Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior A-pillar trim removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009 | 10:41 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Default Interior A-pillar trim removal

Has anyone removed the plastic trim that runs up the A-pillar and across the top of the door to the rear window? I have something loose rattling around inside mine right beside my left ear, but don't know how to remove the trim to see what it is. Will likely take it to dealer to fix, but if not too hard to remove, I'd rather do it myself than spend the time to leave it with dealer.
Old 10-16-2009 | 10:31 AM
TooSixy
Racer

Could it be the seat belt holder that causes the rattle? I've read many posts on this rattle.
Old 10-16-2009 | 11:38 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

No, it is definitely something loose that is moving inside the channel. It rolls/slides forward under hard braking, and backwards under hard acceleration.
Old 10-16-2009 | 12:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

You have a Targa, right? I suspect things are entirely different inside there!
Old 10-16-2009 | 12:41 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You have a Targa, right? I suspect things are entirely different inside there!
Possibly, although there is a separate trim piece beside this one that covers the sunshade track etc. But given the potential complexity, I'll likely just let the dealer check it out to avoid the nightmare of something going wrong if I try it.
Old 10-16-2009 | 05:01 PM
Minok
Drifting

Whatever it is, its likely something that would need to be replaced in any case, as its probably broken, and that would require a dealer visit. The odds of something simple that can snap back in or a loose screw I'd think was pretty remote.
Old 10-17-2009 | 01:43 AM
Jiff
7th Gear

I am experiencing a similar noise in my 997-2. It is behind my left ear, sounds like it comes from the pillar. Seems to occur as the car flexes going over bumps, braking on uneven pavement, etc. Could be plastic rubbing plastic, but it is an odd "box springy" type sound. It occurs quite often, and is just loud enough to be annoying. Would love to hear more about your mystery noise, what it might be, and how it might be fixed.
Old 10-17-2009 | 03:19 AM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

I think I have seen this removal with some of the radar detector installs. You may find it in a V1 install search?
Old 12-10-2010 | 03:53 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

I just realized that I never closed this subject a year ago. I had the dealer remove the trim piece (A-pillar trim including portion along top of driver's window). It turned out there were little pop-rivet pieces sliding around in there. It wasn't obvious where they came from, as nothing seemed amiss in the various visible pieces in there. I made the subsequent buyer of my car aware of it in case there were any further developments.

Quick Reply: Interior A-pillar trim removal