Sponsored by:

Rennsport-1 Center Muffler 997.2 Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Rennsport-1 Center Muffler 997.2 Review

I am considering this center muffler system so this week I stopped by Rennsport-1 in Pompano Beach FL while on a business trip and checked out their new center muffler system for the 997.2 series cars.

This system is built very nice and it sounds great...really great! With out the side mufflers this is the lightest system going for a 997.2 series car. There is no drone and the car sounds perfect inside and out.

On a 997.2 version I have experienced the full Tubi exhaust system that my friend has and I have experienced the Sharkwerks crossover by- pass pipes and the Fabspeed side muffler by pass pipes.

The rear center Rennsport-1 muffler makes a lot of sense to a guy like me due to much lighter weight and shorter exhaust gas travel. Back in September 08 when I took delivery of my car I emailed a few exhaust manufactures about doing a good center muffler only. I was told it was not needed to it would not work. They all were wrong!

1st off I am already doing something similar to this with the Fabspeed side muffler by pass pipes. On my car I just use the center muffler/resonator with no side mufflers. This stock center muffler is not really a muffler but a resonator and with the Fabspeed by pass pipes the car is loud. It sounds great at the track and for a weekend toy but I would say it is too loud as a daily driver. With my Fabspeed side muffler by pass pipes and center muffle/resonator only there is drone at a little throttle from 2000-2400 rpm and the drone makes it a little hard to talk on the cell phone but it's doable. But that is me and my wife hates the volume of our car.

The Rennsport-1 center muffler allows you to by pass the heavy side mufflers like my Fabspeed pipes but it is much quieter than they way I am doing it with just the stock center muffler/resonator. The Rennsport-1 center muffler sounds extremely good....I mean really good from inside and outside the car. At deceleration you get a nice subdued burble and under throttle the car sound exotic. At part throttle from 2000-2400 rpm there is exhaust sound but not a ton of drone. Obviously this system is louder than stock so inside the car you will naturally hear the exhaust more but it sounds really good and is not annoying. At 2700-3200 there is not much exhaust sound in the car at all. When you get the rpms up further the car sounds very exotic and has a nice wail type of sound that is characteristic of a Porsche. Rennsport-1 did some full throttle fly by's and outside the car the volume was enough so you noticed something exotic was going by but not obnoxiously loud to attract unwanted attention. To me this is the way a Porsche should sound.
Attached Images   
Old 08-28-2009, 11:59 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*SOLD*

I hope they shipped my order today

1. Weight reduction where it matters a lot (rear).
2. No drone.
3. MDrums says it sounds exotic.

That was easy... Thanks Mike!

I will post an update to the forum when I get it installed.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:48 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Just cuz I said it was cool huh? Oh the pressure is on me and my ears. LOL... I wanted to buy it right then and there myself but I have some things comming up I need to budget my self for.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:06 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

mike, sounds good...

u should hear my new exhaust combo.. i think you'd be jealous.. (well not jealous that mine weighs more.. but jealous of how it sounds )
Old 08-29-2009, 01:07 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

they have any dyno runs of this exhaust? im curious to see numbers.. also do you think there are any down low losses due to lack of back pressure? when i had straight pipes before i noticed a big lack of power down low.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:31 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Rijo...They have dyno'd it yet.

I will be at Vortex most of the day on Tuesday getting my lower control arms installed, alignment and oil change. Do you want to pick me up there for lunch? I'd love to hear your car now.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:54 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mdrums
Rijo...They have dyno'd it yet.

I will be at Vortex most of the day on Tuesday getting my lower control arms installed, alignment and oil change. Do you want to pick me up there for lunch? I'd love to hear your car now.
sure... can you just email me monday to remind me... not that ima be doing anything but i have bad short term memory sometimes.lol or just call me tues around 11 cause im 45 mins away..

tons of good places around that area so its good idea...
Old 08-29-2009, 09:01 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

so did you buy this exhaust yet mike? knowing how important weight behind the rear axle is bad for handling this would take quite a bit of weight off back there and be nice alternative to loud secondary bypass'es available currently.

i really love my exhaust but if this sounded close it would be a great swap to lose weight.

i wonder if the gaps left from the absence of side mufflers causes any air flow/downforce problems?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:21 PM
mdrums
Race Director

No I have not bought it yet...but will probably at some point. Just spending money on some other things like DE's, another instructor school, GT3 Cup Lower Control arms, new rear tires and so forth.

Quick Reply: Rennsport-1 Center Muffler 997.2 Review