Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Universal Audio Interface: Plug in portable XM radio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Hobart
AutoX

Location: Belvedere, California, just over the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Universal Audio Interface: Plug in portable XM radio?

The MY09 car I am looking at doesn't have XM but it has everything else like NAV, Bluetooth and a Universal Audio Interface jack. I like XM radio as I am a news junkie, and it is perfect for the times I might get stuck in traffic.

Would I be able to listen to a portable Pioneer XM radio http://www.xmradio.com/pioneerinno/index.xmc ? I was thinking that it wouldn't be a problem, however, will the menus pop up on the NAV screen like an IPOD or Iphone is supposed to do? I am thinking maybe for viewing but not for control. Can anyone please advise me?

Of course, I know I will need a booster antenna for inside the car and get some power to it as well. They have car kits, I just hope everything can be hidden away.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:19 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

You can connect a portable XM receiver to the Aux input and be done. It will not show XM menus on your car's PCM display. You will access the XM menus on your portable XM receiver.

IMO, for someone who needs/wants XM this is a much better solution than the built-in XM option with its awful antenna wart.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:59 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
You can connect a portable XM receiver to the Aux input and be done. It will not show XM menus on your car's PCM display. You will access the XM menus on your portable XM receiver.

IMO, for someone who needs/wants XM this is a much better solution than the built-in XM option with its awful antenna wart.
I fully agree. I'm currently installing a Dension GW500 to allow me to plug my portable XM into the AUX input and improve upon the terrible sound through the FM transmitter on the unit. The other advantage is that I can listen to normal radio or CD, and independently monitor the XM for other choices. Then when I see something I want to listen to, I switch over to the XM.

Quick Reply: New Universal Audio Interface: Plug in portable XM radio?