Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is stone gray boring or bland?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 04:35 PM
dovpcar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so the car I'm looking at is all stone gray (not two tone)... like the two tone a lot.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:06 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stone gray interior is compatible with the sport seat backs, center console plate and the steering wheel ring. Some interior trim is silver metallic, also. Other colors will be a problem here. Doing my car over, I would get the natural gray with leather seat backs. With other leather colors, it would be necessary to go to the aftermarket for fixing the console, trim and wheel. Or specify matching leather trim for additional cost.

Ordering an interior with the 997.1 was a problem and I suspect that the 997.2 is no better. Uninformative ordering guides and less than knowledgeable salesmen.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the black/terracotta too. And it doesn't photograph well. I saw a used Cabrio and it had worn in very nicely and looked great. Very tempting. I thnk full terracotta is too much (especially the dash) and a new car I saw looked a bit too "bright" so maybe once it has some conditioner and wear, it darkens a little and brings out a more rich appearance.

I also saw the two tone gray in a blue cabrio. Also very nice. I'm still very pleased with Cocoa and Meteor. I keep getting random compliments; people just stroll by and say they love the look of the car (having two giggling daughters in the back seats probably makes it more approachable ... )
Old 09-25-2009, 06:01 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I hadn't been a fan of Terracotta until I saw this one. Very rich looking indeed...
Which style seats are these? (pic from previous page, didn't transfer)
Old 09-27-2009, 01:08 AM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for black/grey two-tone full leather
Old 09-27-2009, 03:32 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I think Gray/Silver, et. al are just fine, and quite elegant indeed. Get what you like!

Edgy01, though you may think you're being daring, I think your car's color combination is rather safe. I doubt you can find too many people that would not admit that it's striking, and beautiful.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:34 AM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another point on silver (or white): it is the official color of Germany for road racing. (Italy is red, GB is green, France is baby blue, etc)
Old 09-27-2009, 03:54 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmet
I think Gray/Silver, et. al are just fine, and quite elegant indeed. Get what you like!

Edgy01, though you may think you're being daring, I think your car's color combination is rather safe. I doubt you can find too many people that would not admit that it's striking, and beautiful.
Thanks,--and agree, that 'different' doesn't have to be risky.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:55 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I lust after a White exterior, Natural Brown full leather interior... mmm! Oh well, a few years down the road heh.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:54 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Which style seats are these? (pic from previous page, didn't transfer)
Those are the OEM Sport Bucket Seats
Old 09-28-2009, 10:01 AM
tincanman99
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It depends. Many who base their car ordering upon satisfying the next buyer, are routinely ultraconservative. Gray on gray is safe. Really safe. And then there are the irrational buyers who throw caution to the wind when they order and get what THEY want, and not what they think the next guy will buy. Wake me if you order gray. I think it's a waste of money ordering a plain jane car. You can simply buy it off the rack. With the availability of paint to sample, and leather to sample, some beautiful cars are possible. But they're not safe.
I have to agree with Dan on this. Gray on gray is boring as is black on black. No offense meant to anyone here. Every Porsche I see on the road is gray or black. For that matter almost every car I see on the road is gray or black.

Its ultraconservative and the equivalent of painting your house all beige inside because thats what they say sells houses. Its not elegant, it just shows a lack of imagination. As for silver being the racing color of Germany and? Does that mean when I see a silver Chevy its representing Germany ?

If you want gray I would get the 2 tone with the black, it breaks it up nicely.

If you want something sharp, get the gray outside with a tan interior. I have seen that combination and its very nice looking.

BTW, when I bought my Audi I custom ordered it, it was ocean blue (vey close to Porsche's Aqua Blue) with a tan interior. The car was so stunning that the dealership placed it out front so everyone could see it. It was pulling people off the street because it was so different than all the gray/silver cars.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:46 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67
I lust after a White exterior, Natural Brown full leather interior... mmm! Oh well, a few years down the road heh.
I love white sports cars, only if I could find a decent deal on a GT3 in white... Here's my white/cashmere M3
Old 10-05-2009, 04:39 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i hated the grey in my old G35 because it just looked bad and wasnt really grey.. was more of a mix between the "wheat" (tan) and grey.. just wasnt ideal.

that being said i love the grey in my 997.2 ... at first i didnt like in pics but seeing in person its great, and it doesnt get dirty at all like lighter colors usually do.... i love how everything is grey in the interior too as the trim on base carrera is volcano grey and mends well.

pictures:

i will however say that the next car i order thru porsche will have sea blue interior.. as ive always been in love with idea of blue interior on white, and porsche must love me to make both colors "standard".. i like red on grey as well. but that add's up..
Old 10-05-2009, 01:40 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It depends. Many who base their car ordering upon satisfying the next buyer, are routinely ultraconservative. Gray on gray is safe. Really safe. And then there are the irrational buyers who throw caution to the wind when they order and get what THEY want, and not what they think the next guy will buy. Wake me if you order gray. I think it's a waste of money ordering a plain jane car. You can simply buy it off the rack. With the availability of paint to sample, and leather to sample, some beautiful cars are possible. But they're not safe.
That's a priceless shot of your cab there, Dan!
Old 10-05-2009, 04:23 PM
purrybonker
Pro

I'm probably one of the most outspoken around here about how BORING grey and silver cars are.

My car has the two-tone black/grey and and I LOVE IT. (see avatar)

The black/grey two-tone interior is elegant and yet will benefit over the years from not showing wear, tear and dirt as readily as lighter colors would do.

I'm a huge fan of Carrera red interiors, particularly with a dark grey exterior, but there's no way that would hold up like the black/grey combination.

Quick Reply: Is stone gray boring or bland?