First timer... C2S or C4S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 12:20 PM
JH11932
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First timer... C2S or C4S?

Hello everyone,

After a couple of years of lurking around here, and my local dealership, I think I'm ready to take the plunge and buy my first. First, THANKS for all the fantastic advice you've all shared with each other, and fellow newcomers like me! This place is such a terrific resource for someone just getting his feet wet.

Well you know the drill. I started two years ago with a CPO Boxster in mind, considered everything from a 356 to a GT3, and then one day found myself behind the wheel of a 2009 C2S cabriolet that stole my heart. I really hadn't imagined that PDK could be as satisfying as it is, and the winding roads near my house in the east end of Long Island have never been more exciting... I just can't wait.

Before I seal the deal, I wondered if there was any consensus on the merits of the C4S over the C2S. From reading this forum, it sounds like a lot of it comes down to a matter of personal style, though the thread below [1] reminded me that the 4 might be a better choice if winter driving is an issue (which it is, here in snowy New York.) On the other hand, I've heard a lot of speculation that the 2's simpler mechanicals might make it a better choice as a long-term possession, both in terms of service and resale (haha, resale...), but an equal number of people seem to disagree [2]. Anyway, as someone who tends to hold on to things for a long time this is definitely on my mind.

If anyone wanted to share their thoughts, I'd be very grateful!

J.

[1] https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...in-winter.html
[2] http://www.performance2and4.co.uk/964di_1_n.htm
Old 09-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I recommend getting a daily driver for winter stuff (I got a GTI) and then it's just up to you which one you like the feel of better. The C2S is a little more "mobile" at the back, but it's more fun IMO. The C4S is one of those cars that always feels resolutely planted. I've owned both - you can't go wrong either way.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:36 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 583 Posts

I'm not sure what the future will hold with regards to resale, but unless you are really driving the car very aggressively, there really isnt that much difference between a C2S and a C4S. The C4S may be better for you given where you live. The 4WD may be helpful in bad weather. The C2S is a little lighter, fractionally quicker (not really noticeable) and for the track - may be a better option. I think the C4S is a little nicer looking due to the wider rear end . I got a C2S and love it.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:58 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C2S wins thumbs down. I own both, the 4 was my first purchase. As your knowledge and driving skill improves the C2 is far more rewarding in every aspect, from performance to the degree of control you have. I frequently ask myself why I purchased the 4, the answer to that is simply, I didn't know any better, and of course I didn't even know that Rennlist existed. I am on my third 911 and will never, ever, purchase a 4 wheel drive again.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:19 PM
PeterC4
Advanced

I have had a C4 and now own a C4S. Have driven a C2S for an extended week. The C4S is a heavier car, less lift in the front when you're on the highway, and feels more planted. If you're going to go on the race track you might want a C2S, but in the environment you're in 4WD will come in handy provided you put on snows. I wold recommend a daily driver in the snow as Chris suggested. For the uninitiated, the 4S keeps you planted a little longer when you're pushing it.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

For me, the biggest reason to get the C4S is the wide body look. But having said that, the 997 C2S has a wide body if compared to the 996, so it's all relative I guess. OTOH, I prefer having the driving dynamics of the more classic RWD layout. Although I like the looks of the C4S over the C2S, the C4S wasn't even on my shopping list when I was looking.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:47 PM
JH11932
Track Day

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts! This is very helpful.

I guess my next question (last question?) is, does anyone have any insight into how closely dealers are sticking to MSRP these days?
Old 09-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Tom N
Instructor

Originally Posted by JH11932
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts! This is very helpful.

I guess my next question (last question?) is, does anyone have any insight into how closely dealers are sticking to MSRP these days?
Not very.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:24 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C4S given the winter driving, and I'll admit that I prefer the wider body. If it was a weekend car or if you lived in a warmer climate then C2S.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:24 PM
JH11932
Track Day

Not very meaning not very close? The dealers I've spoken with are talking about prices within $5K of MSRP, which is why I asked...
Old 09-27-2009, 06:36 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

shop around just read on this forum porsche is giving the dealer 10k per car too sell. So you should get a great deal.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:26 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you'll learn a lot if you search for past posts on this very subject. Try something like "C2S vs. C4S" or other combinations. People have been asking this for many years and all of the reasons for one over the other have been covered. My personal feeling is a C2S is the best all around car Porsche makes, even if you live in NY and plan to drive the car year round. It's all about the tires you use, not whether the front wheels are turning. Get a 2nd set of wheels (18s) and put some good snows on and enjoy. C4S is heavier, more complex, more expensive, has less trunk room (this being your only car, it may be a factor), etc.

You are talking to the wrong dealers if getting numbers within $5k of MSRP. Heck, I custom ordered my car last November for 13% off MSRP. With the current $10,000 incentive Porsche is giving the dealer, you should be able to get $20k off (many here are reporting such deals).
Old 09-27-2009, 10:28 PM
AJBoston
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

To the OP - If you are considering a C4S, GREAT deals can be had on the 2009 C4S launch car because it has the sport bucket seats which many don't like. If you like these, you can definitely find a $113K MSRP car for well below $90K. There are lots of these cars sitting in dealer inventories. I picked one up Friday and I found over 20 cars with the launch code spec sitting in dealers across New England, NY/NJ.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
C4S given the winter driving, and I'll admit that I prefer the wider body. If it was a weekend car or if you lived in a warmer climate then C2S.
+1. I live in Florida and track my car so the C2S is for me...but if I planned on making A Carrera a dailey driver and snow could be on th road then I would do a C4S.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

As a Porsche owner for 35 years, I would highly recommend the 2wd. Less complex, by a long shot, particularly if you keep cars a long time like I do.

Quick Reply: First timer... C2S or C4S?