Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road salt rust concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:57 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Daily driver year round, DE driver and.....concours winner...twice! If you wash and maintain these cars you will have a hard time telling a winter/salt driven car from a garage queen.
Oh, and I use ONR year round.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:40 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't they using liquid brine back there now instead of salt pellets? I hear that this liquid is far more invasive than the old dry salt flakes/pellets!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
What if I tell you that I did not drive it in the winter when I actually did? If I waxed it 4-6 times a year. If I washed the salt off twice a week. If I do not go to the dealer during winter months to avoid leaving a paper trail. If I do not include winter tires or winter floor mats in the sale. If I never post pics of my car here with snow all over it (I probably will anyway). And if neccessary even replace some of the parts that are rusted more than a summer car should. Then how are you gonna catch me in a lie?
P.S. Please avoid morality lessons in your comments. I sold my sole long time ago.
I'd have a PPI done and wouldn't KNOWINGLY buy a Porsche that has been winter driven.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:05 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stubenhocker
Aren't they using liquid brine back there now instead of salt pellets? I hear that this liquid is far more invasive than the old dry salt flakes/pellets!
Still pellets (more like pebbles but not smooth at all) here. Best of both worlds - get the "rock" chips while still pellets and then the brine as it dissolves into the ice to make that briny muck. Still, it all washes off. To me its a lot easier to deal with than that salt film that greeted me every morning when I lived in So Cal at the beach - and have seen in HI and FL as well.

Honestly my car has taken a beating in 44k miles of year-round driving (though never actually hit). But its too much fun to drive to leave it parked, and I'm not afraid to respray the hood or entire car, or to replace the windshield, if I need to. I haven't noticed a line of collectors ogling 997s, so I don't think I am taking a lot of financial risk by actually enjoying my car and treating it like a car. But I am having fun!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
Still pellets (more like pebbles but not smooth at all) here. Best of both worlds - get the "rock" chips while still pellets and then the brine as it dissolves into the ice to make that briny muck. Still, it all washes off. To me its a lot easier to deal with than that salt film that greeted me every morning when I lived in So Cal at the beach - and have seen in HI and FL as well.

Honestly my car has taken a beating in 44k miles of year-round driving (though never actually hit). But its too much fun to drive to leave it parked, and I'm not afraid to respray the hood or entire car, or to replace the windshield, if I need to. I haven't noticed a line of collectors ogling 997s, so I don't think I am taking a lot of financial risk by actually enjoying my car and treating it like a car. But I am having fun!
Agree entirely - my last 911 was a shrine. I had it ten years and the only one who benefitted from the care and agony in fussing over it - and next to no mileage with it was my brother in law who bought the blasted thing - and he really didn't pay a premium for it. Guaranteed my new Twin Turbo on the way will have a set of snows ordered from Tire Rack as well...not for really nasty winter days for sure but for a tour on a nice winter day, I am converted and say why not.!..oh and oddly enough, my Cayenne Turbo that I ended up putting a wack of mileage on it, enjoying for 4 years, I actually got out of my lease for the buy out amount in the end. Go figure.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:07 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

It's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned--these aren't 30-year-old cars and some winter driving isn't going to harm them...not allowing myself to drive my 911 for 4-5 months per year is a much larger concern than a little road salt or snow.

Quick Reply: Road salt rust concerns?