Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's missing from my upgrade list, '06 C2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:47 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a beautiful car already, not sure it needs anything more. It is what it is, so I wouldn't change things like brakes from black to red calipers, nor put an "S" on the back (it's not an S).

What I would do is think about changing the wheels for something more unique, lighter weight (for better performance), and slight modification to your exhaust. Not sure why you are waiting to 2011 for warranty to expire to touch the exhaust. I know it's been debated here, but my 2 dealers both install aftermarket exhausts and back them up with warranty service. They know changing headers, cats, and mufflers can in no way impact the engine or it's warranty. My dealer put on X51 headers, AWE 200 cell cats and retained the OEM mufflers for a beautiful sound and better performance.

I picture your car with a set of BBS RSGT 19s and a beautiful deep tone from Porsche X51 headers and low restriction cats. Just the right balance of look and sound.

Me, I'd use the money where I'm going to realize some benefit other than aesthetics. The wheels will look great and they will lower your unsprung rotational mass, resulting in quicker acceleration and braking. Exhaust you will enjoy daily and receive some performance benefit from. As for the other little things like changing the color of a seat back, color of vents - question is why? The car already has nice vents and seat backs, why change it?
Old 11-30-2009, 07:12 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry about the wheels - 19 classics are one of my favs .

The clear bra is a wonderful addition especially to a paint to sample vehicle. The thought of matching a bumper or a hood to me would cause me personally to worry.

I use to sell them - so I've spent lots of time around hundreds of 911's. - All the best cars especially with age - had the clear bras. Now the clear bra didn't look great - but we remove the clear bra - treat the vehicle properly and then reapply a new clear bra is much cheaper than slinging paint and having pitted surfaces.

- I just started considering a 997 again- it is actually the first 911 I sold and then traded and sold it again to a customer/friend-who keeps cars mint- Slate Grey/Natural Grey Full Leather (has 19 classics). I hadn't been considering the 3.6 - really just considering a GT3 or Turbo - but this car is cherry and after a good year in the market maybe a 3.6 would look better especially since I don't buy new and this is a cherry car. MSRP $86k when base was $71-72k.

-Shark Werks looks like they have some very nice upgrades. The "Y" application. - software - air intake kit. - That should open up the power. I also liked the Light Weight Fly Wheel (LWFW) - headers, exhaust.

After driving the sickest turbos that I upgraded(996) - 550 hp ?556 (lb ft) - I'd have to dive in and unleash the stock engine.

Last edited by German_Saint; 11-30-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:32 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Please don't put a "s" on a non- S vehicle. Even with a 3.8 engine if you swapped. It's not an S - you have a wonderful vehicle and it is a Carrera.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

Hey Ron, the painting my calipers red, engine bore, and putting an S on the back - all tongue in cheek
Your suggestion of lightweight wheels, maybe the new Boxster Spyder 19's, and a deeper exhaust note, very cool. Funny but I always think of BBS wheels as even better than stock, never fashionable, but always in style.
I do think in time all do all three exhaust mods, header, cats and mufflers.
As for aesthetics my cabin is full of black and carbon and I need something to brighten the place up. I saw a Seinfeld 993 with Riviera painted seat backs, looked da bomb. Who knows?

German_Saint, we await in eager anticipation of your posted pictures
Old 11-30-2009, 07:45 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I'm a function over form kind of guy. Anything I pay money for has to improve the performance / efficiency of my Porsche. So things like 21 lbs wheels vs. 29 lb stockers makes a big difference to me and the side benefit is they look great and make the car more unique. All of my Porsches have come from the factory with no badge - don't need the extra 3 ounces hanging off the back Just a trap for wax, bugs, leaves, etc. Don't care if the guy behind me can see if I'm driving a base car, S, GT3, etc. Plus, all of my cars end up being unique based on mods.

I think the best $3k I spent on my 1st 997S was X51 headers, AWE cats, and Softronic. Boy, did that waken the car up. Great tone, improved response and performance (proven out on the track by telemetry data).

OZ Ultras are about $1800 for a set of 4 in 19". Light and nice looking...
Old 11-30-2009, 10:18 PM
chuck v
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

sell the sport seats, get sport bucket seats unless you can not fit in them. back up plan RECARO seats.

chuck
Old 11-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck v
sell the sport seats, get sport bucket seats unless you can not fit in them. back up plan RECARO seats.

chuck
Sport buckets fit like a glove and look way cool, BUT at nearly $8k ain't gonna happen.com
At least my sport seats have heat.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:22 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

No need for Sport Buckets unless you are tracking a lot. I just picked up a set, a tequpment 997 bar, Shroth Profi-2 belts, and a Sharkwerks FE. I figured at this point this car is a keeper. If only a street car or partial DE car, I'd leave the heated Sport Seats in. But, with 10-12 events a year, students along for rides, etc. I should have shells w/ 6-point belts.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:39 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Bruce -

Should have it in the garage sunday.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:20 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Good looking 911! I'd like to see an Aerokit on that car, maybe a Ruf wing, something a little more wild would go well with that color.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:15 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

the air vent slats and seat backs would look HOT!

that would be a perfect "splash" of color on the interior imo. I had to scroll back and see the rear center console. ---sweet---- I think the exterior color matched with some carbon is a great combo.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:33 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I vote for Clear Bra. I got em on my C4S, and if installed right you can never tell it's there and it's protected me from stone chips and possible scratches. Make sure you get the proper 3M stuff, not Chinese crap stuff (they turn yellow).
Old 12-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
I vote for Clear Bra. I got em on my C4S, and if installed right you can never tell it's there and it's protected me from stone chips and possible scratches. Make sure you get the proper 3M stuff, not Chinese crap stuff (they turn yellow).
Indeed I've resigned myself to spending $700 on a Clear Bra, I'll do it in the new year and certainly before tracking this car. Probably worth it considering it's the unique paint that makes my car special.
Maybe I should be doing a full vehicle rap but I ain't got that kinda $$$ spend.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Default Upgrade list, closer to being complete.

Installed my "gundo" hacked mufflers yesterday. They were fab'd by Gemballa. Had them installed yesterday. At first I was underwhelmed but as I have driven the car over the past day the tone of the exhaust note has changed to more of a growl. Sounds great and is certainly not over the top.

The mods consist of the two smaller diameter tubes. Second picture shows "hole" for new muffler.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: What's missing from my upgrade list, '06 C2?