Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RMS / Oil leaks covered by CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:02 PM
ssit
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why is that?? p-car is made for tracking and is promoted and sponsored by local dealers lot of time.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:42 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Swoody
Maybe tracking the car will expose the problem earlier....but what I am wondering... is there any stipulation about racing and warranty claims?? Might be best to keep the tracking part under your hat.
Agreed - but cat is out of the bag I have gone with my local dealer, on his invite.

Thanks for all the help fellas. It sounds like the seal they will replace it with is better, who knows.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:47 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
clutch is a consumable item, so it is not covered.
Agreed, but thinking as I have it open I can maybe avoid the labor cost and just pay for parts.

Just trying to prolong or avoid the labor costs of the future.

Having said all that, if they open it and the clutch and pressure plate are socked with oil they may have to. Who knows.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 278 Posts

The CPO does exclude damage from track or racing events, FYI
Old 08-28-2009, 02:00 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
Agreed, but thinking as I have it open I can maybe avoid the labor cost and just pay for parts.

Just trying to prolong or avoid the labor costs of the future.

Having said all that, if they open it and the clutch and pressure plate are socked with oil they may have to. Who knows.
I would base the decision on the amount of clutch wear. If it is worn by more than 50%, I would replace it and save the labor costs. If less than 50%, then you've got lots of life left and you should let it ride...
Old 12-17-2009, 08:26 PM
karlC2
1st Gear

Angry RMS oil leaks Porsche does not admit to

I have a 2005 C2 997 at 31K miles Porsche replaced the RMA and IMS seals both were leaking. Now at 38k miles they are gone again. Repair estimate $1700.
I complained to Porsche and they told me to take it to a deal to get it verified. I did. I called them they told me I had to go back to the dealer and have the engine and trany dropped to properly verify it at my cost. So they must think I am an idiot. They want me to pay for the majority of the repair, the labor and they give me the seals worth about a couple of hundred tops.
Sounds to me as a class action suite is need to get Porsche attention on their problem
Old 12-17-2009, 08:37 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karlC2
I have a 2005 C2 997 at 31K miles Porsche replaced the RMA and IMS seals both were leaking. Now at 38k miles they are gone again. Repair estimate $1700.
I complained to Porsche and they told me to take it to a deal to get it verified. I did. I called them they told me I had to go back to the dealer and have the engine and trany dropped to properly verify it at my cost. So they must think I am an idiot. They want me to pay for the majority of the repair, the labor and they give me the seals worth about a couple of hundred tops.
Sounds to me as a class action suite is need to get Porsche attention on their problem
I take it this is not a CPO vehicle?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:40 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you noticed how all of these RMS issues are in the cars with the 6-speed transmission? Is that because there are significant drivetrain differences in the tip or something else?
Old 12-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Have you noticed how all of these RMS issues are in the cars with the 6-speed transmission? Is that because there are significant drivetrain differences in the tip or something else?
My understanding is the the clutch assembly for the 6MT ( which is heavy) sits far from the closest bearing which is where the RMS is. This extra weight evidently can cause the bearing case to drift downward relative to block(s) causing it to be unaligned with the shaft.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 AM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Originally Posted by agdamis
Well guys my local shop has confirmed that it is infact a RMS. I called my Porsche Dealer Napleton Porsche in Westmont Il and they do cover it under the CPO!

So off it goes to the doctor while I leave on vacation for 2 weeks.

Question 2=> Is this an opportunity to try to get a new clutch, whether they cover it or not?
While the clutch likely would not be covered under warranty, if it were me and I was tracking the car and had the cashola to cover it I would put in an LWFW and a high performance clutch. They're already in there and have to pull the clutch and FW to get to the RMS so you'd should only be on the hook for the parts.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:35 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy21
While the clutch likely would not be covered under warranty, if it were me and I was tracking the car and had the cashola to cover it I would put in an LWFW and a high performance clutch. They're already in there and have to pull the clutch and FW to get to the RMS so you'd should only be on the hook for the parts.
A lot of times they have to replace the flywheel anyway. Good old "dual mass" crap.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:48 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swoody
is there any stipulation about racing and warranty claims??
AFAIK, it "slam-dunk" voids the warranty.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:25 PM
997, esq
Racer

Originally Posted by LlBr
AFAIK, it "slam-dunk" voids the warranty.
Probably true and an understandable position, imo. Even though Porsches are designed to be driven hard, a car that is raced or driven extremely hard is more likely to have problems than a car that is driven in the normal course on the street. Porsche can choose the conditions under which it stands behind its cars. That being said, how would they ever know if the car had been on the track? Other than a ton of overrevs or some obvious racing modifications, I don't see how they'd know, unless you voluntarily told them.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:40 PM
997, esq
Racer

Originally Posted by karlC2
If you read the language in the contract for your repair, it may well only provide that the cost of parts is guaranteed, and that labor costs are not reimbursable. That being said, it wouldn't hurt to push Porsche and the dealer on this. Especially if you purchased the car new, I would think they would be interested in keeping you satisfied. (The same would be true if the car was CPO'd, but I am assuming it is not...) I would imagine you'd have a tougher time if you purchased the car in a private sale... Even then, if is within a year of the repair, it seems unacceptable for the problem to recur from a customer service standpoint, so you may be able to get them to pay for 1/2 or all of the repair.

Quick Reply: RMS / Oil leaks covered by CPO?