Sponsored by:

Whistling wind noise 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I noticed the whistle from the 997.1 mirrors the first time I went out on a test drive in a cab. It drove me nuts. The salesman didn't hear it. Perhaps it was only on my side. My car finally developed that same noise during the aging of the car. I think it could have been brought about by a stone striking the mirror housing, causing the seal to change just enough. They 'fixed' it with something like GE Silicon, which is like me using duct tape to fix something on the Space Shuttle. Total BS. I would hope that they fixed the inherent design issue with the .2 mirrors.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:44 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Update... dealer reckons that the noise is coming from the mirror housing and they have ordered a new one. Lets see if that does it. Dan, I'm not certain that Porsche fixed the issue with the .2 mirrors.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:12 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Update... dealer reckons that the noise is coming from the mirror housing and they have ordered a new one. Lets see if that does it. Dan, I'm not certain that Porsche fixed the issue with the .2 mirrors.
nice of dealer, thankfully i dont have the whistle like my 997.1 it was annoying.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:24 PM
kungfufishing
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Have this on my car too. My new C4 has been a bit of a quandary, in that I have owned it for one month and have already had a rattling dash speaker, two rattling grilles in the dash, and a rattling sunroof replaced. I haven't even started on the mirror whistle, but I certainly do have it. The quandary part is that I absolutely love driving the car and really can't imagine trading it for anything save a faster 911 variant. My dealer (Cooper, Tulsa) has been great about fixing everything - the technicians do seem genuinely interested in getting the car right which is reassuring.

I am interested to hear whether your mirror whistle is fixable - I wonder if this has anything to do with the aerodynamics of the slightly wider vehicles.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Renos
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
I've just read your post. How was the issue resolved?

I had a similar problem on the left side of the car some months ago. We removed the triangular trim on the inside of the mirror to see if everything looked OK. One of the screws holding the mirror assembly to the door was not tight enough. It was tightened and whistle was gone forever.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

NO whistle on my 997.2 There is another possibility., The circuit which lowers the windows when you open the door may be confused and not closing them all the way when you close the door. Had that on an my 996. Was a fast fix.

Quick Reply: Whistling wind noise 997.2