Sponsored by:

MY 09 Trunk Money Justification Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:22 AM
talkinghead
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
BTW on the last trunk money issue in July if your credit score was high enough you could get both 1.9% AND trunk money. I got both and the Porsche Credit person said I was the only one she had seen get both
Thanks old guy, hadn't heard that before, but it doen't hurt to ask!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 AM
tincanman99
Instructor

I think if you buy an 09 at this point it would have to have SIGNIFICANT discounts besides the 1.9% financing and the 10K. The reason I say this is that its going to take a HUGE beating on depreciation the second it rolls off the lot. Look at it the way an insurance company would look at it - its a Porsche but its still a car. If its got 100 miles on it or 15K miles on it, its still basically a year old. Ever notice how much low mileage does NOT buy you when buying used. A lot of the time it only adds like 1K in value to the car (993's and other collectibles excluded).

As for a finding a color you can live it looks to me like 90% of them are black or silver/gray. Not much deliberation if you can live with the color. The other colors like red, yellow, blue and even white are not the norm.

It all comes down to what you can live with but I think you can drive big discounts as cars are not exactly flying off the lot.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:02 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
BTW on the last trunk money issue in July if your credit score was high enough you could get both 1.9% AND trunk money. I got both and the Porsche Credit person said I was the only one she had seen get both
Probably because people with high scores buy their Porsches with cash.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:39 AM
pt767
Instructor

I inquired about a '09 S Cab at Downtown LA Porsche. This was the initial response from the dealer:

On our brand new car:

MSRP of the car is $114,135, our selling price: $99,135 with 5.9%
financing OR $106,267 with 1.9% financing.

I hope our aggressiveness would earn your business. I look forward to
hearing back from you. Thank you.

My initial thought was ...what should the interest rate have to do the price? The price is the price....financing is another thing. I've got a top tier credit rating (most probably would pay cash) & was floored that you pay more to take advantage of a program put forward by Porsche. I haven't pursued it any further but just some food for thought. As much as I'd like a Cab, I think I'll enjoy my '06 S coupe for another year & look for a nice 2nd hand '09 Cab PDK in a year or so.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:28 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Thats laughable at best. 7K more if you use the 1.9% financing? The financing is not through them but through PCNA. They want to make it both ways.

99135 @ 5.9% 48 months = 111535.2 is a profit of 12400 on just the loan.
106267 @ 1.9% 48 months = 110400 is a profit of 4133 on just the loan.

As they obviously can sell the car at 99135 than they are padding the price.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:19 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What's all this talk about trunk monkies have to do with Porsches?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer $$ is an either or w/the 1.9%, you can't get both.

Still that's pretty funny that they say they are being aggressive.

$8k off is NOT aggressive in this market.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by talkinghead
It would seem to me that in 2-4 yrs., the 2010 would still probably be worth $10k more. What do you think? Help me process this!
A few things to consider:

First of all, are there both new 2009 and a new 2010 models in stock that you are considering? With 2010 models trickling in, and remaining 2009s becoming scarce, you may not have the option of choosing between the two. If you order a 2010 tomorrow, it may not arrive for six months. And there might not be a 2009 available that you would be willing to live with; if you are not making a decision soon, there might not be any, so the point could be moot.

Assuming there are 2009 and 2010 models available to you now, consider that if both are driven 10k miles/year for the next four years, the 2009 will have averaged 8k miles per model year, the 2010 10k miles per model year. Since remaining warranty will be the same, and since there are no significant changes between the two model years, my guess is that the 2010 will not be worth significantly more. Perhaps $3-5k ($5k being ~10% of the value in four years).

Even if the 2010 is worth $10k more in four years, consider that buying the 2009 will have that $10k in your pocket/bank/invested for the next four years rather than tied up in the car. (Not to mention sales tax, license fees, any interest, etc. on the $10k).

And all of this assumes the only price difference between the two is the $10k "trunk money". As has been pointed out, the 2009 can be had near invoice, which could be an additional $5-10k savings (depending on the model, and any deals to be had on a 2010).
Old 09-28-2009, 05:49 PM
talkinghead
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Alan Smithee;6940516]A few things to consider:

First of all, are there both new 2009 and a new 2010 models in stock that you are considering? With 2010 models trickling in, and remaining 2009s becoming scarce, you may not have the option of choosing between the two. If you order a 2010 tomorrow, it may not arrive for six months. And there might not be a 2009 available that you would be willing to live with; if you are not making a decision soon, there might not be any, so the point could be moot.

Assuming there are 2009 and 2010 models available to you now, consider that if both are driven 10k miles/year for the next four years, the 2009 will have averaged 8k miles per model year, the 2010 10k miles per model year. Since remaining warranty will be the same, and since there are no significant changes between the two model years, my guess is that the 2010 will not be worth significantly more. Perhaps $3-5k ($5k being ~10% of the value in four years).

Even if the 2010 is worth $10k more in four years, consider that buying the 2009 will have that $10k in your pocket/bank/invested for the next four years rather than tied up in the car. (Not to mention sales tax, license fees, any interest, etc. on the $10k).

And all of this assumes the only price difference between the two is the $10k "trunk money". As has been pointed out, the 2009 can be had near invoice, which could be an additional $5-10k savings (depending on the model, and any deals to be had on a 2010).[/QUOTE]

Good points and analysis. Looks like the 09 is still the best option.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Bola964
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Good points and analysis. Looks like the 09 is still the best option."

But in my case I decided to pay more to get what I wanted, and not get what I was not 100% sure just to get the additional discount..... The fact that it was a MY10 was just a bonus! I would've gotten the MY09 if it was available..... anyway, 7.5% discount on MY10 was great!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Tom 97 C2-S, So. Cal.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PT767

As a point of reference, I was looking at a very similar car (S Cab, 09, PDK, etc) as our 06 is coming off lease in a month.

Today I was offered 20% off list, I think they can get to 22.5% off. It changed the payment in my favor, but not sure if a $1,450 vs. $1,500 (all in, 36 mo) is going to change my mind.

Not sure what to do, buy mine out, re-lease, or turn it back in and see what happens in the economy/job in Q2.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:56 AM
pt767
Instructor

PT767

As a point of reference, I was looking at a very similar car (S Cab, 09, PDK, etc) as our 06 is coming off lease in a month.

Today I was offered 20% off list, I think they can get to 22.5% off. It changed the payment in my favor, but not sure if a $1,450 vs. $1,500 (all in, 36 mo) is going to change my mind.

Not sure what to do, buy mine out, re-lease, or turn it back in and see what happens in the economy/job in Q2.

Tom,

Thanks for the info. You've got some decisions to make. The new cars are awesome . 22 1/2 % is pretty aggressive (compared to the clown that quoted me a line of BS). I made a decision to keep my car for the time being. My '06 S has been in storage for the summer. We moved back from the beach (Redondo) to the desert (Palm Desert) yesterday. For logistic (parking) reasons, I opted to keep the porsche in the garage for the summer. I opened up the garage & saw my beautiful car awaiting. The car was clean (just the way I left it) I took some air out of the tires (pumped them up to 50psi for storage), disconnected the battery tender & she fired right up. I took a drive up Hwy 74 (awesome road) around sunset on a beautiful desert evening. Nothing better! Opened the sunroof/lowered the windows (pretended I was in a cab!) radio off (sweet engine music!).....reminded me why I love this car. The car is free & clear so I think I'll keep her for awhile and enjoy every mile. Bottom line....the new cars are awesome....so are the old ones! There will be a cab in my future....just not today.

pt
Old 09-30-2009, 02:58 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pt767
Tom,

Thanks for the info. You've got some decisions to make. The new cars are awesome . 22 1/2 % is pretty aggressive (compared to the clown that quoted me a line of BS). I made a decision to keep my car for the time being. My '06 S has been in storage for the summer. We moved back from the beach (Redondo) to the desert (Palm Desert) yesterday. For logistic (parking) reasons, I opted to keep the porsche in the garage for the summer. I opened up the garage & saw my beautiful car awaiting. The car was clean (just the way I left it) I took some air out of the tires (pumped them up to 50psi for storage), disconnected the battery tender & she fired right up. I took a drive up Hwy 74 (awesome road) around sunset on a beautiful desert evening. Nothing better! Opened the sunroof/lowered the windows (pretended I was in a cab!) radio off (sweet engine music!).....reminded me why I love this car. The car is free & clear so I think I'll keep her for awhile and enjoy every mile. Bottom line....the new cars are awesome....so are the old ones! There will be a cab in my future....just not today.

pt
PT,

If you want to "quote" another post, just click on the "double quotation marks" in the lower right hand corner of that post. The forum will automatically put the quoted post on a gray box (as shown immediately above) and allow you to type a response below it.

Just an FYI.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:10 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pt767
I inquired about a '09 S Cab at Downtown LA Porsche. This was the initial response from the dealer:

On our brand new car:

MSRP of the car is $114,135, our selling price: $99,135 with 5.9%
financing OR $106,267 with 1.9% financing.

I hope our aggressiveness would earn your business. I look forward to
hearing back from you. Thank you.

My initial thought was ...what should the interest rate have to do the price? The price is the price....financing is another thing. I've got a top tier credit rating (most probably would pay cash) & was floored that you pay more to take advantage of a program put forward by Porsche. I haven't pursued it any further but just some food for thought. As much as I'd like a Cab, I think I'll enjoy my '06 S coupe for another year & look for a nice 2nd hand '09 Cab PDK in a year or so.
tha'ts really crazy...when i bought my car the price was the same regardless of financing. In May, porsche was offering 6k off in addition to the discount at 11% and cash deal or PFS financing at 2.9 and just the 11% off. couldn't have both!
anyway, I'll keep in you in mind when i sell my 09 c2S PDK cab in a year or so...
Old 09-30-2009, 11:19 PM
pt767
Instructor

Sounds good! Let me know....pt

Quick Reply: MY 09 Trunk Money Justification Thoughts