Sponsored by:

The trick to parking a Porsche in a Parking Garage

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:21 PM
davtes
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking The trick to parking a Porsche in a Parking Garage

I work in Manhattan every day, but brought my 997 into the city for the first time today. There are many concerns about how they will treat your car....cramming it into a tiny spot, backing into something, pulling a Ferris Bueler Day off (remember when Ferris parks his dad's beloved Ferrari in a public garage and the attendant takes it for an aggressive joy ride) so today, i simply flipped the guy a $20 spot upon entering, gave him a knowing nod and asked him to take care of my baby. When i returned, my baby was right next to their little office, no other car in site. $20 bucks may sound like a lot, but i think anyone who can afford a 997 can occassionally pony up to keep their car looking perfect.

So that's my trick...anyone have any other tricks or good stories to share? Btw, that same $20 will get you into just about any top restaurant in NYC that says they are all booked up.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:41 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Originally Posted by davtes
I work in Manhattan every day, but brought my 997 into the city for the first time today. There are many concerns about how they will treat your car....cramming it into a tiny spot, backing into something, pulling a Ferris Bueler Day off (remember when Ferris parks his dad's beloved Ferrari in a public garage and the attendant takes it for an aggressive joy ride) so today, i simply flipped the guy a $20 spot upon entering, gave him a knowing nod and asked him to take care of my baby. When i returned, my baby was right next to their little office, no other car in site. $20 bucks may sound like a lot, but i think anyone who can afford a 997 can occassionally pony up to keep their car looking perfect.

So that's my trick...anyone have any other tricks or good stories to share? Btw, that same $20 will get you into just about any top restaurant in NYC that says they are all booked up.
Mate - we're in Manhattan week after next. Does that $20 at restaurants work for drop ins?
Old 09-04-2009, 01:04 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

money works wherever you go... franklin works, grant works better, benjamin holds it down.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:15 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

On my first day working in Manhattan on 127th E, I saw the parking areas! Smaller than my first girlfriends *****! That was it. I quit and moved to Soccoro New Mexico. THERE is LOTS of parking!!! Now the amenities are not quite Five Star NYC! But it has its own charms. The Hotel I stayed in (OK Motor drive through) had 5 bunks in it for beds on a tile floor and sink had vice grips for water faucet *****. But the BUG spray can was FULL by the toilet!! How often does that happen. Some dog followed me into the room and took one of the bottom bunks. But there wasnt ANOTHER car in the WHOLE lot. AND the room didnt even COST $20!!! a week. Gordon Ramsey hasnt opened up a eatery there yet but the diner serves a MEAN chilli relleno for breakfast and coffee is only 20 cents instead of 6 dollars.
I stayed there for a week and then got my own 3 bedroom 2 outhouse home. The dog followed me home and now rides in my 911 every once in awhile. The town doesnt know much about Porsches and if you say " how do you like my 911?" they will ask if you need a ambulance.

Moral to the story is dont drive your new 997 in Manhattan!!
Anyway all over Soccoro there is LOTS of parking and NO dings!!!!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:34 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

If yo u take too many chances at some point it will have been once too many.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:52 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how anyone could tolerate a 997 in NYC. I'm too accustomed to the spacious parking in the 'burbs, and overall lack of traffic (outside rush hours).
Old 09-04-2009, 02:36 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My trick...don't drive to Manhattan! Reading this makes me feel happy I live where I live. I don't worry too much about parking..almost always free and available. Even a nice restaurant may cost you $4 and if you have nice car they want to park in front. I have even had situations where they didn't want to charge me!
abe
Old 09-04-2009, 03:10 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

wrong attitudes guys.

in the party days i just parked the 930 on the sidewalk outside of clubs and restaurants... 20-50-100 depending

but now, just stuff it in a spot its a just another 997... i put more scratches and dings in my cars than anyone else no how so wtf over?
Old 09-04-2009, 03:24 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I park my car next to loose shopping carts at the local Domincks. So why not valet it?

It's the people who constantly obsess about getting dinged that, paradoxically, get their cars dinged. How many times have we heard of people parking in far away spots at the mall with no one around only to return and find someone else parked right next to them?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:19 AM
davtes
AutoX

Originally Posted by aggie57
Mate - we're in Manhattan week after next. Does that $20 at restaurants work for drop ins?
It does work, but you have to do it properly...if you are calling and they say they do not have anything available, hang up, call back again and politely ask to speak to the manager. Once you have the manager, tell them that you are in from out of town, you really want to go their specific restaurant and if they could help you out you would like to show them your "appreciation" when you get there.

If that does not work or you are doing a drop in, fold up the bill and "introduce yourself" to the host or hostess with a nice hand shake. The 2 hour wait usually becomes, "let me see what i have available".

It blows that you have to play these games, but the choice is to otherwise go somewhere else and often the best places are hard to get into.

Let me know if you need some suggestions on places to go, i have many thoughts on the matter.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:29 AM
davtes
AutoX

Originally Posted by abe
My trick...don't drive to Manhattan! Reading this makes me feel happy I live where I live. I don't worry too much about parking..almost always free and available. Even a nice restaurant may cost you $4 and if you have nice car they want to park in front. I have even had situations where they didn't want to charge me!
abe
but I believe the free parking lots in Southern Cal you reference are called highways

Luckily on a daily basis I live in the burbs and the driving is truly spectacular. We are chock full of twisting, turning, rolling, tree lined roads that are amazing to cruise and really enjoy the 911...when I am not stuck working that is!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:38 AM
DeutschcarNY
AutoX

I park in Manhattan every day. My secret was to find a garage where I can park myself. People are lazy so the only spots always occupied are the ones right next to the elevator.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:39 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I once gave a homeless in Santa Barbara $1 to watch my car....promised him that if he did a good job I would give him $5. That was cheap insurance in a questionable place I had no choice but to park.
abe
Old 09-04-2009, 11:46 AM
helispud
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 21 Posts

If you are in Salt Lake City, stay at the Grand America Hotel. Best parking garage i've ever seen. Lots of spots that are protected on both sides by concrete pillars and if you can't find one of those the regular places are all sized for "SuperTruck" pickups. No problem self-parking, just tell the valets you want to park it yourself. They may have a sad puppy look on their faces but they'll get over it.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:13 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by helispud
If you are in Salt Lake City, stay at the Grand America Hotel. Best parking garage i've ever seen. Lots of spots that are protected on both sides by concrete pillars and if you can't find one of those the regular places are all sized for "SuperTruck" pickups. No problem self-parking, just tell the valets you want to park it yourself. They may have a sad puppy look on their faces but they'll get over it.
When I told valets at The Grand America I was going to self park they told me it wasn't allowed. Solution? Go across the street to Little America and park in their underground garage for free and walk across the street.

Quick Reply: The trick to parking a Porsche in a Parking Garage