AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be all over a macadamia...
Old 09-28-2009, 10:37 PM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
The reason there are so many silver and black cars is because these are popular colors. I would think that a silver/black car is an easier sell than a SY, macadamia or green.
That is probably a true statement but their commonness also doesn't command a premium to other, more rare colors.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:10 AM
lucroberts
Rennlist Member

I disagree. Silver on Black is popular because it's one of the best color combinations in modern times for automobiles. It inspires technology, speed, sportiveness (is this a word ?) . I lost the count of how many silver on black cars I had since I learned how to drive. Black is second best in my list. Inspires luxury, elegance, mistery and power but it overheats on the sunny weather of South Florida.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:53 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know I'm going o get flamed for saying this but.... Silver, Black, Shades of silver, Shades of black are colors that are bland that make good lease cars, easier for resale. That is the only reason for them. What ever happened to the days when sports cars were bright red, yellow, lime green, powder blue. We have all become so concerned with not showing our true colors.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:46 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Except that bland is our True Color.

(-%

tino
Old 09-30-2009, 10:00 PM
E in Phila
Advanced

Originally Posted by pbarch1
I know I'm going o get flamed for saying this but.... Silver, Black, Shades of silver, Shades of black are colors that are bland that make good lease cars, easier for resale. That is the only reason for them. What ever happened to the days when sports cars were bright red, yellow, lime green, powder blue. We have all become so concerned with not showing our true colors.
To each their own, but I tend to think that more neutral colors do a better job of featuring the beauty of the car's design. Brash colors tend to distract the eye, and sometimes the color is all you end up seeing.

With a nice silver or grey you really see the beautiful lines of the 911. Color is fairly easy, but to create a great design set off by a nice set of wheels is a much greater artistic challenge, and personally I'd rather those elements be allowed to shine more brightly than the paint.

To me, one of the greatest features of the 911 design is the subtle elegance of it. Silvers, grays, and black suit that theme perfectly. There are other colors I enjoy seeing on the car, but I actually see more beauty overall when the car is draped in something understated (or with dark colors, something slightly sinister).

But hey, that's why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:41 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E in Phila
To each their own, but I tend to think that more neutral colors do a better job of featuring the beauty of the car's design. Brash colors tend to distract the eye, and sometimes the color is all you end up seeing.

With a nice silver or grey you really see the beautiful lines of the 911. Color is fairly easy, but to create a great design set off by a nice set of wheels is a much greater artistic challenge, and personally I'd rather those elements be allowed to shine more brightly than the paint.

To me, one of the greatest features of the 911 design is the subtle elegance of it. Silvers, grays, and black suit that theme perfectly. There are other colors I enjoy seeing on the car, but I actually see more beauty overall when the car is draped in something understated (or with dark colors, something slightly sinister).

But hey, that's why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors.

Pure poetry; then you went and ruined it with the BR-31 allusion.

(-%

tino
Old 09-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Very low 40's
Old 10-01-2009, 12:16 AM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Well...I have been offered as low as 38K (I won't mention the dealer) as a trade for a new 09. A couple other dealers have offered me low 40's, also as a trade. This means than less than 45k private party and I am better off just trading in the car. It also means that it may be a good idea to keep it, since it's so cheap!

Last edited by fer2367; 10-01-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:50 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why, in spite of the fact that dealers are dealing on '09s and even 10s, people are not flocking to the showrooms. If the net difference between their lowball offer on your tradein and the discounted new cars are basically the same as they were before the financial collapse then as far as I'm concerned they can sit and rust on the showroom floors.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:27 AM
edhchoe
AutoX

IMO, if you bring a trade in to a dealer, they can play you two ways like a see-saw. If you have cash for down payment, you can just focus on adding the least to their invoice price.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:58 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

But thats why you always negotiate on the purchase first, then bring the trade to the table. Otherwise they will just slice you on both ends.

Know what you are prepared to pay and know what you want to get for your trade. Keep it real and it will come to you eventually.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:06 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
But thats why you always negotiate on the purchase first, then bring the trade to the table. Otherwise they will just slice you on both ends.

Know what you are prepared to pay and know what you want to get for your trade. Keep it real and it will come to you eventually.
And don't let them screw you on the financing end either
Old 10-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
That's why, in spite of the fact that dealers are dealing on '09s and even 10s, people are not flocking to the showrooms. If the net difference between their lowball offer on your tradein and the discounted new cars are basically the same as they were before the financial collapse then as far as I'm concerned they can sit and rust on the showroom floors.
As I mentioned in another thread in Aug we had around 70 911's in stock 2009's and now we have about 5 so I would say they're not sitting around rusting. Yea when you can buy a 100k 2009 for 80 grand then your trade is worth less, thats common sense not being ripped off. The car in question in this thread is worth somewhere in the low low 40's.

Someone already mentioned it but you should always negotiate you purchase price and then add your trade. You should have a reasonable idea what its worth by doing some research and you could even see the low ball offer you get on auto-trader automatically these days.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E in Phila
Exactly.
Silver and it's variants are as close to pure liquid metal...it allows beautiful lines and designs to come through.
Take a look at BMW
A Z8 in silver..beautiful flowing design..
Any modern day 3 series..5 series..7 series...make 'em as dark as you can to hide the ugly..

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling, pricing advice