Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuch Flashbacks

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Iozzio
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two piece or not these are forged wheels, the rim is forged and so is the center. I never claimed that I was building a one piece forged wheel. I have said from the very beginning that these are forged two piece. If you still feel these are not a forged wheel please feel free to call Dave at Schott Wheels and discuss it with him. He and Mike have been in the wheel business for 20 years. These are also based on an early 15" original not a later 16" with a stepped lip. Of course the 17" center is going to look strange to most people because it is so much larger than the look of an original 15" single lipped wheel

Bottom line I am trying to build a highend, custom, early looking, Fuchs style wheel that is affordable. I would like to see you compare apples to apples and compare it to another forged, two piece, "early" Fuchs style 17" rim for around $550. If you find one fitting all of those points let me know. Thanks again I do appreciate the good feedback so far.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:19 AM
Iozzio
Track Day

[QUOTE=Edgy01;6898868]You may need to watch yourself with the use of the term "Fuchs." Another manufacturer is now licensed to use that name in America,--to make forged one-piece wheels.[/QUOTE

What is the estimated cost of these one piece wheels? and what sizes will be available? When you say manufacturer, who is it?

Last edited by Iozzio; 09-14-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:09 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I appreciate the work that you're going through but your market is entirely different than this one (997, 996, 993 Porsches). The folks that are soon manufacturing the one piece forged (in the Fuchs KG tradition) have been designing and now tooling up for about 4 years now. This sort of product can't be simply milled out of billet aluminum in order to get the strength a one piece forged wheel has. When you're dealing with aluminum, there is nothing stronger for the weight than a one piece forging.

The price of the one piece wheels is still being sorted out. Since the first wheels have not been produced it's impossible at this point to give you a price. Clearly, as your process is significantly simpler, your price is lower. (Ironically, proper one piece Fuchs alloys from Fuchs KG used to be priced about where your prices are,--but this was some time ago).

Several sizes are in the works, starting with 19s and 20s. They also will be manufacturing 18s. The ET or offset is also a big part of the formula. Several offsets are planned.

I'm sorry that I can't provide more information due to business secrecy, but can assure the forum members that these new Fuchs wheels will be of the highest quality, and strength. I have seen the CAD/CAM drawings of their designs and can assure you that they have figured out how to deal with the increased diameter needs of these modern wheels vis-a-vis the traditional OTTO FUCHS windmill pattern we have all come to love. (Ref: http://www.fuchsfelge.de/index.php?id=140&L=1 )
Old 09-14-2009, 09:21 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a company, "Blownsixdesign.com", that makes a forged wheel in the Fuchs style that is a three piece modular wheel. "B6Retro". They look interesting. Available in a variety of diameters, offsets and finishes.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

And of course, Mike Lindsey in OKC, also makes up to a 17 inch rim based upon the Fuchs centers. It is, however, manufactured from several pieces. (I know Mike personally and he does excellent work). We need to use caution, however, because of metal fatigue. Even forged aluminum will age.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:01 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I have seen the CAD/CAM drawings of their designs and can assure you that they have figured out how to deal with the increased diameter needs of these modern wheels vis-a-vis the traditional OTTO FUCHS windmill pattern we have all come to love. (Ref: http://www.fuchsfelge.de/index.php?id=140&L=1 )
Dan, excellent link ... especially for those not familiar with the Fuchs Forging process ...
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2009, 02:09 AM
Iozzio
Track Day

Guys, guys, guys.....funny how things get so off topic. Earlier I asked if you knew of any other DOT tested, 17", narrow lipped, 2pc forged Fuchs "early" style wheels being manufactured in the world? I am interested in comparing apples to apples. Cheers
Old 09-15-2009, 02:18 AM
Iozzio
Track Day

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Dan, excellent link ... especially for those not familiar with the Fuchs Forging process ...
I am fully aware of the forging process it is what my wheels go through also, starting with bar stock, forging and on to final machining. If a few of you are questioning the strength of my wheels please feel free to contact the guys over at Schott Wheels and discuss it with them. I will remind you that they have been building wheels for heavier vehicles like SUV's safely without any problems for several years now. I will also put my trust in the DOT testing. Cheers
Old 09-15-2009, 03:45 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Iozzio,--I suspect many here would be interested in the specs on your wheels.

Please list diameter (e.g., 17 inch), width (in inches), offset(s) available, and weight in lbs and ozs. sans valve stems.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Iozzio
Track Day

Here are some specs the production wheels will have:
17" design based on an original early 911 15" Fuchs Porsche alloy
CAD designed and custom forged, not cast
Any Offsets from +12mm (4.5” backspace) and +80mm (7.125” backspace)
The center can accommodate Bolt patterns 5X130, chevy 5x4.75
17" wheels available in 7",8" and 10" widths
18" wheels will be available in 7,8,9 and 11" widths
Extra long mounting pad to eliminate need for wheel spacers
SFI/DOT standard tested
T6061 aluminum
Accepts an original 70mm Porsche center cap
Available in fully polished and classic black/polished finishes
Ceramic painted
Ceramic clearcoat also available
Hidden valve stems
Made in the USA
Weight will be known when we cut and assemble the first production wheel.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:19 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Thanks for compiling and reporting your specs.

I think the issue with the look of your wheels is the early 15 Fuchs were a very deep offset wheel. I think the most favorite look with the Porsche guys is the 16 inch rim with widths like 7, 8, 9 inch. They are markedly different from the early Fuchs with that deep offset. Those are most popular with the Bug and Ghia guys.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Iozzio
Track Day

Dan,
Your right the aircooled VW crowd is going nuts over this new wheel. But I also had hopes of selling a few sets to the Porsche crowd. One of my main goals for building this wheel was to offer an original Fuchs look in a 17" wheel. So that an early Porsche owner could switch over from 15" Fuchs to 17" without sacrificing an original look like you do when you go to a BBS or Fikse etc. I also figured that more early, narrow body Porsche owners would be the larger client base. Surprisingly, there have been quite a few widebody owners interested lately. I also think there are already too many companies making 17" rims based on the 16" Fuchs your talking about (Rota, Jeff Alton/Zuffenhaus, 8200 RPM, Lindsay racing, etc). I also think that original narrow, single lip early 15" Fuchs wheels look alot better than the later stepped 16" Fuchs. If you do a Google search for my wheels you will see that other Porsche & Volkswagen owners are starting to take notice and like the look of these new Iozzio wheels. I'm not looking to get rich, just build and produce the best wheel I can for the few people that want the best. Cheers
Old 09-17-2009, 01:44 AM
Iozzio
Track Day

17" next to a 15" original
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...er=asc&start=0
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2009, 02:05 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well done...