Targa roof question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:41 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
The 996 Targa could be equipped with a roof rack. It's design is different from the rack that bolts to the roof of a 997 coupe. I purchased the rack and helped install it on my girlfriend's 996 Targa.

She's now in the market for a 997.2, and would like another Targa. We specifically inspected a 997.2 Targa in my dealer's showroom, and realized that the design of the Targa roof was changed with the 997. It no longer accepts any type of roof rack. Since she doesn't want to be stuck without being able to transport her bike, it appears she's going to have to get a coupe instead of the Targa.

Her next thought was a GT3, but that's the only 911 coupe that doesn't have the mounting points on the roof for a rack. The GT3's lack of front clearance is probably an insurmountable problem for her steep driveway anyway. So it looks like she's going to have to "settle" (a relative concept, at best) for a 4S instead.

(Yes, she has another car that can carry her bike. But the Porsche is her primary car in the summer and she doesn't want to be stuck having to give up driving her Porsche just so she can shlep her bike around.)

DMoore
'09 C2S PDK launch model
Fantastic girlfriend!!! Is she hot too?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:05 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a 997 Targa ('08) and really liked it. Drove around nearly 90% of the time with the top open. It did feel a bit heavier than a coupe, but the Targa top concept was one that worked well for me.

The downside was the squeeks and creeks. Loved the car, but could not deal with those noises, especially in cold weather.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:11 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmmmmm...Thanks!
Old 08-31-2009, 01:17 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CBejbl
The downside was the squeeks and creeks. Loved the car, but could not deal with those noises, especially in cold weather.
It is hard to believe that the "squeaks and creaks" couldn't have been easily addressed with a little silicone spray on the mating surfaces of the sliding top. I do it about twice a year to my 07, and it is virtually squeak/creak/rattle free as a DD. Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Perhaps Minok can relate his experience with his 09?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The only squeek/creak problem I can report is the place where the glass roof meets the front seal - right at the front of the car. That long seal does creak a bit on occasion, especially in cooler temps when the synthetic parts get stiffer. One can lub the mating surfaces, but I've not found the need to as the tire noise is so much greater than the occasional eek out of the roof.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:21 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Fantastic girlfriend!!! Is she hot too?
She is very pretty and she can drive - If I recall correctly she had the fastest time for the PSDS Master's AutoX, right Dave ?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:11 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Cello:

You're right, that's her. But her fastest run of the day was on the skid pad, not the AutoX. When we were doing free track sessions on the last day of Masters, she was driving a Carrera and passed several people in S's and even Turbos.

She was the fastest student in her Ladies Only class as well. At the end of that program they took her out for a one-on-one track session, which they don't normally do. She was chasing Christian and stayed glued to his bumper. When they came in she asked "why didn't you go faster?" His response was that he wasn't willing to go any faster with a student behind him. I told her she should have tried flashing her lights at him.

We're talking about going back to PSDS. She wants to do master's plus/race license, while I'd prefer to repeat masters. I wish they had the two classes back to back so we could do both in one trip.

She still has her 996 Targa, and I now have an '09 Carrera S PDK. (Fell in love with one at PSDS.) On her favorite mountain road I *still* can't hang with her, despite having 65 more hp, PASM, bigger tires and brakes. If she gets a 4S I'm really in trouble!

PS: It's Dwight, not Dave. But you were close and I've been called much worse.

D(wight) Moore
'09 C2S PDK
Old 09-01-2009, 03:17 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
Cello:

You're right, that's her. But her fastest run of the day was on the skid pad, not the AutoX. When we were doing free track sessions on the last day of Masters, she was driving a Carrera and passed several people in S's and even Turbos.

She was the fastest student in her Ladies Only class as well. At the end of that program they took her out for a one-on-one track session, which they don't normally do. She was chasing Christian and stayed glued to his bumper. When they came in she asked "why didn't you go faster?" His response was that he wasn't willing to go any faster with a student behind him. I told her she should have tried flashing her lights at him.

We're talking about going back to PSDS. She wants to do master's plus/race license, while I'd prefer to repeat masters. I wish they had the two classes back to back so we could do both in one trip.

She still has her 996 Targa, and I now have an '09 Carrera S PDK. (Fell in love with one at PSDS.) On her favorite mountain road I *still* can't hang with her, despite having 65 more hp, PASM, bigger tires and brakes. If she gets a 4S I'm really in trouble!

PS: It's Dwight, not Dave. But you were close and I've been called much worse.

D(wight) Moore
'09 C2S PDK
Dwight - Sorry about the name! Been some time. I remember what you do for a living if that counts for anything ..

Shoot me a PM when you line up the class as I am thinking of sending the wife thru the Performance and maybe doing another Masters (as they tend to be back to back, and maybe, to back in your GF's case).

CJ a/k/a cello
Old 05-12-2010, 09:54 AM
mpbier
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have the 993 targa and have the Porsche rack for it. Fits on no problem. Looks like the 996 does come with a targa specific rack (PN: 996 801 065 00 http://files.porsche.com/internation...hideintro=true). Would be very unfortunate if the 997 did not have a rack option as that would be my replacement car. Absolutely love the 993 targa, cruising down the autobahn in germany at 100mph with the top open - now that's a treat! (faster is also possible, but at 120 it gets a bit loud and windy inside
Old 05-12-2010, 11:40 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're willing to change your bike, you could try one of these. They fit in the back of the Targa.

www.airnimal.com

I bought one of their bikes from Calhoun Cycle in Minneapolis

www.calhouncycle.com
Old 05-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mpbier
Looks like the 996 does come with a targa specific rack ( PN: 996 801 065 00 ). Would be very unfortunate if the 997 did not have a rack option as that would be my replacement car.
Nope... for the 997 Targa, the attachment points for those carrier bars went away. The solution for these cars is to get a custom hitch receiver installed at the back end so you can hang a bike off the rear (adding a few more pounds at the back to make the front a tad lighter)
Old 05-14-2010, 07:51 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the solution I came up with for hauling stuff around while using a C2S as a daily driver. Sorry. I just don't want the scrapes and dings that come up with hauling things in a 997, or any other car. Living in FL, without any snow/need for 4wd, I would grab an old Ford or Chevy p/u as a hauler.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Targa roof question...