Sponsored by:

Vast amounts of black soot from 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:44 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

2 days and 40 miles after cleaning..

notice the soot being blown up on bumper ;-)

Old 10-18-2009, 10:59 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine has it as well, not too dramatic, but it shows on the exhaust tips

Absolutely all normal with the engine, temperature, etc., but strange...
Old 10-19-2009, 12:55 AM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definitely have more soot than mine. I can go couple weeks average 200-300 miles, not washing car and still have less soot. I hope you find a solution for it.

John
Old 10-19-2009, 01:08 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
You definitely have more soot than mine. I can go couple weeks average 200-300 miles, not washing car and still have less soot. I hope you find a solution for it.

John
i daily drive it, putting 4000+ miles on within 60 days.. so the soot add's up quickly..
Old 10-19-2009, 01:20 AM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i daily drive it, putting 4000+ miles on within 60 days.. so the soot add's up quickly..
OT, I remember you did a muffler hack in your 997.2 Do you have any pictures? How does it sound close to PSE?

John
Old 10-19-2009, 02:05 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
OT, I remember you did a muffler hack in your 997.2 Do you have any pictures? How does it sound close to PSE?

John
vid i did earlier.. (no image cause i was just trying to grab the sound.. if i do just sound on the iphone youtube wont upload it..) this is up to around 4k rpm.. thats where it starts to make some noise... engine was cold so i didnt rev higher.. ill try and do another video to show sound more thru the rpms'... it sounds great, side hacked and fabspeed center bypass really added a euro higher pitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eb8xh4iQ10

i keep trying to take a better sound clip, but everytime i do a full rev clip the wind noise sounds worse... and everytime i get a good one i did "audio only" via the memo recorder on phone and youtube wont upload it..

as far as sound, it takes the best parts from PSE and add's some (think pse with the tube pulled off, so you get that nice burble and the more euro higher pitch)... add the fabspeed center bypass and it made it even louder above 3500/3700 rpms... i really love the sound of the combo i have.. you start it and its louder than usual.. a nice growl.. u can drive around in auto minding your business and not pissing anyone off.. when i have a headache i dont mind it because no drone and not loud unless u get on it.. not even any drone in 7th when i was worried about... you get on it and it sounds sexy as can be.. better than my similar hacked 997.1.... put it in manual mode and decel without downshifting and it spits, and burbles out the back which i find sexy...

ull notice in sound clip about it pops after 1st on accel while cold.. its just all around awesome..

ill try and get more vid's... just gotta figure out how to eliminate wind noise but still get sound..
Old 10-19-2009, 10:41 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I would like to know oil usage and soot as relates to 3.6 vs 3.8 engines?
Is there any difference?
Old 10-19-2009, 05:29 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by rijowysock
2 days and 40 miles after cleaning..

notice the soot being blown up on bumper ;-)
You definitely have more soot than I do. Can certainly understand your aggravation. Will be very curious why this is happening. Sure looks like unburnt fuel to me. Not oil.

This is a great opportunity for one of the chip tuner folks to weigh in with what they have seen- as it would show up in the OE air/fuel ratio maps they reprogram. Are the stock maps super rich? When? Be interesting to see how much the ratio goes past stoichiometric and under what driving conditions.

And if it does, why did the factory make it so rich??? Help cancel out detonation due to the high compression ratios? (a richer mixture will support higher compression ratios as it will dampen detonation) If so, those folks running higher octane would see less soot and those running lower octane more soot.

Rijo- what octane gas do you use? 91? Would be interesting to run a poll by octane used and see if there is a correlation to soot.

I have the awesome good luck to have a nearby station that carries 100 octane unleaded at the pump, and my car runs so much more crisply than using the west coast 91 octane ****-for-gas. Not much soot either.

Conundrum: I don't see how the darn cars pass emissions testing and get such such good gas mileage if it is a A/F richness problem.
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2009, 05:52 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by savyboy
You definitely have more soot than I do. Can certainly understand your aggravation. Will be very curious why this is happening. Sure looks like unburnt fuel to me. Not oil.

This is a great opportunity for one of the chip tuner folks to weigh in with what they have seen- as it would show up in the OE air/fuel ratio maps they reprogram. Are the stock maps super rich? When? Be interesting to see how much the ratio goes past stoichiometric and under what driving conditions.

And if it does, why did the factory make it so rich??? Help cancel out detonation due to the high compression ratios? (a richer mixture will support higher compression ratios as it will dampen detonation) If so, those folks running higher octane would see less soot and those running lower octane more soot.

Rijo- what octane gas do you use? 91? Would be interesting to run a poll by octane used and see if there is a correlation to soot.

I have the awesome good luck to have a nearby station that carries 100 octane unleaded at the pump, and my car runs so much more crisply than using the west coast 91 octane ****-for-gas. Not much soot either.

Conundrum: I don't see how the darn cars pass emissions testing and get such such good gas mileage if it is a A/F richness problem.
i put 93..

7.65/gal=ouch!
Old 10-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Jim (CIA PCA region)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 2.9 isn't DFI because

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
Soot appears to be common on most DFI engines from VW/Audi and BMW also.

The only non-DFI new Porsche is the base 2.9 cayman/boxter.
I recently read an online interview with a main porsche engineer. He said that although all the new 997/987's use the new engine block, they made the the 2.9to get the most out of it without DFI, purposefully. He never elaborated why.

I assume that they wanted the base 2.9's to be non-DFI to help distinguish the higher performance models more. But now I also wonder whether they decided to "play it safe" for other reasons in the base 987 models.
It wasn't worth the R&D time to do it to get the lower emissions, higher mileage, etc. This came from Paul Gagliardi of PCNA at this year's Parade.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Jim (CIA PCA region)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having the 100 available would be fabulous. However, $5.39/gallon for 93? I paid $2.85/gallon yesterday for VPower 93, without any ethanol.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:05 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just finished 3 days at PSDS and asked JB about the soot.

A common problem for the 997 DFI cars.
As well oil usage is up by 50%.

Non DFI tips would come back white after hot laps
Not so for the DFI engines.
Pic is 2.5 days of track use at PSDS
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2009, 12:46 AM
boolala
Race Car

What are you saying? That the exhaust gases are hotter in the non-DFI engine and thus the soot is burned off before it can accumulate?
Old 10-24-2009, 10:42 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Why would unburnt fuel be black?
Old 10-24-2009, 11:06 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Why would unburnt fuel be black?
Soot. Carbon. Look at a fireplace chimney.

Dry+Black= too rich mixture. Or unburnt fuel.

Quick Reply: Vast amounts of black soot from 997.2