Sponsored by:

Battery maintenance without a trickle charger

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Battery maintenance without a trickle charger

I got storage space for my 997, problem is that there is no electricity available in storage area so I cannot hook up battery maintainer. How much and how often do I need to drive car to keep battery maintained and car in good working condition?
Old 09-07-2009, 10:07 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You are saying that there are no lights in the space either? No electric at all?

If there are lights there is electricity...tap into it. or drive at least 1x per week
Old 09-07-2009, 11:12 PM
talkinghead
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
I got storage space for my 997, problem is that there is no electricity available in storage area so I cannot hook up battery maintainer. How much and how often do I need to drive car to keep battery maintained and car in good working condition?
You could do what I have done with my boat....get a solar panel charger, either a used VW on eBay or one from Harbor Frt and run the wire and unit outside somewhere. Works great to maintain a charge, just be sure it's fully charged to begin with.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The solar ones CAN get you by but another trick is to drive it occasionally, but avoid using a lot of the electrical features of the car in the last ten miles or so. Give the car's charging system a chance to keep up. Sadly, these cars do consume power,--all the time. One thing you can do to stave off electrical use when parked is to lock it manually with the key,--not using the remote feature. I think that will allow the remote feature to go to sleep earlier. May have to read up more on that one, though.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes MJ - no electric whatsoever. So driving once/week for about 10 miles should be enough? That is probably better for the engine/tires also.

Quick Reply: Battery maintenance without a trickle charger