Sponsored by:

TPMS Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:48 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Problems

I'm hopping someone here can help me out because I'm getting a little frustrated. Brand new 2009 C4S purchased about 3 weeks ago. From day one, the TPMS was inactive. Going into the onboard computer and selecting the tire again caused it to learn for about 5 minutes, after which it would just beep that it's inactive, as it does every time I turn on the car. Went to the dealer, and so far they have tried doing a "handoff," resetting the ECU, and even replacing the TPMS module. All times, it says "learning" for about 5-10 minutes, and then just beeps that the system is inactive. I also am unable to go in via the onboard computer and select a tire size or any other parameters. Any suggestions on steps I can take or issues I can bring up with the dealer to get this problem resolved?
Old 09-10-2009, 11:48 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

dealer has to fix it - what's their plan now?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:14 PM
camhabib
Instructor

The are going to try to replace all the sensors in the tires. I have a feeling that isn't the problem either, as when you hook the computer up to the car, it reports that none of the tires can be read. They said the failure of one tire is slim, but all four would be nearly impossible.

I just found it odd that it wouldn't let me select a tire size via the onboard computer, as it shown in the manual. I thought there may have been a way to reset it or something that they tech hadn't tried yet.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

As they said, all 4 being bad is slim... (assuming there are sensors there to start with).

More likely is that the TPMS computer is broken somehow, from the receivers that read the wheel sensors to the computer in the console that reports it via the PCM.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Concur that to put 4 new sensors in is unlikely. What's that Occam's Razor thing? What's most likely is the central thingy is screwed up. It's a waste of time dismounting 4 tires....
Old 09-12-2009, 06:29 PM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure that in the TPMS menu selection that you have it set to "partial" passenger load rather than "full" passenger load.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:33 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeShark
Make sure that in the TPMS menu selection that you have it set to "partial" passenger load rather than "full" passenger load.
Can you explain that? Is that a users manual requirement?

Trending Topics

Old 09-12-2009, 10:09 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Either way, partial or full, summer or winter, the system will not learn.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:26 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Sorry; I don't get it. Make this your dealer's problem. Why are you wasting mental energy on it?
Old 09-13-2009, 03:05 AM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Can you explain that? Is that a users manual requirement?
Not sure what you mean but it is listed as an option when you go through the column menu in the same menu choices as selecting summer versus winter tires. Menu gives you this choice for partial vesus full passenger load.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:28 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Not sure what you mean but it is listed as an option when you go through the column menu in the same menu choices as selecting summer versus winter tires. Menu gives you this choice for partial vesus full passenger load.
Sure, but that is just a param setting. TPMS should work in either load state and if set for full load and lower pressure raise a flag.

My money is that the OP has either a bad module somewhere or a bad connection; I bet the sensors are fine. This is one of those situations in need of a mechanic who can diagnose a problem with his head and does not rely solely on computerized diagnostic tools.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:02 AM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can the dealer put your tires an another car? If the TPMS functions correctly they will know it is not the sensors. And if they could do the reverse (known functioning tires/rims from another car) that would confirm the problem is in the car which they should already know.

Sorry to hear this and they need to make it right.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:38 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
Sure, but that is just a param setting. TPMS should work in either load state and if set for full load and lower pressure raise a flag.

My money is that the OP has either a bad module somewhere or a bad connection; I bet the sensors are fine. This is one of those situations in need of a mechanic who can diagnose a problem with his head and does not rely solely on computerized diagnostic tools.
The module was already replaced, and as far as I can understand, the system can communicate correctly with the module.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:28 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche has never really had this one fixed since it came out. Just ignore it. It caused us fits in the GT3 world So alot of us just went to the dealer and had it disconnected. If you get a new set of wheels it wont work anyway unless you change sensors.
HOWEVER like it was said it was here make it your dealers problem. I used it only to check differential between tires.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:06 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I gave up on mine. 90% of the time it works...then all wheels go blank. Re-program and will "learn" but wheels stay blank with no pressure indication. Then when it wants....works again. Dealer was useless...they checked it with their computer and couldn't find anything wrong. Soooo, I just live with it.
abe

Quick Reply: TPMS Problems