Sponsored by:

Use iPhone SIM card with PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:30 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Use iPhone SIM card with PCM?

I see where the PCM accepts the SIM card but has anyone used the iPhone sim card? I haven't tried it because I've heard it will void my iPhone warranty.

I searched forums but see most iphone responses in regards to the Denison kits or the FM modulator kits.

My (lame) salesman told me I could have ATT create a second sim car and insert it. If this isn't possible then I'll get the Denison kit from Eric at Bummper Plugs.

Just my last effort to get my iphone intergrated. Thanks.

Last edited by nota_troll; 08-30-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-30-2009, 10:53 AM
porschestrabeturbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nota_troll
I see where the PCM accepts the SIM card but has anyone used the iPhone sim card? I haven't tried it because I've heard it will void my iPhone warranty.

I searched forums but see most iphone responses in regards to the Denison kits or the FM modulator kits.

My (lame) salesman told me I could have ATT create a second sim car and insert it. If this isn't possible then I'll get the Denison kit from Eric at Bummper Plugs.

Just my last effort to get my iphone intergrated. Thanks.
What year is the car? I have an 07 997 and the PCM integrated phone it came with is the absolute worst!! I wouldn't bother if it is the same version. Install something that works (and offers a mute option since your background noise will always be disruptive to others).
Old 08-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

With GSM phones in Europe, this is a common setup. You have one sim card that stays in the phone and one goes in the car. When starting the car the phone is deactivatd and the car takes over for that phone number ( I believe that folks receiving the call from the car may see a different incoming number). It doesn't always work flawlessly ( what does?). Sometimes to get it to work properly one needs to make one call from the car to get tit to "take over". Again, this setup is common in Europe as GSM is the world standard. Bye the way, I use CDMA fom Verizon and I have not pursued a solution for my car yet.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:25 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is NO difference between the iPhone SIM and any other SIM from AT&T. I regularly swapped my iPhone 2G, 3G, then 3GS SIM into other GSM phones, locked and unlocked, even my PCM without any problem. The only issue is Visual Voice Mail.
As for it voiding your iPhone warranty, that's total BS, they are not connected, they are two separate entities.
If you break your iPhone and buy a Blackberry Bold, which I have done, you can use that same SIM in your Blackberry with AT&T's blessing. You just need to remove the iPhone data plan, add Blackberry data for data functionality, and remove Visual Voicemail. The phone capabilities are unchanged, only data.
Regarding the AT&T employee telling you about making another duplicate SIM, No Way. They would be happy to add another SIM with phone number and wireless plan for $9.99/mo. on a 2-year contract.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:08 PM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

When I purchased my 997.2, I was informed by my sales associate that SIM card option is deactivated for the US bound vehicles.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:41 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kimf70
When I purchased my 997.2, I was informed by my sales associate that SIM card option is deactivated for the US bound vehicles.
How odd they would go to the trouble of putting all that documentation into the US PCM manual.

I have not messed with that feature - not even sure if there's any advantage over a simple BT connection or what - gotta go back and read up on it some time.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:25 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

doesnt void warranty removing SIM card... your warranty is on a product and unless you damage it yourself or cause water damage your warranty is always in tact.

i have heard that it was deactivated for US market tho?
Old 08-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This was one of the reasons I went with a bluetooth solution,--which works extremely well. (Tooki)
Old 08-30-2009, 02:53 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

My car is a 2006 997S (cobalt blue - Todd!). Obviously the seperation is whether or not I need my iPhone/iPod or just phone capabilities.

I guess I'll give it a try.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:00 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
This was one of the reasons I went with a bluetooth solution,--which works extremely well. (Tooki)
Did you use the Denison Tooki combo from Bumper Plugs?
Old 08-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by nota_troll
Did you use the Denison Tooki combo from Bumper Plugs?
Didn't need the other capabilities,--just the Tooki. Installed it myself as it was so easy.

(Installation: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ion-guide.html )
Old 08-30-2009, 04:57 PM
iliasgk74
Intermediate

i have not the option to use my mobile,what needs to work?
Old 08-30-2009, 05:48 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the PCM phone option in my 997s. I went to my local AT&T retail store, and opened a family line in my iPhone account. The AT&T staff gave me a 2nd SIM card, so I could put it in my 997S for good. And yes, the 2nd SIM has its own phone number, so sometimes when I am in a long drive I needed to forward my calls from my iPhone to my 2nd SIM phone number in the 997S.

Does it work? Yes. Is it ideal? No. I like the seamless Bluetooth integration in my wife's Mercedes more...

Regards,
Old 08-30-2009, 06:32 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I have the PCM phone option in my 997s. I went to my local AT&T retail store, and opened a family line in my iPhone account. The AT&T staff gave me a 2nd SIM card, so I could put it in my 997S for good. And yes, the 2nd SIM has its own phone number, so sometimes when I am in a long drive I needed to forward my calls from my iPhone to my 2nd SIM phone number in the 997S.

Does it work? Yes. Is it ideal? No. I like the seamless Bluetooth integration in my wife's Mercedes more...

Regards,
That's interesting. I guess the integration missing is your contacts?
Old 08-30-2009, 10:40 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Can the tooki use the built in Porsche Microphone (the one in the steering column if you have tohe option installed)? Or do you need to install the tooki mic?

Quick Reply: Use iPhone SIM card with PCM?