Sponsored by:

More Dension Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:05 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default More Dension Help

Like many others, I have had a lot of grief trying to wade through the unclear instructions from Dension, and the dozens of experiences of others on these forums, and am still having a few issues with my recent install of the Dension Gateway 500.
I've got it installed fine (I put it behind PCM so I could have all the input leads in glove box for easy access). The text info is appearing on the screen ok, and didn't even need PIWIS reprogramming despite not having a CD changer.

My issue is as follows: I have an XM radio constantly attached to the AUX input, and have a new Nano on the iPod connector. Both work fine on their own.

(1) I can't find a way to switch sources between AUX and iPod. I can get a screen that shows the various sources, but can't seem to enable a switch in real time. Right now, if I want to listen to the XM, I have to unplug the iPod. Then if I want to listen to the iPod, I have to plug it in again. Can't I keep them both plugged in and just select the one I want enabled?

(2) I'd like to try the iPod UI (controls on the iPod) to see if I like it better than the iPod GW (controls on the PCM). Again, I can see the selections, but can't seem to enable the iPod UI function.
I've tried the Dension website, which I've found about as unhelpful as the "Manual" that came with the unit. And I've printed out a number of posts on these forums, and have tried the switching the AUX unit on and off 3 times. holding my breath, wiggling my nose and eyebrows, and pushing arrow buttons in place of turning *****, but to no avail so far. Being a mechanical engineer, maybe I think too logically for this software and firmware crap.

Other than that, I love the sound I'm getting.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

CD6, Menu, Source, select iPodUI and HOLD DOWN the fast forward button to lock in your selection (maybe 10 secs). This is true for all settings. That will switch you from PCM control to iPod control if that is what you want.

We send detailed files to our customers, and ask them to read them to understand this sort of thing. If you bought it from us, you have the files, or can email me anytime.

The first line in my post is covered in the details. Pretty straightforward. We helped put the extensive details in our installation, user guides and programming guides to help our customers wade through it, and once they understand how to make selections, get the unit set to their preferences, it's pretty simple.

And to think you can live with the system without programming is a pipe dream. It will stop one day, could be tomorrow, or next week. Just try to get to a dealer soon and have the cdc activated.

Email me anytime.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Quick Reply: More Dension Help