Sponsored by:

Targa roof question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:57 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Targa roof question...

I was hoping that a Targa might be capable of mounting a roof rack for bike transport and understand that it might not be designed as such...I saw a few photos that suggest a rack is not provided for. Now the question...on dealer websites where Targas are available...the vehicle description states "preparation for roof rack installation" in the Body description. If I could count on a rack, I'd consider a Targa 4S. Anybody know for sure? Thanks!
Old 08-28-2009, 12:29 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

My 997.1 definitely does not have slots for roof racks, and I'm virtually sure the 997.2 Targa roofs are no different. Remember, the roof isn't as strong on the Targa due to the large sunroof.

It doesn't surprise me that some dealers use the wrong description. Most of the people posting their ads either don't know the differences, or aren't careful in differentiating between models. On cars.com I see lots of coupes listed under cabs and vice versa.

An alternative to roof racks for your bike would be a rear rack set up mounted under the rear of the car.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:47 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Thanks man. I'm looking into the rear mount. The body description I quoted was the PCNA form description for a Targa...no dealer invlovement!
Old 08-28-2009, 12:50 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

I'd be really surprised if the roof rack works on the new Targa. Someone out there with a new Targa (Minok?) should be able to confirm. Did you try 6speedonline?

PS: I just PM'd Minok to see if his 997.2 Targa has slots. I'll let you know if I hear back.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There is no roof-rack mounting on the new 997.2 Targa.

The roof design is not set up for attaching carrier bars. If you want transport attached, consider a custom trailer hitch installation to the rear of the car, probably integrated under the car where its removable with a pin, so you don't see any evidence of the receiver assembly when its removed.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:08 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Thumbs up

Found the receiver set-up at Willwood.com. Hides behind the plate. This will be the way to go either C4S or Targa4S. Spoke with Will today...knows his stuff!...Good guy.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:19 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by mambodoc
Found the receiver set-up at Willwood.com. Hides behind the plate. This will be the way to go either C4S or Targa4S. Spoke with Will today...knows his stuff!...Good guy.
Make that www.willwoodsystem.com
Old 08-29-2009, 12:55 AM
ATX
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest this for your Targa.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2009, 02:53 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The 996 Targa could be equipped with a roof rack. It's design is different from the rack that bolts to the roof of a 997 coupe. I purchased the rack and helped install it on my girlfriend's 996 Targa.

She's now in the market for a 997.2, and would like another Targa. We specifically inspected a 997.2 Targa in my dealer's showroom, and realized that the design of the Targa roof was changed with the 997. It no longer accepts any type of roof rack. Since she doesn't want to be stuck without being able to transport her bike, it appears she's going to have to get a coupe instead of the Targa.

Her next thought was a GT3, but that's the only 911 coupe that doesn't have the mounting points on the roof for a rack. The GT3's lack of front clearance is probably an insurmountable problem for her steep driveway anyway. So it looks like she's going to have to "settle" (a relative concept, at best) for a 4S instead.

(Yes, she has another car that can carry her bike. But the Porsche is her primary car in the summer and she doesn't want to be stuck having to give up driving her Porsche just so she can shlep her bike around.)

DMoore
'09 C2S PDK launch model
Old 08-29-2009, 06:19 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Thumbs up

Check out the Willwood website. It's a great set-up. Now I'll consider a Targa. Can't travel without my tricked out Schwinn StingRay.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:30 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

After rall the chatter about the targa, which I always loved, I would definately consider it for my next 997 or 998 or 991 or whatever. I have an 09 C2s cab and although I love it, I think a coupe or targa would better suit me now. I love the openness of the targa. Some may comment on the visual effects with the top open, but I have found that while using the windstop on the cab, from a visilbility standpoint, it must be the same. I've had to use my side mirrors more while the windstop is up and I would think this would be similar to the targa with the top open. So, my vote is for the targa!!! You could probably remove the front wheel, fold the seats down and your bike will fit, just a mine will probably do. So, go for it!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:55 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, the 993 Targa (the first of the current glass top designs) did not have provisions for a roof rack.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:07 AM
mambodoc
Pro

I am leaning toward considering one...though I hesitate with the idea of once out of the showroom into the real world, I'm dealing with dirty roof glass on an hourly basis... I'm nutty about clean glass, and what a battle it is on my Cayenne...one drive on the ocean road and the windshield is covered with salty sea mist...at least I can clean the windshield. The Targa would be my daily driver...if for some reason I can be convinced that the roof glass looking dirty...etc...is not an issue...(its tint, technology, etc..)I'll go for it. Test drive is one thing...living with it is another. Ken has been a big help to date. I've got the bike transport deal straight with Willwood...now my dirty window paranoia to quell. Thanks Y'all.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:33 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would not let your concerns about dirty glass discourage you from owning a Targa. I'm sure sufficient applications of RainX and the purchase of a CR Spotless could handle any exterior glass concerns quite easily.

It is a very unique cockpit driving experience and perhaps the most versatile 911 variant yet introduced (functioning hatchback, coupe/convertible, AWD)....of course if it had an M64 derived engine it would be perfect, but that is for another time and place.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:55 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Thanks ltc. Will check it out this week.

Quick Reply: Targa roof question...