting boards down.

I think I'd be better off in Austin, but living in Houston it can be quite a sacrifice.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Objectively a C2S is a better all-round daily driver than a GT3 but that neglects the subjective side. The GT3 is a more involving drive than a C2S or any other 997 variant (except possibly a GT2, which I haven't driven). You'll feel more connected with the road and the car in the GT3, if you like that sort of thing.

However, you will make some compromises in daily driving with the GT3, the biggest one being the very low front spoiler lip. You will eventually scrape the lip. It's not a question of "if" but rather "when". The GT3 is also much louder and stiffer riding, although the PASM suspension in its "normal" setting does a very good job of filtering out the sharp edges of bumps. All that being said, I've been using my GT3 on the streets as much as weather permits with no regrets.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:07 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

+1... what John said!!

Old 10-27-2009, 12:43 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
However, you will make some compromises in daily driving with the GT3, the biggest one being the very low front spoiler lip. You will eventually scrape the lip. It's not a question of "if" but rather "when".
Mine does not scrape any more than my 996 did (though the latter was lowered with H&R springs, admittedly). It's really not an issue, at least here in the flatlands...just have to take driveways, etc. at an angle.

Quick Reply: Oddball GT3 Question