Sponsored by:

Fabspeed Tubi Rennsport-1 997.2 Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 01:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Fabspeed Tubi Rennsport-1 997.2 Review

Ok, this might should become a sticky for awhile as it seems like every other thread is about getting more sound from the cloged up stock muffler system on the new 2009-10 Carrera and Carrera S.

FABSPEED SIDE MUFFLER DELETE PIPES
http://www.fabspeed.com/carrera_2009.html
I have a 2009 Carrera S and have been running the Fabspeed Side Muffler delete system for 8000 miles. This system deletes the 2 very heavy side mufflers and just uses the stock center muffler. Basically this Fabspeed system is just 2 pipes that run from the center muffler to the tips...that is it. This system sounds agressive, loud, pops and burbles and sounds really good at the track. There is a lot of drone from 2000-2600 rpm but for a weekend toy and track toy I loved it.

RENNSPORT-1 CENTER MUFFLER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exa3B2EK-eQ
The rear center Rennsport-1 muffler makes a lot of sense to a guy like me due to much lighter weight and shorter exhaust gas travel. Back in September 08 when I took delivery of my car I wrote a few exhaust manufactures about doing a good center muffler only. I was told it was not needed to it would not work. They all were wrong!

The Rennsport-1 center muffler allows you to by-pass the heavy side mufflers like my Fabspeed pipes are doing with the stock center muffler but The Rennsport-1 center muffler is much quieter than they way I am doing it with just the stock center muffler/resonator. The Rennsport-1 center muffler sounds extremely good....I mean really good from inside and outside the car. At deceleration you get a nice subdued burble and under throttle the car sound exotic. At part throttle from 2000-2400 rpm there is exhaust sound but not a ton of drone....some drone but it really is just exhaust sound. Obviously this system is louder than stock so inside the car you will naturally hear the exhaust more but it sounds really good and is not annoying to me. At 2700-3200 there is not much exhaust sound in the car at all. When you get the rpms up further the car sounds very exotic and has a nice wail type of sound that is characteristic of a Porsche. Rennsport-1 did some full throttle fly by's and outside the car the volume was enough so you noticed something exotic was going by but not obnoxiously loud to attract unwanted attention. To me this is the way a Porsche should sound.

TUBI FULL SYSTEM
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=107
I just installed a full Tubi system on my car. This came about to me as a perk this week when my wife was buying a Cayanne S. My Carrera S was in the dealer for a cracked weld on the left header. This header was being replaced under warranty. The Sales Mngr who was the Parts Mngr saw the system I was running and asked me about it. My wife is really cool and did not complain about how loud the car was but she had mentioned it to me before. So the talk about a Tubi system came about. She was buying the Cayanne S for 18% off sticker and negotiated in 20" Cayanne wheels, full tint, t-shirts and the Tubi system for the Carrera all for FREE. She is something else and know Porsche is dieing to sell Cayanne's. I only did this due to the ultra cheap price and how the deal worked out plus I thought why not try something different out.

The Tubi system deletes the rear center muffler with pipes that crossover each other and this system uses 2 extremely lightweight side mufflers. The Tubi side mufflers are small and weight 8lbs each.
The Tubi sound is different than most. It has somewhat of a PSE sound which I call a Euro sound. The Tubi system over all has more mid-range in the sound and some rasp to it. It does not sound deep, puffy or has a lot of bass to the sound...it sounds like a European sports car. On decell there is some poping and burble that sounds really cool. The car sounds pretty much stock and/or no louder than PSE while driving through the neighboorhood and driving around under 3000rpm on the suburb streets. However if you get on the throttle at 3500 rpm the exhaust really opens up and sounds very exotic. The sound volume is no where near as loud as the Fabspeed Side Muffler By-Pass pipes or even the Rennsport-1 center muffler. I am not sure if Tubi uses packing material inside there mufflers so I will see if they sound opens up any in the next few months and track days.

If you are looking for something more sporting but ZERO DRONE on the interstate the Tubi System is perfect for dailey drivers.

If you want something deeper sounding you can here while inside the car at all rpm's, save a lot of weight and louder than stock for track days but not too loud in my book for a dailey driver or weekend toy the Rennsport-1 is my pick. So far this is still my favorite sounding exhaust.

If you want loud for your track toy and weekend toy and do not really listen to the stereo or talk alot on a cell phone while driving. The best bang for the buck is the ultra simple Fabspeed Side Muffler By-Pass pipes. I drove 8000 miles and 7 track weekends with these and really liked them but they can draw some attention on the street.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:28 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice writeup. Nice wife too!!
Old 09-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

What about the 997.1? Does Rennsport make something for them?
Old 09-19-2009, 08:00 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
Nice writeup. Nice wife too!!
Oh yeah she is the best!

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Tubi Rennsport-1 997.2 Review