Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera S converted to GT3 - 60k too much?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:20 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No sane Porsche enthusiast would buy a poser GT3 with an automatic transmission. In addition, the GT3 is nothing like a regular 911, from the base GT1 engine architecture, dry sump, and suspension. The seller is full of BS, this Frankenstein of a car would never out perform a GT3, a 996 at that. Moreover, you are likely to be ridiculed by other Porsche enthusiasts when you show up at a track or social event. Do yourself a favor and buy a regular 997S, you are not a GT3 type, in that you are considering an automatic transmission.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sws1
Are you looking to buy it? Or are you just finding a way to post your car for sale on Rennlist without paying?
ding ding ding
Old 09-15-2009, 09:35 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys are cracking me up.

Let's just let medtech check it out and see how he REALLY feels about it.
(I bet he buys it out from under lysoldude!)

And then, when one of them shows up at the track with it, you're all going to want rides.

Am I reading this right or what?

Phil
Old 09-15-2009, 10:15 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Default A little too serious

OMG, some of you are getting a little too serious about the car. All of us have made our Porsches into a personal ride. What difference does it make that it looks like a GT3 ? Sounds like the dude had fun tricking it out, now someone can take the car to another level. sounds like 50-60k is a great price for a car with a bunch of options.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Swoody
Racer

Hey Lysoleverywhere....go up a few forums into the member to member classifieds and check out the '06 C4S "GT3 RS clone" for sale up there. If you are dead set on a "clone" this one seems WAY better deal. Still have some decals to deal with but that one has a supercharger, 6sp and is widebody!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:17 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Bottom line is there is NO WAY they swapped the engine. The GT1 blocks and M96 blocks are different and the transmissions from one will not bolt to the other. It is still a tip, so not engine upgrade. It is just a Carrera S tip with a body kit. They are probably not factory parts anyways. There are a lot fo cheap aftermarket kits out there.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:12 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lysoleverywhere
I'm seriously interested in the car. I'll take off the stickers if I get it. I love the front splitter, rear bumper and accent colors. He claims it has 400-420 horsepower and will outrun a regular GT3. Would I have to pay you to check it out?
If you really like this car, go for it. However, let me make a recommendation, and I mean this in a positive way. The first track event you show up to in which there are many 911's you may find yourself being ridiculed, especially when your fellow track enthusiasts note the automatic transmission. This is a poser car, nothing more, 99% of modified Porsche's are an improvement over the original, this is an abomination and sacrilegious expression of some shallow minded poser.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:58 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, tough crowd.

So I called the owner and got the story on the car.

Evidently he was a victim of the dreaded IMS failure and got a new engine from PCNA, replaced by our local dealer. No, not a GT3 engine.

He installed the IPD plenum, 200 cell cats, and cargraphic exhaust. He thinks that he can add up all the promised HP gains on the box and that's how he's getting his 400+ HP. I didn't have the heart to tell him that's not the way it works.

He had PCCBs installed, CF GT3 seats, paddle shifters, H&R springs, and those crappy heavy rims.

His cousin owns some tuning magazine called 0-60, and he's the one who got the work done at various shops in the LA area.

I was going to go see the car tonight, but some guy from England bought it sight unseen. Personally I think that's a blessing for the OP.

Except for the Poseur factor, I don't think this was a bad car, I just think it was all show and no go. The owners money was poorly spent on cosmetics and no real suspension or engine upgrades. Take the stickers off, slap a supercharger on it, and I MIGHT be a fan.

I'm still working with the OP to get him into a Turbo or GT3 for that money.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the followup, medtech.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:13 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Interesting to see that someone actually purchased this Frankenstein, but then again there are will always be some poor ill informed buyer out there. I don't think I would like to see the buyer's face, when sometime in the future, he comes to the realization that he could have purchased a real 996 GT3.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:00 AM
Lysoleverywhere
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Swoody
Hey Lysoleverywhere....go up a few forums into the member to member classifieds and check out the '06 C4S "GT3 RS clone" for sale up there. If you are dead set on a "clone" this one seems WAY better deal. Still have some decals to deal with but that one has a supercharger, 6sp and is widebody!
Have a link to it? I can't find it. Supercharger sounds nice. Honestly I don't care about GT3 / RS badges and all that mess. I also don't care if it's a Frankenstein car. I'm looking to push 500-600+ hp regardless of which car I get. If it doesn't have turbos/supercharger, I'll be adding it myself. It seems the Turbo car is the safest bet based on my current needs. Still shopping.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:56 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Let's just let medtech check it out and see how he REALLY feels about it.
(I bet he buys it out from under lysoldude!)

Phil

I TOLD you medtech would buy it!

Phil
Old 09-18-2009, 11:13 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lysoleverywhere
Have a link to it? I can't find it. Supercharger sounds nice. Honestly I don't care about GT3 / RS badges and all that mess. I also don't care if it's a Frankenstein car. I'm looking to push 500-600+ hp regardless of which car I get. If it doesn't have turbos/supercharger, I'll be adding it myself. It seems the Turbo car is the safest bet based on my current needs. Still shopping.
Lysol, you need to buy a membership to see memb. to memb. classifieds.
Here's the add without all the pics. Looks just like the last one on the outside.
LOTS of well done mods on this one. If you want forced air induction this may be the car for you.

Phil

F/S 2006 Porsche 997 C4 GT3RS look and feel
This car is a 2006 C4 with 11,000 miles on it. As you can see it has been modified to have a GT3RS look. As you can see this car is in PRISTINE condition. The car is 99.9% perfect, the only reason that it is not 1000% is that there has to be something a little off somewhere, I just can't find it. It is the best sounding Porsche I have ever heard as well.

VIN#WP0AA29996S716875

Modifications include-
-GT3RS rear bumper
-GMG Racing headers, cats, mufflers and center exit pipes
-GT3RS front bumper
-Brembo front and rear big brake kit
-Vorsteiner rear wing and hatch
-Sachs stage 2 clutch and Aasco lightweight flywheel
-Quaife LSD
-Carbon steering wheel with finger touch controls
-Rear seat delete
-RS logo in rear seat
-Speed yellow front seat belts
-Removed rear seat belts
-VF-Engineering V3 supercharger kit
-Center console and chrono painted speed yellow
-GT4RS carbon illuminated door sills
-Lojack
-19" wheels painted GT3RS black w/ RS centercaps
-clear corner lenses
-GT3RS orange logo on decklid
-GT3RS side logos in orange
-mirrors and side sills painted in GT3RS orange
-center third radiator with GT3RS shrouds
-sports chrono package
-carbon fiber shifter
-carbon fiber e-brake
-Michelin Pilot Sports 305/30-19 rear
-Michelin Pilot Sports 235/35-19 front
-Comes with winter wheels and tires too
-18" Porsche wheels silver (winter)
-295/35 R 18 Nokian tires (winter)
-235/40 R 18 Nokian Tires (winter)
-GIAC flash tuned
-Larger Bosch injectors
-Brey Krause R-2035 fire extinguisher mount
-Amerex 2.5 lb fire extinguisher

As you can see from this list a lot of parts have been changed on the car. This car has only had 1500 miles put on it since all these modifications were completed. Looking to get a Ferrari so that is what is facilitating the sale. This car is being offered for sale at $75,000.00. The latest Excellence magazine Porsche market update lists the value of one of these cars that is in excellent condition at $65,000.00 and you add another $45,000.00 in work to the car and we priced it at $75,000.00. As you can see this qualifies for a car in the pristine condition that excellence was referring to. All the parts used on this car are factory Porsche parts unless stated differently, no expense was spared in building this.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
I TOLD you medtech would buy it!

Phil
Sshhhh....I don't want anyone to know it's not a real RS.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Wills
Advanced

Originally Posted by medtech
some guy from England bought it sight unseen.

Oh that's embarrassing.....

Quick Reply: Carrera S converted to GT3 - 60k too much?