Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downshifting from 3rd Gear to 2nd Gear (6 speed transmissions)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Just drive it, you won't break the tranny - don't sweat it.

BMW tranny's are no better in my experience, and their automatics shift like crap!
Old 09-21-2009, 01:53 PM
jk335
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Just drive it, you won't break the tranny - don't sweat it.

BMW tranny's are no better in my experience, and their automatics shift like crap!
Exactly what I am going to do. Let me also ask this question and it's practical.

My last car had 260 HP, and 221lbs feet of torque aroudn 3000 rpms.

This 911 is 345, and about 280 lbs at 3000...

Would that cause the shift from 2nd to be more balky. This much torque might do it? I do not recall on the m3 if it felt like a huge load transfer...
Old 09-21-2009, 02:12 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jk335
See, the whole thing is the 911 is an amazing car, BUT, to me... it's not as sporting as the BMW. Here's why, the shifting, is notchy at best. The clutch is hard to modulate. It's a race car. Do I think I might have purchased the wrong car? Some days, that answer is yes. Some days its no. Each shift is so hard to smooth out, that the car is hard to handle as a daily driver.
I think you may actually have a problem with your car. I have a 530 BMW with a manual transmission, and just added the Porsche just over a month ago. The shifting in my Porsche is fine. No problems transitioning between the two cars. In the morning, before it's warmed up, it's a bit hard to get into first as I am approaching a stop light, but as I learned on this forum a little rev fixes that - and once the car is warm there is not a problem.

Do you have an 'S' or base Carrera? I did notice in doing test drives that the 'S' was louder, a bit stiffer, and the clutch was certainly heavier. I actually chose a base Carrera over an 'S' since I would be sharing DD with the BMW.

It does sound to like there is a problem with the car. Shifting should not be difficult and there should not be any noise. Does this happen under normal driving or just when you are downshifting at high RPMs?
Old 09-21-2009, 02:21 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by jk335
See, the whole thing is the 911 is an amazing car, BUT, to me... it's not as sporting as the BMW. Here's why, the shifting, is notchy at best. The clutch is hard to modulate. It's a race car. Do I think I might have purchased the wrong car? Some days, that answer is yes. Some days its no. Each shift is so hard to smooth out, that the car is hard to handle as a daily driver.
Something's off with your car imo. I bought mine with 4,000 miles on it. Daily driver and the shifter's been butter smooth all along. Got even better with the short kit. To give you an idea how your car should feel, I can shift between any gears, up or down using two finger tips and minimal effort.

Bring your car to the dealer and have your linkage checked. Somebody else posted about an issue similar to yours a while back and it was completely eliminated by his dealership.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Keep in mind, that the OP is talking about downshifting into 2nd gear at 50mph... which is not a typical daily drive sort of activity for a non-racer.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:40 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Minok
Keep in mind, that the OP is talking about downshifting into 2nd gear at 50mph... which is not a typical daily drive sort of activity for a non-racer.
good point....
Old 09-21-2009, 05:02 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Therefor he shouldn't take it to the dealer or not tell the Dealer?

tino
Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Yeah but wasn't he also talking about the daily commute? Doesn't this sound like someone who's not happy with his 997 in everyday traffic?

Here's why, the shifting, is notchy at best. The clutch is hard to modulate. It's a race car. Do I think I might have purchased the wrong car? Some days, that answer is yes. Some days its no. Each shift is so hard to smooth out, that the car is hard to handle as a daily driver.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The way I read the OP's post, is he is driving it in daily traffic the way one would drive at the racetrack; that is, keep it near redline or in the upper revs. So he is downshifting into 2nd on surface streets and interstate commutes.

I was just thinking that the behaviour many of us get out of our cars in daily driving isn't the same for what the OP gets, because he is driving his car differently in daily driving.

You and I may be having smooth as butter shifts, but we are shifting around 2000 or 3000 rpm. I, at least, am not trying to shift into 2nd at 50mph as I exit the interstate or whatever he's doing.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:09 PM
jk335
Instructor

The way I read the OP's post, is he is driving it in daily traffic the way one would drive at the racetrack; that is, keep it near redline or in the upper revs. So he is downshifting into 2nd on surface streets and interstate commutes.

I was just thinking that the behaviour many of us get out of our cars in daily driving isn't the same for what the OP gets, because he is driving his car differently in daily driving.

You and I may be having smooth as butter shifts, but we are shifting around 2000 or 3000 rpm. I, at least, am not trying to shift into 2nd at 50mph as I exit the interstate or whatever he's doing.
Just to reinterate again... I have a "thud or bump" that i experience with the downshift from 3rd to 2nd at about 50 mph. Going 40 it does not happen.

I've taken it to the dealer, had the REP from Porsche tell me there is nothing wrong. But it really sucks to have a car that is a beast to drive, but when you want to go and downshift to become a little sporty, the car almost refuses to do this. I am told I need to rev match or double clutch.

But I ask you this. At 50 mph, coming out into a turn, should you be doign all this rev match stuff, or just taking the turn not worryign that your car will go "clunk" with the transmission?

I am now looking into the arbitors. Porsche has officially told me I am wrong, nothing is wrong with the car. I disagree. Anyone in the RI, MA area want to drive a base 911 just to see if this is real? I almost need a few people to evaluate... besides two dealers and a porsche rep.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:03 PM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by soltino
Therefor he shouldn't take it to the dealer or not tell the Dealer?

tino
Could the dealer ever adjust the tension or engagement of each shift?

Maybe everyone has this issue. Although the car I drove at the delaer did not exhibit this issue. No two are a like all right!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Try taking the turn at 65 instead...that way, you can avoid the need to shift.... :-)
Old 09-23-2009, 10:35 AM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by cole328
Try taking the turn at 65 instead...that way, you can avoid the need to shift.... :-)
I actually caught myself slowign down to 45 so i wouldn't have the issue. The other trick is 60 because the rpm is perfect in 3rd.

I admit I have to accomidate to drive this car fast, but i am learning. Just wish I knew if it was me or the car...
Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

No offense meant, but I believe it is you and not the car......
Old 09-23-2009, 12:46 PM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by cole328
No offense meant, but I believe it is you and not the car......
None taken. I guess BMW just makes a smoother transmission I can deal with... Having driven BMW for years, I am used to the isolated clicks more than the thumps and thuds the Porsche transmission makes.

I am glad I asked the board. Seems like this is a normal issue with all 911s. I can now see why PDK is popular...

Quick Reply: Downshifting from 3rd Gear to 2nd Gear (6 speed transmissions)