Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera S converted to GT3 - 60k too much?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
If you really like the car and price, just buy it and take all the GT3 decals off....then your left with a nice looking car that is not as much as a poser
I don't think it's quite that simple. I'm with cole and edgy -- this sort of overhaul rarely happens to a car unless there's some weird catastrophe in the car's history. I'll bet there was significant damage in an accident or some other curious chain of events that yielded the frankencar.

Also, the nature of the add-ons really makes me distrust whoever chose them. Saving three grams of weight with a carbon-fiber exhaust tip but putting on 50lb 20" wheels? It's schizophrenic -- there's no rhyme or reason to the mods. Plus it's a tiptronic. I like the looks (heck, visually it's a clone of my car) but I'd still run far away from this thing just because it's suspicious.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:33 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The seller only put 20k into it, so he obviously does not hav a GT3 engine. Mostly cosmetic mods. From arcadia, so my guess is he's asian (not a dis, just makes more sense that he would "rice" it out).

In some ways this is no more a frankenstein car that any other heavily body modded car. If you love the look, and take off those damn stickers and fake-a@@ RS badge, then maybe it's someone's dream car (not mine). I would take the regular price of a used S, and add maybe $5 grand for the mods IF they hav been done well.

If it passes PPI, no accident, AND the mods are ALL top quality, then ok, if not then RUN AWAY.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:16 PM
luisimo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you remove all the stickers and the car is clean (passes inspection, carfax) I will say somewhere in the 50's is a good price, the seat and brakes alone will make it a car to consider (I am not into automatic's but many people are).
Old 09-14-2009, 04:24 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're the type of guy who would wear military insignia that you didn't earn... on civilian clothes... then that is THE car for you.

Colonel Gaddafi comes to mind as an example. There's room for an GT3RS badge in there somewere.

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 05-22-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Is that velvet?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Wills
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the fact the advert states "still under factory warranty"
Old 09-14-2009, 05:54 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car is an abortion. A automatic!!!!! Dude? Are you serious? Would you buy an Auto if it wasn't farkled out? Someone is either hiding something or had wayyyy to much time and stupidity on their hands
Old 09-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Lysoleverywhere
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by medtech
The seller only put 20k into it, so he obviously does not hav a GT3 engine. Mostly cosmetic mods. From arcadia, so my guess is he's asian (not a dis, just makes more sense that he would "rice" it out).

In some ways this is no more a frankenstein car that any other heavily body modded car. If you love the look, and take off those damn stickers and fake-a@@ RS badge, then maybe it's someone's dream car (not mine). I would take the regular price of a used S, and add maybe $5 grand for the mods IF they hav been done well.

If it passes PPI, no accident, AND the mods are ALL top quality, then ok, if not then RUN AWAY.

I spoke to him. Yah he's asian. He said something happened to the engine, so Porsche put a brand new engine in it for him. He claims the engine has 500 miles on it. He said he had all paperwork, clean carfax, maintenance records etc. He said the car is absolutely perfect and he dropped a video for me to look at so I could hear the exhaust.

his car is at the end of the video (black Porsche) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUR-U...e=channel_page

I'm new to the Porsche world btw. I had a 2005 Lotus Elise and now I'm in a BMW 7 series. I want another sports car, but am a little unsure of dropping 90k on a GT3. I drove a GT3 this Saturday and LOVED the look and sound. I wasn't extremely impressed with the power of the car, but I could definitely go that way if prices were around 50-60k. That's how I found this car. Unfortunately since it's in California I can't easily go see it as I live in Atlanta, GA. The GT3 is the only model that thrills me aesthetically. I was looking at a 2009 Bmw M3 as well, but it has no curb appeal. I do plan on going to the track once in a while so this is why I'm looking at Porsche. BMW just doesn't seem to have the reliability that I'm looking for. They are putting too many computers in their cars lately. Porsche seemed like a good prospect due to the reliability that I'm hearing about, but I can't take the plunge on a brand new one. 90k-110k is just too much for me.

Any advice welcome.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

A brand new GT3 would set you back $120k-$150k. But you could definitely get into a 996 GT3 for less than this terrible, horrible, no good, very bad car costs.

Listen to ricster -- would you seriously be shopping for an automatic if the car wasn't all dressed up in shiny baubles? It's a terrible car, especially if you ever intend to show up at the track.

I don't care if it has a "clean carfax," that means nothing. He blew up the first engine and now it has shiny plastic parts bolted on to it. RUN AWAY.

There are thousands of good Porsches out there which would be better buys.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:11 PM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lysoleverywhere
I spoke to him. Yah he's asian. He said something happened to the engine, so Porsche put a brand new engine in it for him. He claims the engine has 500 miles on it. He said he had all paperwork, clean carfax, maintenance records etc. He said the car is absolutely perfect and he dropped a video for me to look at so I could hear the exhaust.

his car is at the end of the video (black Porsche) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUR-U...e=channel_page

I'm new to the Porsche world btw. I had a 2005 Lotus Elise and now I'm in a BMW 7 series. I want another sports car, but am a little unsure of dropping 90k on a GT3. I drove a GT3 this Saturday and LOVED the look and sound. I wasn't extremely impressed with the power of the car, but I could definitely go that way if prices were around 50-60k. That's how I found this car. Unfortunately since it's in California I can't easily go see it as I live in Atlanta, GA. The GT3 is the only model that thrills me aesthetically. I was looking at a 2009 Bmw M3 as well, but it has no curb appeal. I do plan on going to the track once in a while so this is why I'm looking at Porsche. BMW just doesn't seem to have the reliability that I'm looking for. They are putting too many computers in their cars lately. Porsche seemed like a good prospect due to the reliability that I'm hearing about, but I can't take the plunge on a brand new one. 90k-110k is just too much for me.

Any advice welcome.
If you are seriously interested in the car, I can go take a look at it for you, but I'm very picky and my assesment will be to the point. IF this guy did anything cheesy to the car, I won't be kind or mince words.

Remember, it's an S, even if the bodywork is perfect, it's still gonna drive like an S. I say this b/c if you drove a GT3 and thought it was underpowered, then this car will seem REALLY underpowered. Plus it's a TIP, so if he chipped it you might be ok, otherwise you will need to drop another $350 on a SprintBooster to take out the throttle lag.

From your post above, it seems like you might like a TT. 996s are selling in the 50s now. Have you driven a turbo?

Aaron
Old 09-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Lysoleverywhere
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by medtech
If you are seriously interested in the car, I can go take a look at it for you, but I'm very picky and my assesment will be to the point. IF this guy did anything cheesy to the car, I won't be kind or mince words.

Remember, it's an S, even if the bodywork is perfect, it's still gonna drive like an S. I say this b/c if you drove a GT3 and thought it was underpowered, then this car will seem REALLY underpowered. Plus it's a TIP, so if he chipped it you might be ok, otherwise you will need to drop another $350 on a SprintBooster to take out the throttle lag.

From your post above, it seems like you might like a TT. 996s are selling in the 50s now. Have you driven a turbo?

Aaron
I'm seriously interested in the car. I'll take off the stickers if I get it. I love the front splitter, rear bumper and accent colors. He claims it has 400-420 horsepower and will outrun a regular GT3. Would I have to pay you to check it out?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

He claims it has 400-420 horsepower and will outrun a regular GT3.
Unless he has added a turbo or supercharger this is a lie. You cannot get 400hp out of that normally aspirated 3.8 engine in a Carrera S, especially with bolt-ons, and double-especially mated to a tiptronic transmission. And even imagining that he does have a magic 400hp engine, those heavy, 20" wheels would ruin the acceleration anyway.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

That car is CRAPOLA and a posermobile.

You can put as much Lysol on it as you want and it will still stink.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:55 PM
medtech
Drifting

I'm seriously interested in the car. I'll take off the stickers if I get it. I love the front splitter, rear bumper and accent colors. He claims it has 400-420 horsepower and will outrun a regular GT3. Would I have to pay you to check it out?
Well, this should be interesting...send me the guy's info, and I'll check it out for you. Don't get your hopes up though, the more I hear, the worse this car gets.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The seller also claims that every part has been added to turn it into a GT3RS It's still a narrow body by my review of the photos.

"i have converted it into a gt3 rs with all oem porsche parts"

I don't think so.

Quick Reply: Carrera S converted to GT3 - 60k too much?