Sponsored by:

Arrogant Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:44 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
like most sales, it's a hard way to scrape out a living.
With some effort sales is by far one of the most lucrative professions. Sure, it's not as easy as F-ing people out their hard earned money on an hourly rate, but it drives our economy instead of crippling it as so many lawyers do.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:05 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by todd.
With some effort sales is by far one of the most lucrative professions. Sure, it's not as easy as F-ing people out their hard earned money on an hourly rate, but it drives our economy instead of crippling it as so many lawyers do.
Indeed. When I think of respectible professions, I think of firefighters and the brave people in sales.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:16 PM
9elf S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
Actually, the lawyers that make real money don't charge by the hour.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:17 PM
997S4KEN
AutoX

Sales are feast or famine. The highs and lows, very hard profession to be in.
Back to the OP. For those in SO-Cal, I went to the local Rusnak BMW, usually great sales people, meet up with a real ****** of a guy, made it worse that I was with my family. He could of gave a crap that we were there. Went to the the Land Rover dealership, same a**hole attitude from this one older gal. Were in the market to swap one of our older vehicles so this didnt help matters.

Sooo I fell you, but like someone at another dealership said let the a**hole be to themselves, and continue on your own journey.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by At Law
Just be happy you don't have to sell cars for a living.
I can only imagine, like most sales, it's a hard way to scrape out a living.
That's just great, here comes the socioeconomic commentary...
Old 09-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
That's just great, here comes the socioeconomic commentary...
Commentary? Everyone is rich and good looking on the internet, we're all equals
Old 09-09-2009, 04:45 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think there is a person alive who would disagree
with me saying sales is a tough profession. Whether you're
selling cars, boats, computers, or gum *****, it's all the same.

You get on the phone and ask people for money--that's damn tough.

No one ever says when they're a kid, "When I grow up, I want
to be a salesman." It's just something that happens. Good or bad.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Trader220
Race Car

There are a lot of people who grow up and want to go into sales. I left a 20 year career as a professional options trader having owned seats on 3 different exchanges because I wanted to get into the Porsche business. Incidentally I passed on Law School when I signed my first contract with a large firm to work on the exchange floor.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Most arrogant salesman I ever encountered used to be with Don Rosen in Conchy.
I went there looking to buy a new 996 back in '99
I was looking to order a car, but the salesman insisted we test drive a slightly used one, with navigation...that he was selling at full list price.
I stated that I wanted neither navigation nor a used car, but he continued the full court press...he was determined to sell me that car..that day.
He told me repeatedly that there would not be any discount on an ordered car...my best bet was to drive away in his used car..tonight !
Next day I took myself over to Cherry Hill Porsche, where a 6% discount and no B.S. made me a customer...
Old 09-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 997, esq
Indeed. When I think of respectible professions, I think of firefighters and the brave people in sales.
LOL. Thank you
Old 09-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Originally Posted by PTpeecar
Most arrogant salesman I ever encountered used to be with Don Rosen in Conchy.
I went there looking to buy a new 996 back in '99
I was looking to order a car, but the salesman insisted we test drive a slightly used one, with navigation...that he was selling at full list price.
I stated that I wanted neither navigation nor a used car, but he continued the full court press...he was determined to sell me that car..that day.
He told me repeatedly that there would not be any discount on an ordered car...my best bet was to drive away in his used car..tonight !
Next day I took myself over to Cherry Hill Porsche, where a 6% discount and no B.S. made me a customer...
I am over at DR and I know the owners at Cherry Hill very well. DR is now owned by someone else, we bought the name when the deal was done. I was over at Cherry Hill on Saturday just looking around to see how they do things and they had a number of 2008 left overs which the sales guy kept trying to steer me into. I sort of chuckled to myself since I have been selling the same model 2009's for less than he was asking for the 08.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:25 AM
ClaylG
Instructor

By the same token, I don't know of any kid that says "When I grow up, I want to be a lawyer!" When it comes right down to it, it's all about quality of life, and enjoying what you do for a living. I've been selling medical equipment for over 15 years now and couldn't enjoy it anymore than I do -- it pays very well, I work out of a home-based office (which means no rush hour traffic to deal with if I don't want to), I set my own schedule, my boss doesn't ride my *** and I sell a product that is in demand and will be for decades to come.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ClaylG
By the same token, I don't know of any kid that says "When I grow up, I want to be a lawyer!" When it comes right down to it, it's all about quality of life, and enjoying what you do for a living. I've been selling medical equipment for over 15 years now and couldn't enjoy it anymore than I do -- it pays very well, I work out of a home-based office (which means no rush hour traffic to deal with if I don't want to), I set my own schedule, my boss doesn't ride my *** and I sell a product that is in demand and will be for decades to come.
Not true. I always wanted to be a lawyer, and -- if your practicing at the right level -- it can be a terrific job. And, FWIW, I think salesmanship is a rare skill, and that working sales can be very lucrative and -- perhaps even -- rewarding on a deeper level. Also, to a large extent, this is a false dichotomy. Lawyers in private practice are in 'sales' to some extent also. When we go and ask some company to hire us over someone else, we're selling something.

Bringing this back to the OP, I think it is because I am essentially in client service / sales that I get annoyed when I have to deal with salesperson who doesn't take a business-like, respectful approach to their job. I understand that someone might not want to pay my rates and that someone might not want to sell a car for x dollars, but there's an appropriate way to deliver that message.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Trader220
Race Car

997, esq

Where I agree with you on most points, the only issue is the word "appropriate". What some people feel is appropriate others do not. I am not saying the sales guy was or was not appropriate but all too often Porsche sales people get lumped together on this forum and like any other profession there are good ones and bad.

Quick Reply: Arrogant Dealers