Use iPhone SIM card with PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:25 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
Can the tooki use the built in Porsche Microphone (the one in the steering column if you have tohe option installed)? Or do you need to install the tooki mic?
The impedance is different, thus, I used their's. I located it in the same general area (but above the existing grill).

It's all fairly easy.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:28 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks edgy. Would love to keep it stock. Hence use the existing microphones. Think I may just get a pay as you go sim... I use verizon and don't want to leave!
Old 08-31-2009, 02:14 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If anybody is getting rid of their stock PCM phone module cheap, I'd be interested in buying one.

I have a spare cell line that I could use in the PCM, and move the Tooki to another car.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:51 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you remove the sim card in an iPhone (3GS)?
Old 08-31-2009, 03:00 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's what I found.

http://www.maclife.com/article/how_t...phone_sim_card
Old 08-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nota_troll
I see where the PCM accepts the SIM card but has anyone used the iPhone sim card? I haven't tried it because I've heard it will void my iPhone warranty.

I searched forums but see most iphone responses in regards to the Denison kits or the FM modulator kits.

My (lame) salesman told me I could have ATT create a second sim car and insert it. If this isn't possible then I'll get the Denison kit from Eric at Bummper Plugs.

Just my last effort to get my iphone intergrated. Thanks.
Does the iPhone not have bluetooth handsfree profile (HFP)? That should be the way you integrate the iPhone into the car as a phone.

The US Phone market is not like the Rest Of World, (as with most electronics) because the US market seems to be run as a closed system mostly. US providers don't provide duplicate SIM cards (though you can have one made overseas if you trust the duplicator and are willing to be sans-phone service for a bit).

In any case, I'm assuming you purchased a car WITH the appropriate PHONE option installed, right? The SIM car slot may be there, but unless you have the option purchased and enabled, that doesn't do you any good. And there are 2 phone options : the SIM in the SLOT option, and the Bluetooth option (and there is a SIM via bluetooth option as well so maybe 3 options).
Old 08-31-2009, 06:24 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Minok
Does the iPhone not have bluetooth handsfree profile (HFP)? That should be the way you integrate the iPhone into the car as a phone.

The US Phone market is not like the Rest Of World, (as with most electronics) because the US market seems to be run as a closed system mostly. US providers don't provide duplicate SIM cards (though you can have one made overseas if you trust the duplicator and are willing to be sans-phone service for a bit).

In any case, I'm assuming you purchased a car WITH the appropriate PHONE option installed, right? The SIM car slot may be there, but unless you have the option purchased and enabled, that doesn't do you any good. And there are 2 phone options : the SIM in the SLOT option, and the Bluetooth option (and there is a SIM via bluetooth option as well so maybe 3 options).
For those of us with 997.1, the only factory phone option was the silly SIM card drawer, and of course the car had to have the phone module behind the drawer. To go to bluetooth, we need to buy a Tooki or Dension bluetooth system.

I don't understand why removal of the SIM card from an iPhone would have any effect on the phone's warranty. I also don't know if a 3G SIM card is compatible with the phone module in the car. Has anyone tried it?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:13 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The impedance is different, thus, I used their's. I located it in the same general area (but above the existing grill).

It's all fairly easy.
Dan, how did you mount the mic to the steering column? it is with adhesive or some type of fastner?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:35 PM
steph280
Instructor

3G SIM cards have been used since the original iPhone, thus SIM cards from all iphones including 3G and 3GS will be compatible. These are just standard GSM cards.

Note: US actually is not in a closed system as far as cellular is concerned, since GSM (used by AT&T and TMobile) is THE international standard implemented just about everywhere. That's why you can roam around other countries with your US cell phone and still make calls. Japan and Korea are two countries with closed cell system, albeit a very advanced one.

But if you have Verizon, not so happy camper....
Old 09-01-2009, 07:01 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by steph280
3G SIM cards have been used since the original iPhone, thus SIM cards from all iphones including 3G and 3GS will be compatible. These are just standard GSM cards.

Note: US actually is not in a closed system as far as cellular is concerned, since GSM (used by AT&T and TMobile) is THE international standard implemented just about everywhere. That's why you can roam around other countries with your US cell phone and still make calls. Japan and Korea are two countries with closed cell system, albeit a very advanced one.

But if you have Verizon, not so happy camper....
Actually, most people with Verizon seem like much happier campers than those with AT&T. Verizon's service quality seems generally better, especially here in LA area.
Do you know if/why removal of an iPhone sim card would have any effect on the phone's warranty? Makes no sense to me. How would they even know if the car was removed/re-inserted? Why would they care?
Old 09-01-2009, 09:52 PM
steph280
Instructor

Actually my Verizon comment was directed at international travelers...their CDMA standard is less used internationally. And guess what, they don't use a SIM card so it won't work in Porsche PCM anyway.

Removal of iPhone SIM car has absolutely no effect on iPhone's warranty. I think they just don't want people swapping SIM cards, because you can literally use your iPhone on another SIM card with non-iPhone plan. People do that to save money. Yes they can tell what type of phone is being used with the SIM card, as there are device ID being transmitted. Last I heard they are cracking down on iPhone users which aren't on proper iPhone plans.

To get the SIM card out of your iphone, just stick a paper clip into the little hole on top of your iphone and out pops the SIM card tray.

Quick Reply: Use iPhone SIM card with PCM?